Rat Droppings

Just came across this on the interwebs, couldn’t resist to put it in your rat drop box :slight_smile:
rr0.jpg

Here ya go, RR

Think there is a clip of Mr. Kaline demonstrating a pivot driven swing near the end.

I axed the Ron LeFlore question in recognition of the effort he put in: he kept the dream alive by doing uncountable numbers of reps of push ups, situps and pullups while locked in the hole. When I was just a piglet, I ran across an inspirational / motivational article about him, and it stuck.

In other words, he is the quintessential example of a grinder; he kept at it despite extraordinarily daunting odds, and made it to the Show.

Your story ‘bout ridin’ your bike (guessin’ it was CCM Mustang with a banana seat) made me chuckle. Seems there might be a bit o’ the “enthusiast” in ya.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgNenEe0VcE[/youtube]

Thanks IOZ…looks just like me: wide stance…shifting L a little…ready to rumble! :laughing:

Hey Hawg…what country you from. Everytime I try to watch the videos you post I get some kind of comment that it can’t be viewed in this country. What the hell…this is America, we can’t be shut out from anything…and if we are, we’ll bomb the source! Anyway I went over to YouTube and watched it from there…I think! The one I watched was the same time length, but it had Norm Cash in it.

Anyway…Kaline was the dude. The '68 series was the best. I knew going into the games that Kaline would light it up, and he did. Don’t know how many people know this but Al Kaline pledged to himself when he broke into the majors that he would never see a World Series game in person until he played in one. When he finally got there he played the game like he played it in his youth…excitement and passion each and every moment. He was not going to be denied. He batted .379 with 2 HR’s and 8 RBI’s in 7 games. Other than the 1966 Michigan State/Notre Dame football game, the "68 series was the best event I ever watched.

You’re right…banana seats…we thought we were so cool :sunglasses:

Good stuff Hawgman!

RR,
I’m up here in hoserland. Don’t know why the vids don’t play, maybe it’s a clause in a sub paragraph of NAFTA.

The 68 world series is just on the edge of my memory, my bro was pleased that the redbirds didn’t win, that’s all I rememember.

For a certain percentage of the population up here, we learned of Al Kaline as a broadcaster. If you got your TV from the ANIK II satellite, your CBC /ABC / NBC feeds were from Detroit. Let’s go Kroegering!

That’s why you can go to places like Gjoa Haven, Tuktoyaktuk, or (Heaven forbid, Alert) and see folks running around in Red Wings Jerseys.

And yes, that’s Norm Cash in the video. Didn’t stop and check the number on the first pass, my bad.

cheers
hawg1

Did someone say tube amps. These guys absolutely destroyed them. It was not uncommon to see this group stack Marshalls into a jigsaw puzzle back line. Saw them once when they had so many on stage it created loads energy and heat that there was a mirage effect going on over top of them- much like seeing that watery image in a desert.

Everyone in the area knew them well…the antithesis of good clean fun according to the elders…the nastiest guys around…drew crowds and crowds…were banned in many stores…but had a message:

Brothers and Sisters, I want to see a sea of hands out there. Let me see a sea of hands! I want everyone to kick up some noise! I want to hear some revolution out there Brothers! I want to hear a little revolution!. Brothers and Sisters, the time has come for each and every one of you to decide whether you are going to be the problem or whether you are going to be the solution! You must choose Brothers, you must choose! It takes five seconds, five seconds of decision, five seconds to realize your purpose here on the planet! It takes five seconds to realize that it’s time to move, it’s time to get down with it! Brothers, it’s time to testify and I want to know, are you ready to testify? Are you ready? I give you a tesimonial: the MC5

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTXxaTgB49s[/youtube]

Did you see the guys passing the doobie at about :25…gosh those were fun times. This was at Wayne State University in 1970… do you know where your kids are :laughing:

Brian Johnson’s brother?

A lot of pot heads that day for sure…standard pre-concert vitamins.

A Rat rant. Hitting balls this morning and when I’m about halfway done a guy comes up, puts his basket of balls near the outside perimeter area of my station, and walks away. Says nothing. Comes back a while later when I’m just about done, but at the same time a friend of mine arrives to the station with bucket in hand and places it down near the ball tray, takes off his jacket to get ready to hit some balls. We arranged to meet there to do some practicing at the same station. I got there a little early to hold the place…but I was not sitting around doing nothing, I was hitting at a brisk pace and not wasting time…having fun with some of the Captain’s feels.

