Great Equipment Alerts

Not bad for $3.30 per club!
Dynas 2-6.jpg
Dynas PW-7.jpg

Wow Mashie they are amazing! Those leather grips look wonderful, I must get hold of some of that lexol stuff for some of the clubs I have with leather grips.

I can’t quite compete with that but I had a set of Dyna’s turn up today. They were supposed to be 1965 2-SW with the 5 iron missing but actually the 2 iron is a button back from 71/72. I wasn’t expecting much as they only cost £10 (approx $16) but they look ok. I thought I could use them as a first set to practice on for things like installing new grips etc. I have attached some pics.

Almost unbelievably the seller also threw in a titleist 975D driver free of charge - head still looks enormous to me now - in fact it is - see the picture. I thought I might try and put a 43 inch stiff steel shaft in, slap the head all over with lead for that ocassional non persimmon round that I play a couple of times a year when expedient.

Cheers,

Arnie
1965 3 iron.JPG
1971 2 iron.JPG
1965 set backs.JPG
1965 faces.JPG
Comparison.JPG

OK, todays top ebay quiz question. Check out this auction and tell me whats not quite as it should be… :laughing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-of-Three-(3)-Dave-Ballester-Persimmon-Woods_W0QQitemZ280409041956QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20091013?IMSfp=TL0910131610004r17040

And Two Masters is disqualified as he already knows the answer!

Oooh nice, that reminds me:
there is a tv show on Dave Ballester showing on BBC One this evening at 22:45 till 23:30 if i remember correctly. bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n9nxc
Too bad i’m trying to get some work done that i should have done yesterday, so I’m afraid i won’t be able to watch it, so if anyone is able to hit the record button…

edit: looked up the schedule, and added UK times

I’ve got it J - I’ll pop it on the DVD to you.

Cheers Arnie

Dave Ballester- that’s a beauty !!
Nice looking woods though. I have a couple of “Dave Ballester” sets of irons- a Sounder set and a Dunlop set- very sweet looking

AA,

I think what isn’t quite as it should be is the following proclamation:

“Be confident that you are going to be purchasing from a golf retailer with over 30 years experience in the golf industry”.

I would think Seve would be pretty well known by someone with 30 years experience in the golf biz! :wink:

Robbo

cgi.ebay.com/Ben-Hogan-Round-Sol … 3665QQcmdZ

nice looking sticks. decent price. reg shafts though

same again below - nice looking old stciks- cheap rice for now and worth watching- shafts may need switching

cgi.ebay.com/BEN-HOGAN-APEX-IRON … 5525QQcmdZ

cgi.ebay.com/MacGregor-MT-M85-Co … 4587QQcmdZ

cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie … K:MEWAX:IT
Reportedly Brand new 1958 Macgregor M85 Colokrom. I went upto $300 on my offer with no success. Anyone willing to unload the big buck. Buyer Beware: I recently bought a half set of 50s Wison in brand new cond. I dont find any evidence but some one at my local course cautioned me they can make them in China. Do you think that is a possibility.

Hi Macs,

I am pretty sure these are the 80’s reissue rather than the 50’s version. It says tour forged in the header of the advert on ebay and if it says that on the hosel as well it definitely not a 50’s club as I understand it. Still very nice though but probably plays a little differently than the 50’s version in terms of weight/swingeight. I picked up a full 80’s set myself a few weeks back though I havn’t received it here yet in the UK. A couple of clubs had suffered some cosmetic damage to the copper faces (black lines - possibly fire or heat damage) that would have put serious collectors off - I think I only paid $75 because of that. But apart from a couple of clubs they looked unhit. Some pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39905124@N08/sets/72157622631373282/

These look more like the 50’s version to me (and check out the bag!) but I am not an authority on clubs:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360193061966&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If I was in the States I think I would probably consider these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260492411280&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

They are pretty cheap and the grips look great and even though you are missing the 7/8 iron you can pick up single irons over time. See this 8 iron here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MACGREGOR-TOURNEY-SINGLE-8-IRON-GOLF-CLUB-REC-M85_W0QQitemZ360197473554QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGolf_Clubs?hash=item53dd714512

Good luck,

Arnie

Hey Arnie
whats the minimum number of iron sets an ABS student is supposed to have. I have 4 plus one on its way including two sets of cavity backs (which I need to get rid of). You must have a ton of them. Also I was looking at the newer Macgregor MT Pro Ms. They seem to be pretty close to the older MTs in weight distribution. thoughts?
macgregorpromirons3.jpg

Macs, very good question which I have pondered on long and hard. I believe that the answer lies in an individual differential equation involving the following inputs:

A = the number of days till next monthly pay cheque received
B = degree of marital harmony measured in units of chocolates / flowers purchased for partner within the last 7 days
C = cupboard space
D = ratio of so called “mans” jobs completed vs ratio of so called “mans” jobs committed to within the last 120 days
E = days till Xmas (weighting of x2 for each child under 18)
F = time spent on ebay

If I have this right the answer should be 17… :laughing:

Good question. I really don’t know is the honest answer. The truth is that I have found plenty of older clubs that feel lightish (its not just a modern phenomena) but very few modern blades that feel heavy “off the shelf”, though I guess you can set things up the way you want to. I’d be surprised if any modern blade came close to Lags Dyna 59s in weight but I could be wrong.

Cheers, Arnie

This look like a good set of PC’s - 1 iron through wedge

cgi.ebay.com/Ben-Hogan-Apex-PC-F … 2997QQcmdZ

Old Bounce sole also

cgi.ebay.com/Ben-Hogan-Bounce-So … 7813QQcmdZ

Very nice Two - might well have a dabble on the PCs - thanks!

PC’s are certainly worth a look Arnie

Here is another really great club. I used one of these many moons ago. The feel was awesome even though the head is small by today’s standards.
I wouldn’t pay $50 for it- but it brought back some memories and if anyone finds a full entire set of these irons- jump on them

cgi.ebay.com/1-IRON-SLAZENGER-SS … 3116QQcmdZ

only US shipping Arnie; I am out.

Yes the last photo reminds me of the head shape (not surprisingly) of the Slazenger Seve blades, a little of the Cobra Normans and possibly even a touch of the Wilson FG-17. Or I might just have been staring at to many pictures of old golf clubs :open_mouth:

I tend to use a friend in the US to order and hold clubs and then send them over in batches to the UK to cut down on postage costs. As he is another persimmon and blades nut he gets the benefit of hitting everything first! Where are you based Macs (Canada from memory?), perhaps someone on ABS could help you out?

That Slazenger set I mentioned (1 iron above) were also under the model name Slazenger "Power Zone’

Any idea if stainless iron heads can be bent easily?

I’ve “heard” they don’t, but I’m not certain of the reliability of the source of the info. I’ve also heard that most of the older Pings (that are stainless) don’t move easily. I think their newer models have an undercut near the hosel to help with adjustments.