Great Equipment Alerts

No idea Robbo about the stainless heads and moving them.
The great news for us is that most older models all tend to sit flatter on the lie angle compared to today’s beasts that all want to sit way too upright at address- so they wouldn’t have to be bent as much.
That’s what I have found anyhow

TM.

You may be right. It’s funny how I look at sets I have that I initially setup at 2 flat and they look so horribly upright to me now! The more I feel the older sets, the more I think those guys had it right. I almost pulled the trigger on a set of Powerbilt irons a week ago… nice compact blades, but they were all stainless and I was concerned I wouldn’t be able to get them flat enough.

Put one of today’s standard iron setups in my hands and I can hardly look at it. The toe of the club looks waist high!

robbo

These woods look pretty sweet. Nice grain pattern in the persimmon. The only matter would be they probably need a re shaft

cgi.ebay.com/SPALDING-RARE-Set-W … 7948QQcmdZ

I know AddArnie had some Nagle Chesterfields. Here’s a PGF set of Nagles. Overpriced in my opinion but would be heavy and have nice looking heads

cgi.ebay.com/SET-IRONS-PGF-KEL-N … 0370QQcmdZ

And some Titleist Tour model irons

cgi.ebay.com/TITLEIST-TOUR-MODEL … 4172QQcmdZ

Nice old model Tommy Armours 3 iron thru 9 iron

cgi.ebay.com/Macgregor-Tommy-Arm … 7602QQcmdZ

Hi guys,

What do you think of the Walter Hagen Ultra blades 1971/72 model? I have a set that is sitting in the garage at the moment and am thinking whether to use them all the time instead of my RAC OS2.

Please feel free to give suggestions.

valueguide.pga.com/images/W_Hage … _large.jpg

Just like this one.

pippolo,
I would have those Hagens out swinging around with in an instant

Thanks TwoMasters.

I just forgot to mention that I’m not a good striker of the ball yet. On the other end I ask myself if by using blades like these I won’t improve much faster than by using the super light RacOs 2.

I never in a million years would have thought I would be posting in THIS area…I always liked Lag’s attitude about old gear, and old courses being changed to suit the new equipment, but never much concerned me… I’m a high handicapper after all and wouldn’t I need the latest and greatest “help me” clubs? LOL So…I was goofing around on Ebay…the rest is history!
These are my latest new babies—1974 (I think) Amazingly good shape—grooves are great—Walter Hagen “Ultras” I have been out to the range with them several times and it has been a true learning experience.hagen1.jpg

These things weigh a ton compared to what I was using…heavier overall weight—stiffer shafts…they took some getting used to!!
It was fun hitting 5 or 6 balls alternating between clubs, and feeling the different weights. Some of the things written on various posts regarding heavier clubs are starting to make sense…
Anyway—I’ts a ton of fun looking for these old things…The workmanship is something I doubt we will see againhagen2.JPGhagen7.JPG

oh!! Did i mention a price? How about under a 100 bucks shipped? Crazy…
grooves.JPG

Your improvement will be much more effective using gear that your brain can properly process the information the clubhead sends up the shaft.

If your brain can’t properly tell the difference between flush, super flush, slightly off, really off, slight toe, slight heel, how can you maximize your improvement without true and accurate feedback?

I still believe that the best way to test equipment is to have it tested over a reasonable period of time by premier ball strikers, not non golfing theorists.

Karsten Solheim, who is credited as the father of perimeter weighting, seemed to have figured out a way of making the game easier for the hacker by designing a club that would make miss hits fly straighter and farther. However, he didn’t calculate into his equation the basic element of how we learn the game through precise reliable feedback. Without it, our swing simply becomes less precise.

Last years TRGA Classic Club Open in Las Vegas is an interesting example. Lots of good players who played fine with persimmon and blades in the past, but moved onto “modern” gear, go out and play an event using the old gear. The popular topic of conversation you would hear all week was… “how did we used to hit this stuff?”

A guy that never switched to the new gear, but hadn’t competed in any event for 15 years, wins the event by 7 shots. How can this happen?

Theory?

The players who had switched to “easy to hit” gear, lost their sensitivity to the precision required to hit “feel responsive” gear. The guy who never switched didn’t lose his sense, and pockets the prize money.

What a great looking set… wonderful…
nothing but the feel of flush will come from those when struck correctly, and we are going to show you how to do that here,
so you can get the best out of what you have there…

congrats on the win!

It makes perfect sense Lag. I suppose the winner was you? :smiley:

Decided then, from next game the Hagen are in the bag. Now I just need to find a persimmon driver and 3-wood.

Here is one set of clubs that should make everybody cringe

cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Superstick- … 7950QQcmdZ

The all in one multi club!

Power Built from the 80’s

cgi.ebay.com/Vtg-80s-Classic-H-B … 7282QQcmdZ

A nice set of Wilson.

cgi.ebay.com/Vtg-Wilson-Dave-Mar … 3%26ps%3D6

Hey macs-- I wasn’t going to tell anyone about those!! Had my little eye on them :smiley:

Hey Twomasters,
For all yo do, you deserve those in gold; it will be a shame for any ABSers to bid against you.

I was only joking about getting them !!
I did however see those before you posted and thought they were cool and didn’t think anyone would dig deep enough to find them…you are an ebay digger macs !! Nice find

I GOT "EM!!

Got an almost unhit set of the original 50s Macgrgor MT75 although with a mismatched 9 iron (its a colokrom) but importantly has Lag’s split sole wedge (does not say anything what wedge it is) in darn good condition with leather grips. The Photo is from the seller. More Photos on demand. :smiley:
!BdITM)gB2k~$(KGrHqEOKicEq3-Zi1bHBK3g+fspZQ~~_12.jpg