The guy tells my friend- “I’m next, I have my balls right there.” I said “we’re going to hit some more balls.”
The guy goes nuts and says- “You should have said something to me when I placed the basket of balls down.” I calmy responded: “Why is it my responsibility to ensure your time is used efficiently…I have no idea of your intentions and quite frankly I don’t see a need for me to interrupt my session to determine what you want to do.” He goes nuts again and drops a couple F-bombs…gets the manager who comes over and asks me- “Sir, are you going to hit any more balls after your bucket.” I looked at my friend Sam, and Sam said- “never mind Rat, it’s not worth it, I’ll go hit somewhere else”…so I told the manger…"no, I done after this"

But I did point out to the guy that even the manager came over and asked what my plans were because he didn’t know, and neither did you, which to me suggests some kind of pattern, so I suggest asking next time. He called me a smart ass, sat down and waited till I was done.

I understand both sides of the argument…but while the guy was hitting, a few people from down the line came over and said to me that I was correct… the guy was a presumptuous ass.

I always ask 2 questions. 1. Are you finished after those and 2. Is anybody waiting.

Takes on this? That guy really pissed me off…hope he shows up at my range…may have a little surprise for him…but that would be passive-aggressive.

Fire away…what’s proper? :slight_smile:

I would say without a doubt that guy was a total A-hole. It is a tricky situation though, and how you handled it/would handle it in terms of asking if they’ll be hitting more balls etc., is the way to do it. One of the difficulties is that some people get flustered with someone watching, so if you plonk the bag and balls down and stand there waiting, it can make it tough for the person. But when it’s busy, and spots are scarce, there should really be an understanding of what’s going on, and if there isn’t, there’s an asshole involved. Personally, I would’ve gone and got more balls even if I didn’t want to :smiley: I’m very mature.

It may seem like a “Petty” solution, but it feels good :smiley:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUTXb-ga1fo[/youtube]

Thanks Bom…pretty cool Petty stuff. I stand my ground on everything…gets me in trouble at times but who in the hell cares!

I think what the guy was doing was trying to reserve 3 spots at the same time maybe- which I’ve sadly seen before by placing their bucket at one location, their gear at another, while standing near a third. Boy does that ever send me through the roof.

I love it when people watch me practice…a little show off time! In fact, when I was finishing up the last few balls in the bucket before surrendering to Mr. Goofball, my thoughts were “match this Bubba!”. I watched him hit a few and well, it wasn’t the best of stuff for sure.

I simply refuse to take-on someone’s responsiblity to ask by me interrupting my session in order to make sure their day is well planned …it’s against all things Rat!

It’s happened before…and I have gone and got more balls. :laughing:

I was thinking if I ever see the guy @ our range I might pipe out the following. I was thinking of Communication Breakdown from Zepplin…but this fits too! Cheers Bom
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak8suW-JBzE[/youtube]

I can’t listen to, or think of, The Alan Parsons Project without thinking of this…cracks me up! The end of the clip may be another way of dealing with that situation, actually…
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqos3j07jzc[/youtube]

Wow! You don’t want to mess with The Rat.

Rat, don’t you know the first rule of Fight Club?

No…sorry to say I don’t :blush: Is it smashing his face and not apologizing? :laughing:

Speaking about a scuffle…

When it comes to Lag I’m not sure if I should kick his butt, or bow to the master: my favorite fairway woods- Hogan Speed Slots- won’t do anymore and I’m pissed but content at the same time…if that makes sense.

I’m experiencing that over-acceleration [size=150]black hole[/size], as I define it, when firing these shafts that are 75gm graphite. Not enough pressure in the hands. Now I’m going to have to switch them out. I can still use them, but I have to make some adjustments and cut down the acceleration a touch to get them to work like I want. And I don’t like the fact that I have to hold down acceleration a touch- when I want to go hard, I want things to stay with me through hand pressures.

It’s funny, I’m now using Apex 4’s in my irons- down 3* from standard, and open a touch and you couldn’t get them away from me now. Last year at this time if was told my Apex 3’s were too soft I would have disagreed. As a swinger maybe, but not for hand and shaft pressure. I’m flushing Apex 4’s so well it’s almost seems too easy…easy in that it forces the workload which I enjoy. I’ve also noticed the location change of the clubface ball markings/scuff. The center point of compression has moved about 1/2 to 3/4 inches inward toward the hosel…as opposed to last year when it was dead center.

