Rat Droppings

LOL… my guess is that el capataino will weigh-in… particularly if there’s the hint of innuendo. :slight_smile:

Close Eagle…I think. If I am picturing what you said correctly one would finish with 3 “V’s”,

Anyway, I was having coffee the other morning looking out our great room windows, which not only have muntins within them, but has a half moon piece connected on top which also has 3 muntins within it. Looks something like this:

arc1.JPG

Just thought it was a descriptive image as far as images go, and by extrapolating one might be able to see some interesting shaft relationships within an arc.

I find these types of visuals fascinating in many respects as rats love images to occupy what little grey matter they have :laughing:

You tRicked me …my eyes see 4 straight lines in your drawing …

Sorry Eagle…didn’t try to mislead. Maybe I should have included in the riddle that a “closure” principle would have to be employed. Didn’t want to make it too easy. :laughing:

I really like images. I was saying before that trying to verbally describe a spiral staircase without using non-verbal instruments, like our hands, makes the task is nearly impossible. But when we use the image from our mind about how a sprial staircase looks, using our hands makes it easy. I think that speaks to mental images being reproduced by our physical self. Like an artist…they have an image in their mind and can create that image by application of everything not part of the image.

Here’s another topic about head movement that I have always found interesting. If one were to stand in a crowded room and count the number of people in the room while having their hands in their pocket, their head will have a strong propensity to execute a “slight nod” for each count…25 people, 25 slight nods. Try it, or have someone count something, and watch their head. Anyone have ideas about why that happens? :sunglasses:

No problem about the lines…in fact, it shows how easily people( or birds and rats) can miscommunicate, or see different stuff.

Good question about the head nod…don’t know the answer. Maybe it’s a subconscious confirmation of each addition, or simply substituting the head nod since the hand cannot be used.

Who said the 60’s was an era of hippie waste? Not me. It was an endless maze for some, but not for rats. I always liked this song’s chorus to even out the highs and lows. :laughing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLv7viCMGo8[/youtube]

In order to “pipe it” in this game one has to have a lot of heart and willingness to pursue excellence with fire and passion- while taking a back seat to no variable at any cost!

Heart and passion- a great mix. This song brings the best “pipes” in the business to the front, and the level of passion needed to drive it home where it belongs. :slight_smile:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W52PP3lYlUs[/youtube]

Lots of good music posted on this thread. I have wondered, and asked before, if those of you who have some musical talent have an advantage in golf over those like me who are musically deficient. Is your talent conducive to learning and performing a good swing?

I remember seeing a TV program once, that showed some challenged children, who responded unexpectedly and surprisingly well to music. I cannot remember what skill it was …whether talking ,singing, memorizing, or some physical act…just the results were remarkable.

“The King’s Speech” is a good movie. It tells the story of King George VI and his struggle with stuttering. Apparently, there are “conditions conducive to stuttering”…and it strikes me that many of these also are conditions conducive to bad shots, or bad putts, usually anxiety related things. Conversely, there are conditions conducive to not stuttering…such as singing, listening to music with headphones ( shown in the movie), talking to pets, etc.

Back to golf, RR, and music. Not long ago RR educated me on the 5/4 beat, and gave Jethro Tull’s “Living in the Past” as an example. That song caused an almost instant improvement in my ability to learn a back swing and transition move. I’m still not there yet, but a giant step has been made.

Is there something about music that can help all of us speed our learning and performing the swing? If so, let’s hear it!

I

Here’s a couple more 5/4 tunes that might be fun to swing to. I agree, the 5/4 metering is much more of a golf meter than 4/4 because it has that extra beat in the middle to allow for transition.

advancedballstriking.com/5a.m4a
“Take Five”

advancedballstriking.com/5b.m4a
“Everything’s Alright”

I don’t think it absolutely necessary to be musically oriented to swing well…but at the same time I would also argue that we have rhythms within us that may hide under our level of awareness.

