Worldly Words of Wisdom

I’m always coming across thoughts or quotes from reading, or wherever it might be, that have something to offer the golfer’s brain or soul, but aren’t actually from golfers. I figured I’d start a thread in their honour…

I’ll kick it off with a quote from an architect I like and have done a little reading about, he’s an interesting character.

When one knows what to do, there is only little time one needs for doing it. It is only when one does not Know what to do that it takes so much time. And to know what to do is the secret of it all."

-Louis Kahn, Architect(not golf course)

-Wan Yang Ming

~Henry Ford

“You will see it once you understand it” (“Je gaat het pas zien als je het doorhebt”)

Johan Cruijff

a couple of other Cruijff classics:

“Every disadvantage has it’s advatage” (Elk nadeel heb z’n voordeel)
“Before I make a mistake, I don’t make that mistake” (Voordat ik een fout maak, maak ik die fout niet)
“If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better” (Als ik zou willen dat je het begreep, legde ik het wel beter uit)

“[size=150]Don’t run away from yourself…Wherever you go…there you are[/size]”

and

“[size=150]Let your attitude determine your golf game. Don’t let your golf game determine your attitude[/size]”

Davis Love Snr

“Life is like arriving late for a movie, having to figure out what was going on without bothering everybody with a lot of questions, and then being unexpectedly called away before you find out how it ends”

Joseph Campbell

or

“Your sacred space is where you can find yourself again and again.”

JC

Is the lagbag a sacred space or what?

Flop

One Mo—

We’re so engaged in doing things to achieve purposes of outer value that we forget that the inner value, the rapture that is associated with being alive, is what it’s all about.

-Joseph Campbell

Goes along with a bad day on the course beats…

Flop

“I feel like a rock star. Without a doubt it’s the passion, I’m passionate about everything, when I make a cup of tea, it’s the best cup of tea ever. Everything has to be the nuts. It’s hard, but it’s fun at the same time. I’m always on stage, even when I’m off stage. Regret nothing! It was all meant to be”

Liam Gallagher- part time Oasis front man, full time lunatic…

One stormy night long ago a black sedan traveling very slowly up 17 Mile Drive in Monterey is pulled over by an officer of the law during the week of the Clambake. Driving the vehicle, sitting on a stack of cloth napkins is one 12 year old Nathaniel Crosby. In the backseat is his uncle, martini in hand and two individuals, also in tuxedos who will remain nameless. The officer asks Mr Crosby Sr to explain the situation. ‘Sir, he’s the best we’ve got.’ The officer agrees and sends the sedan on its way.

Men Of Genius Achieve The Most While They Work The Least

• Leonardo Da Vinci

I am not more gifted than the average human being. If you know anything about history, you would know that is so–what hard times I had in studying and the fact that I do not have a memory like some other people do… I am just more curious than the average person and I will not give up on a problem until I have found the proper solution. This is one of my greatest satisfactions in life–solving problems–and the harder they are, the more satisfaction do I get out of them. Maybe you could consider me a bit more patient in continuing with my problem than is the average human being. Now, if you understand what I have just told you, you see that it is not a matter of being more gifted but a matter of being more curious and maybe more patient until you solve a problem.

• The Einstein…

I was reading an article in the Irish TImes about a local musician where he was talking about the creative process and how he writes his music. When he said these lines they really struck a chord with me as it pertains to golf and playing freely when you’re on the course…

When I finish writing a tune, I wonder ‘well, how did I do it?’. It’s like the person who asked the centipede to identify what leg he prefers to lead with when he walks, and he never walked again! There’s a certain element of trust, and allowing your mind to go where you hope it might go.

– Máirtín O’Connor

“Faint heart never won a fair lady”
Miguel de Cervantes

Steve Jobs…
I don’t know if he even PLAYS golf. But this 1985 Playboy interview was on the web today, and a quote he gave also applies to golf, IMO.

( from a Hindu saying)… “The first 30 years of your life, you make your habits. The last 30 years of your life, your habits make you .”

Isn’t that what we are trying to do? Acquire and fine tune better mechanics, drill them into habits…and then use these habits to play and enjoy golf?

Here’s the link: tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/11/20/ … ahoo_quote

eagle,

Thank you for finding this interview. It is really a fascinating read. One downside is I have to explain to the wife why I am looking at Playboy online. I just told her “it was for the articles.”

“Rhythm’s the thing. Look for the rhythm in the music of your swing. It’s there - or should be.”
~ ‘Chick’ Evans

“We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”

Aristotle

[size=150]“The tournament professional survives by confidence and so must never allow thoughts of his own fallibility to penetrate his consciousness from any source…he has to believe in his prowess because that faith in himself is his greatest asset” [/size]

ARNOLD PALMER

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

-Voltaire

“Inspiration alone isn’t enough to create unforgettable art. It requires a great quantity of fight and tenacity.”

-Alfredo Di Stefano … he’s the president of Real Madrid and an old great of the club. This quote is him talking about building a football team.