Now I just have to make some changes with the woods- either go heavy steel or heavy, firm graphite. I don’t even like the look of my frying pan anymore. When I look at it the first thing I see are the adjustments that need to be made. I can do it, but I’m questioning why.

So it’s either brass knuckles for Lag…or hope the bowing doesn’t expose too much of my balding noggin. The answer is easy really! :sunglasses:

Which brings me to a medical question of sorts…maybe for Hawg1 or Two…it seems like ballplayers and golfers tend to be thin on top. Is there something about wearing a hat that promotes this. Maybe too much stored heat? :slight_smile:

My dear Ratus Locus,

And thus began one of my uncle’s infamous rants. He was absolutely convinced that it was the fallout from wep testing in Nevada that was responsible MPB. He swore it had nuttin’ to do with the cumulative effect of a lid band wearin’ against yer dome. Or heat buildup. Or sanguine attenuation from wearin’ a lid too tight.

I’m not so sure. I’ve always maintained that since the operative feedback loop controlling follicle regeneration is degraded by testosterone, a “solar panel” is really indicative of well developed wedding tackle.

But yeah, the correlation between former hat-wearin’ jocks and chrome-domes is valid. Exactly what the co-variable is, though, remains to be seen. Scope it out, and you WILL become the richest dude in the world. By an order of magnitude. Mr. Bill will want to ride on YOUR boat.

For the record, I’ve been sportin’ the Kojak coif since well before the turn of the century.

As for your open question ‘bout the (insert your noun of choice here) on the driving range hornin’ in on your stall, well, if it were me, I’d just look him in eye and drawl “I’m not done yet.” Generally, this causes a puddle to occur. If it doesn’t, a follow up of “My friend will be here shortly” will generally suffice. And if that does’t work (Hey, even Jack Russels have a place on this green Earth too, yanno), a brownie in the palm of the Range Dude seems to always cause even the biggest Garrulous Obtuse Obstreperous Fellow to be shunted to some place other than in your bizness. It’s all a matter of degree, isn’t it?

Of course, to earn full style points, you could try something like “Dude, I’m working on my trick shots today. I’ll give ya three Jacks if ya lay down on the mat, hold a golf ball between yer teeth, and lemme do my best John Daly impression. Whatta ya say, Champ?”

And folks who dont’ understand the game say golf is boring.

Cheers,
hawg1

Hawg, that’s the funniest post I’ve read in a long time. Thanks :laughing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvRxA8gR7bw[/youtube]

A great player…so unassuming and one with his own.

It sounds like two players at the same time if you let it. One carrying the load, and one carrying the rhythm. Great players can do that naturally. A friend of mine who’s toured the planet with some of the biggest names can play the same way. We used to play some together and it’s like they can draw a line in the sand that no one crosses and carries all to the finish line.

Now as I was watching that the first thing that came to my mind is “let’s have some light percussion going.” Then I saw 4 coffee mugs, an old metal coffee pot, and a wooden table…hmmm!

One carries the load…one carries the rhythm…sounds applicable to me in more ways than one while at the crossroads!

Thanks for posting that Bom. :slight_smile:

Oooh, a coffee pot shuffle would sound soooo good under that…

Wooden spoons for sticks. A left foot stomp for the snare. Trust the guitar for the downbeat.

BTW Bomb, you get wicked Karma points for introducin’ real blues into this thread. In some parts they call that testifyin’. Props to you dude.

hawg1

Good stuff Hawg…

So Mall Rat comes up with another good one today…and goes to heavier versus lighter gear.

We’re at our tax preparer for our annual bend over exam and all is going according to plan…we’re screwed again!. Does anyone else feel like they are puppets on a string…being slaves to a debtor nation. Ok…enough about politics.

Now Mall Rat needs to sign something and asks the guy who is trying to save our hides from Uncle Sam to borrow a pen. He hands her a rather regular looking to the eye pen , but as soon as her bread making fingers latch onto it and starts writing says…“geez, do I like this pen, it has nice weight to it.” The guy agrees with her comments and she says “it has enough weight to make it steadier and easier to handle.”

May have to sign her up for some module stuff…she may be a natural and not even know it :laughing: