Thoughts From 5 Time Canadian Tour Winner Paul Devenport

Bad idea to start flattening my clubs without doing abs modules? Can’t swing the fees, but can’t put my phone down. Been reading, watching, and listening to everything ABS. Wish I found it 10 years ago… I figure flatter clubs would start talking to me and help me understand the difference. I play srixon z785s that are all 2 degrees flat now. Kind of just want to crank them down to 6 degrees and see what happens!

Have to say. It is pure gold to listen to old tour pros chat it up. Pretty legit for us to all get a glimpse of their own processes. All the thanks in the world to lag for creating this world

3 Likes

Flattening will definitely help. It’ll help you come into the ball from the 4:30 line, and help you pivot release through the shot. It’ll basically help with everything ABS related.
I went from standard to 4 degrees flat before starting the modules. I was lucky enough to have an old set of blades that I didn’t mind experimenting with.
I’m 6ft tall and played standard lie for over 40 years until now. I couldn’t bring myself to go 6 flat right away, 4 degrees seems right for me at this point.

1 Like

Coming from someone of your caliber… I guess I shouldn’t be so reckless! I think 2 flat to 4 flat seems reasonable.

1 Like

Getting better :grinning:

1 Like

I played a local 2 day tournament this past weekend. It was held on a little country course, burnt out fairways, tree lined, small upside down saucer greens, tricky test.
I finished 7th overall. Ball striking has really improved of late, I hit the ball really well off the tee, and hit a lot of accurate irons. Putting was very average, I’ll put that down to not playing or practicing much. Thrilled to see the drill work coming to fruition with my ball striking however, golf is fun again :grinning:

3 Likes

Have you checked out Lag’s putting module, or chip rolling as he calls it?

Not yet, but it’s on the list :+1:t2:

1 Like

I got it not too long ago and love it. I haven’t changed or bent my b60 ping but just Aoki’ing it with toe up to flatten lie angle. It didn’t take that much to get used to. It’s money for me on short putts. I see the line better and make ‘em. It feels more like a pop or hit. I thought speed control would be hard to adjust to but great.

My setup at the door😀

2 Likes

Looks good!
It’s really important to have that visual…

Thanks John. It’s funny I don’t practice much since I’m going for left hip replacement in November. But I did putt once this week and did the 3 foot circle on a sloped green. Could never get 30 in a row with putts where u play outside hole. Method is solid.
I played match play since haven’t been playing much golf. First round was 9 holes. Long story short match even with two to go. Par 3 160. I hit it at my mark used slope to 10 feet and opponent went long left into the red zone. I never feared left. I was thinking ABS afterwards :grinning:. Still had to 2 putt after blasting by putt 3 feet.
Afterwards he said ur putting was clutch. The aoki style I’m using is money inside 10 feet. Haven’t drained a ton of long ones yet but I’ll take it. One miss left and essentially 7 pars. My handicap early this year went from 6 to 12 now at 8 with very very limited play. Will get back to work after surgery.

Thanks for the update…

Sounds like things are moving along nicely…

1 Like

Managed to get a round in yesterday with some mates. I hit 12 of 14 fairways and 15 greens in reg. Came close to a 1, hit 5 iron to a foot. Really happy with my ball striking, getting much more consistent, a lot more flag hunters every time I play.
My only swing thought (I like to have a swing thought when I play) was to feel more speed after I hit the ball, ie hold shaft flex.
Happy drilling, be patient :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Bucket of balls while my daughter was at basketball practice…gotta sneak it in when you can :rofl:
This is why we drill :grinning:

IMG_6338
Screen Shot 2023-10-08 at 4.42.49 PM
IMG_6335
Screen Shot 2023-10-08 at 4.43.52 PM
Screen Shot 2023-10-08 at 4.45.10 PM

Ten things I’ve learned so far during my ABS journey that work for me:

1. Opening the club on the backswing is more important than I first realized.
  2. A flatter backswing helps the rest of the swing fall into place.
  3. 1 & 2 done together create better rotation and sequencing.
  4. Ground forces and footwork are key maintaining shaft flex.
  5. The feeling of keeping the clubhead low post impact, while pivoting hard left, has helped keep the club stable and produced the best strikes for me.
  6. Hinging my wrist more on my backswing has increased power and distance.
  7. Simply thinking about holding shaft flex through impact has helped my ball striking on the course.
  8. Applying ABS pressures has improved the strike of my pitching, chipping a lot.
  9. To make a small change to my swing, I must feel like I’m changing it a mile in practice.
  10. After initially changing my lies to 4 degrees flat (and wondering how the hell am I going to hit the ball like that), I feel I can now go 1 or 2 degrees flatter so I can be even more aggressive with my pivot and further improve my ball striking.
4 Likes

Thanks Paul for the feedback,

I have to say this is one of the best posts I have ever seen on this forum, because it really hits home on the main points of everything we are trying to achieve within the golf swing here at ABS.

I’ll put these points on a youtube video soon… very clear and imperative stuff…

2 Likes

Cheers mate, been meaning to write down my thoughts more often.
I’d just got back from the range and had it on my mind.
Everyone is different, but those are the things that have been the biggest discoveries and help for me so far.

1 Like

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE :santa: :golf: :christmas_tree:

1 Like

Something I discovered today. After my first round of the year yesterday, and a few stall out flippy pulls, I was able to get to the range after work to hit a quick bucket.
I can get in a good rhythm on the range, but it doesn’t always stick around out on the course. My bad swing is a pivot stall flip or pivot stall block…basically a pivot stall. To my own defence, I have arthritis in my right hip which can send a lovely shot of pain from time to time just prior to impact. Not ideal, lol.
At the range today I decided to move the ball back in my stance from under my left armpit to my center, under my sternum. I wanted to reduce my lateral movement a little to help relieve the pain in my right
The result was I felt it was easier to turn behind the ball on the backswing, and turn flatter. It forced me to transition slower…if I didn’t I would get way ahead of the ball and steep. And it helped me stay behind the ball so I could pivot better through the shot and maintain shaft pressure longer.
Plus my hip never hurt :slight_smile:
Happy drilling :golf:

As you move the ball back, you can then come more from the inside and play a bit of a block push… think Trevino. It’s another way to take pressure or strain off your back.

Just aim left, play the ball back, and push your shot right toward the new rotated target line.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what happened. Definitely not to the extent of Trevino, but I was pushing it about 15 ft with my 6 iron, ball flew dead straight.
I loved the way I had to wait for it to slot from the top. From there I could just rip it as hard as I wanted.