Gestation…9 months. Walking…12 months. Puberty…Adulthood…timely or untimely death. Sounds rhymical to me!- the rhythms of life. How long does it take you to walk to your nearest party store? Isn’t that answer based on your internal sense of movement during a segment of time: I can cover this much ground in this amount of time, and based on the distance to the store we can estimate how long it will take. Or, how far do you let your child get ahead of you while walking…since you sense for their safety covering a certain amount of ground in a certain amount of time to save them from oncoming traffic. So inner awareness to space and time is already within us, IMO

Many good nuggets between music and golf. Too many actually to capture in one post. But the above sets a good foundation for further discussion. Got to run for now…but I want to put up some thoughts about how over acceleration from the top, as Lag brilliantly describes, and rushing the tempo during a song, can be the same train wreck…only with different instruments. :slight_smile:

That rushing time idea is great, RR. It’s bang on, as they say. I also really like the drumming rim analogy for acceleration. Nice job, my man…
Cheers…

Range rat wrote

Truer words were never spoken.

Rythm is with us in everything, in all we do.

And it’s all about feel.

I’ve long contended that the real secret ingredient of athletes who make it outa the pack is rhythm awareness. They almost always can dance.

And what is dance if not precision coordination of seperate but related body motions in space. Sound at all like a pivot driven golf swing?

Trust your rhythm. It will help you in ways too complex to groc, let alone explain.

hawg1

Good tunes. Nothing like hearing it, and it definitely helps me execute a different transition. I’m not sure I will be able to replace my lifelong, ingrained transition…it apparently has a big stamp on my swing. Time will tell.

I can see the need for a music thread, and subsequent “Best of ABS” CD or box set. :smiley:

makes sense Hawg - which of our resident pro’s & good players fancy themselves a bit on the dance floor i wonder ?

i feel dance lessons on the way - did my wife put you up to this ? :slight_smile:

Well now! Growing up in Detroit, everyone knows how to do what’s necessary.

We were dancing in the streets before the pavement set.

True story: 1968 High School dance, there was this guy named “Earl” who “dirty danced” long before any thought of it elsewhere, and way before the movie Dirty Dancing. The girls loved Earl and would line up to feel him do his thing…the chaperones went nuts…they were speechless and didn’t know what to do. The dance floor was pure energy and all the older folks just watched with wide-eyed shock. Long live Earl…way ahead of his time. :laughing:

Detroit…the home of Rock and Roll, and Motown…how Cleveland got the Hall of Fame is beyond me…they can’t even hold our jocks.

To Earl…To dancing in the streets…To cigarette packs rolled up in a tee shirt sleeve…To Detroit, and the myriad musical styles within…work and work :sunglasses:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EoI-6lQFIE[/youtube]

Or…how about a full ABS review at the next TRGA in Vegas. The hotel will never be the same!

Lag and Two as Jake and Elwood…and the rest of the gang… :sunglasses:

I think I see Teebox, Robbo, Styles for sure, Bom, IOZ and Eagle shakin a tail feather in that chorus line…maybe even Aiguille although it’s hard to tell with those shades on. Captain will be taking care of the showgirls. :laughing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz-IzCvryqQ[/youtube]

Detroit…from Motown to Eminem…what a range( Rat)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqP1TwuBiK8[/youtube]

Tim wrote

No, she didn’t.

But I feel for ya. I wuz married to a ballerina.

hawg1

Well, mr. Rat
Your first Rat Hole was in the motor city, eh? You sure you don’t have a rat bike hidden away some where?

Here is a vid that might have pix of Earl in it, startin’ bout 2:20 or so.

BTW, who would you consider the golf equivalent of Ron LeFlore?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgNenEe0VcE

Ron LeFlore…now that’s a name from the past. I can’t really think of a convicted felon making it on tour that would be similar to LeFlore being pulled out of Jackson Prison. My guy was, and will forever be, Al Kaline…Good question though.

Your thought about a rat bike stirred some memories and maybe I have been a rat for longer than I care to imagine. When we were kids there was this place called “the spillway”, which was a dredged channel of water going into Lake St. Clair so the surrounding areas wouldn’t become flooded. At the spillway there was this large concrete drain line that ended at the spillway that must have been about 4-5 feet in diameter maybe. At the time, a bunch of us rat buddies had these low-riding bikes that looked similar to a hog cyclye. We would actually ride our bikes deep into the concrete tube…I mean way deep into the darkness. Probably not too bright an idea…but what a way to spend a summer afternoon.

Couldn’t see the vid, it was blocked I guess. :slight_smile: