Swing Postings

Here is John exhibiting the no recock of left wrist form, but with more level rotation.

youtube.com/watch?v=giyM3su … hV6j4xe9_g

This isn’t a copy Hogan thing, but a maintain pressure on the shaft thing…Hogan just did it the best. Doing it with a driver just takes incredible strength and control of the process.

For comparison:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18L-6uVMz3Y[/youtube]

The general execution is similar, but John’s leg work is much better and his left arm is more relaxed which evidences to me his emphasis is more in the armpits, hands and club than arms. For me when i allow the left elbow to bend I tend to give up the pressure on the club and my left wrist recocks.

One of my first teachers wanted me always to go from level wrist condition´s at impact
to uncocked and then over uncocking!
It would be the only way to have control of clubface closing rate in his mind. He told me this
10 years ago! Meanwhile I would say there is something about this, but it is advanced
stuff.

In my case there is little to resist because after impact I go still into uncocking…
Interestingly this was as well Jack Nicklaus thought, that after impact you would have the longest distance
from your left shoulder to the club-face and not at impact.

My view is that most players are at impact fully uncocked (handle raising) and there is nothing
left to stabilize and pressure the shaft.

I love to practice this stuff:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7qVQTwvZoM[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD4fKBpuFhE[/youtube]

With my Frying pan:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtkyeBTPQvE[/youtube]

My thoughts are a little different, but they go in the same direction.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlQ6kedX8vU[/youtube]

Chris

Lagpressure ( LP ) has new meaning-
lp3.jpg

Liquid Propane!

Chris,

Very impressive. I do think it is very advanced stuff. I don’t know if John gets into this in later modules, but I do think it is something the two best ballstrikers aspired to do:

Hogan High Finish.jpg

Moe Finish.jpg

I know I could never have sniffed this without ABS. You just can’t do it without a keen understanding of how to use the ground and body to create pressures. You have to have something to resist against to resist the recock and maintain pressure. :wink:

Paul I did get a chuckle that all Alec could say was well Hogan was hitting a 3W and I am hitting a 6 iron…and then a subsequent jab re chasing aesthetics…in my book he was paying me a compliment. :laughing:

I like what Diz mentioned about working up and off the bag. It is like Two using the heel to move the tee marker in that video he did, only much more resistance with a bag intention, requiring much more pressure and body cohesiveness. Very subtle, but powerful intention there.

Up and off…not just idle words. :slight_smile:

Yeah, GD, true dat. And who’s swinging a 6-iron 123 mph? Lately, Coach Lombardi’s voice is ringing in my ears. And btw, this outburst was perhaps the greatest coaching lesson delivered by any coach, anywhere, anytime. :laughing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbNidYYGjic[/youtube]

Got on my PC and did a slomo of caddyview and dlt (a different swing that was true dtl), including driver. Chris I was trying my best to avoid recock in left wrist on the driver too, but couldn’t do it. It is impressive that you can. This is a training endeavor for me. I think with better use of the ground and more emphasis on the right shoulder through delivery I can get closer. Turning into the left arm, however, is a keeper. I just need to turn harder into the left arm. :laughing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkdXUPpGOVc[/youtube]

Someone PMed me about pronating the left arm through and finishing with the left hand facing at the target. That is certainly one way to hit a fade, but that is not my intent here, and I don’t think it was what Hogan did for his stock shot. I think it was more of doing this…which is maintaing wristcock through impact and then releasing the wristcock into the finish…which, again is the opposite of what everyone else does…release the wristcock into impact and recock the left wrist after.

Grady,

In watching your swing it appears your right arm is straightening pretty soon past impact. Is this an intention of yours? Just curious because my thinking is we want to retain right elbow bend at least until P4. I have no clue how long I hold my right elbow bend, but I am pretty sure it straightens very quickly through impact as well.

Thanks.

Actually it looks like you’re doing both. The first couple swings with the iron in caddy, looks like you’re using the stop sign. The persimmon caddy views at end, it does look like you’re releasing the wristcock. Good stuff all around.

Les,

No not the right elbow! Darius sees that and says bad swing. Lol. First, sure I would like it tighter. But I am 6’4" and use irons that are six down. This means I have more side bend than most. This takes my arms further away from my core. Hogan stood erect. Now my right arm is bent well past impact, and the jacket makes it look straighter than it is. I would like more level shoulders here, which would send my arms further left, but at the end of the day it is all about the club head and the path. They are just fine here.

Paul,

Yes as I said I was trying to do it with the driver, but was not strong enough, and believe me doing this does take some hand and forearm strength. That is why I complimented Chris. This is an advanced move, and Hogan doing it with much greater speed is truly amazing. I think this is a great intention…if only as a training swing.

Ok, yes, we are on the same page. To me, it feels like the left forearm and hand have been dipped in iron, like rebar, very heavy sensation. We need more pivot speed so we can heave that added weight up to finish. So the drill really is a way to supercharge the pivot. It would be like trying to move a broadsword up to finish. The flat side of the sword always facing the sky going up. And that’s what the shaft feels like, like it has been flattened.

What did you notice in trajectory and distance with the iron doing this?

One more thought on this. After impact, as the left elbow folds and re-attaches to the left side, this provides a leverage point so we can handle the weight. It would be like, at this point, moving a 10-foot long, one-foot wide, wood plank off your left hip, up to finish. That would be the feel. What aids all this? Left side torso crunch, spine going into extension, huge ground forces engaged through the feet, calves, quads, hamstrings and glutes. Full-on, all hands on deck! I have more image feels for this, but I’ll stop b/c it gets out of control.

Paul,

Yes, yes…that is brilliant and I agree completely. I hope everyone really noodles on that. I tell you the deeper I get into ABS the more I realize that everything we do preimpact is just setting the table. I am getting an internal chuckle reading Linda (Gerry’s) swing happens too fast mantra because I am feeling more and more time. I don’t feel any speed until after impact…I think that is because we only feel speed when our arms are moving and I don’t feel my arms anymore until I am near or at impact. Turning into my left arm is a very big deal…for me.

Oh regarding ballflight…more piercing. I think I mention on Thunderdome that my initial ballflight with this driver and these irons was high. That isn’t the case anymore. I am going to dig out my prior gamers soon and see what I do with those…may not get them ofc the ground! :laughing:

Grady,

First thanks for the reply about the right arm. I was just asking because I sense in my drills that I can’t get enough bend in the right arm. I’m pretty short - 5’6" and my clubs are 6* flat but I seem to stand pretty tall at address. I’m sure John will drill that out of me if it is a problem.

As to feeling speed in the arms - I have a similar feeling about my arms. When I do the mod 1 and 2 drills the only sensation I feel in my arms is 1) right arm is nailed to my side and 2) all I am doing is rotating the face with a quick snap of the forearms/wrist. Any force from the arms is just concentrating on keeping the left arm straight - and I really don’t even have any feeling around that part. But then having a straight left arm pinned to my chest has always been a trait of my swing.

One more point - it wasn’t till I saw you and Bradley talking about post impact shoulder position that I suspected my shoulder move a la Mod 3 was affecting my ball flight. I am keying on a feeling that John says he does in that when he starts his down swing he wants to feel the left side crunch right away. I have been using that feeling in my swing and as a result I have been getting a nice draw on the ball (when I do it correctly). Looking at Bradley’s gifs on his draw swing vs. his fade swing it seems his right shoulder comes over more level and across in the draw swing, much like I try to do when I crunch the left side. Could I be on to something here? (I know I’m jumping the gun on Mod 8)

Les,

As we work through all this, John will tell you we are constantly tightening the screws on either side of the ball. I have been trying to ingrain the move into the right leg in transition now for a few months. I have 40 plus years of being an early left side guy so it is slow progress. While I know have the transfer part ingrained I am still “early” with the squat, which you can see in these swings…I squat in the second part of the BS rather than in transition. I mention this because this focus slows down my swing as it relates to the other side of the ball. So I am late on the left side crunch (LSC), and honestly this is a piece of the puzzle that is difficult for me.

But the good news is that I am beginning to sense a way to blend it, and it ties into the turning into the left arm idea that I am so excited about. In the past I have had trouble with the LSC because the left arm went with it immediately, which tended to move me off the 4:30 line and pull it. With my arms completely passive now well into the DS I sense I can add the LSC as I am turning into the left arm without disturbing the 4:30 line, and this will be particularly so when my rotator cuff tear in my left shoulder fully heals. Right now I can’t do the superslot move, which is an aggressive CW forearm rotation in transition. When I am able to do this I should be able to both aggressively hit the 4:30 line AND aggressively LSC. The aggressive CW forearm rotation will take my left arm a bit further from my torso and keep the arm higher when I turn into it. This means I will have to be very aggressive with the LSC crunch to bring me down to the ball…my left arm will ride down my left lat as I LSC crunch and aggressively pivot and transfer my weight to my left foot. This will create a funnel effect from the torso down into the ground as I move through the ball with energy spiraling down. So while the sequence may be from the ground up, the energy may at least in part be coming from the top down…just another take on opposing forces. :wink:

Coming to ABS I too was early to my left side. Just prior to beginning my ABS drills, I was working on keeping my weight back on my right side with some success. My swing prior to now was to get the club inside and then get my weight left. The effect was I developed an OTT move that resulted in a wicked duck hook. I also didn’t have any pivot so I was casting and dumping the club into the ball - and we all know what happens if the timing is off FORE LEFT!

Now, with just a week into Mod 3, I am beginning to get some consistent shot shape. I still feel like I am guessing on how the shot will go, but my early results are promising. I should go to the range and take some video just so I can see what changes have occurred. Last time I taped was at the beginning of Mod 2 and I noticed how much quicker my acceleration into the ball had become. Then, once the strike was over and into my follow-through it was my old swing to the finish. Now I am interested to see the changes 6 weeks of Mod 2 and a little Mod 3 had made.

Thanks for your postings here and, as you say, in Thunderdome. It is encouraging to see others on the same journey and how far these principles can take us.

I like that thought of turning into the left arm. Though I never verbalized it that way, it’s what happens. Waldron’s observations really helped me think a bit differently about role of arms in the swing. The idea being that the arms never cross the mid-line of the body, they stay on the right side of the sagital plane until almost the finish. This sounds like what you’re describing…arms doing nothing, torso turns into the left arm, etc.

The other sensation of feeling that you have a lot of time to complete the swing, yes it only takes two seconds, but you feel it differently, he talks about this being part of the time-sense illusion. Those who flip and stall sense the swing is completed sooner, back there somewhere, and view the swing as a 2d affair. Those who feel time elongating, are releasing properly, on time, not too early or late, understand and visualize the swing in 3d. Swing as spiral, clubhead square to the bending arc for a long time, arms pinned by a fast rotating pivot, not thrust dtl in a heave-ho manner, everything stalling, crashing and burning.

The notion of turning into the left arm reminded me of an image I posted long ago…one that RR really liked:

Bellows.jpg

I am reimagining the bellows as a metaphor for the arms…instead of the clubhead…the arms are simply not used at all and compressed against our torso as we pivot until they are pushed out by the force of the pivot and an active orbit pull.

This is a good way to show the progress made since finding this site through SITD one year ago.

imgur.com/a/4GOTr

The first pictures are from one of the first vids I posted online of my swing, and the last pictures are from the most recent.

My first swing was a straight up flip hands through impact and I played a high draw on all shots. My shoulders were square at impact, very little use of my lower body on a shot with a high release with no connection with my right elbow and body.

My new swing has more connection of the right elbow and the body, my shoulders and hips are more open at impact, and there is more use of hip extension through the shot. My shot shape is a lower, more penetrating flight that flies straight and falls off to the right.