Swing Postings

Les, you’ve helped me stumble onto something big. I took some swings outside my house, in the dark, creating that feel at the top and into p3 of a flat right wrist and it feels crazy good.

I will update with pics tomorrow.

Thanks Lag. I don’t want to come across as criticizing the drill. I have Bradley’s guidance and approval, “One of the best Drill 1 workings from a new student I have received.” - maybe he says that to everyone :wink:

With the added reps of drill 2 I just think I might have overdone it. But I’m also working on a more gradual acceleration, which has slowed down my strike. Hopefully with the stretching and softer impact I’ll be good to go.

Some more updates after changes. I’m really packing my hands into my side now. I am finally starting to really feel my release happening very late and to the left. It’s a different feel, very much like I’m slinging the golf club to left field, packed tight around my body. The tighter I pack my hands, the later in the swing I feel like I reach peak acceleration. Also I noticed this idea of squeezing the ground like trying to bring my thighs together. I’ve seen it around the forums and I just started training it. It seems to make it easier to swing left and adds speed. I can see that it makes my trail foot drag forward through the swing.

I messed around with cupping my left wrist more at the top and holding that cup longer into my downswing but it only led to bad shots. I don’t want to force it anymore, I don’t think I need any more openness in my swing anyway. If you look at my pic in the driver front swing right before impact you can see that my clubface and wrist are still wide open facing the camera. Even though it doesn’t look open or cupped enough in the top of my swing, coming into impact I’m right where I’m supposed to be. I won’t mess with that feel anymore.

Driver front pics - imgur.com/a/98U5M

the vapor trail of holding the right arm bent really is present when you pack your elbows and arms into your torso and left through impact.

driver front video - youtube.com/watch?v=ZThDohn- … e=youtu.be

8 iron DTL pics - imgur.com/a/AsRUS

I think my hands can be a little less cupped and my clubface a little less open at the top than “ideal” because of how aggressively I layoff the club and move my hands down (vertical drop). This lays off my club into a good position coming into impact.

8 IRON dtl swing slow mo - youtube.com/watch?v=SQBVr_4N … e=youtu.be

In looking at your swing, especially with the driver, I am seeing over rotation of the club past impact. This again gets back to why it is desirable to have a good cup in the left wrist and an open club face down to P3. This open face helps limit the range of motion of the right forearm so that the club face doesn’t come into impact in a closed orientation. If you look at the good ball strikers from impact to P4 they are holding the club face in line with the target, resisting as much as possible the closing of the face due to CF. One key “vapor trail” of holding off this rotation is that at P4- P5v the club face never closes beyond vertical.

Allow me to present my counterargument.

imgur.com/a/pH4Ag - comparison to hogan

I used a swing from a couple days ago for the impact because it is closer to where hogan was. I think it looks that way because you’re making judgement calls about my rotation from a caddy view.

Also Les, I think we need to consider that I don’t have my clubs set up as flat as hogans. My body and clubface will look a little different than his to get to the same ball flight.

i.imgur.com/ta1MvqE.jpg

You need to get in the ABS program and develop the core, leg and arm strength to move through impact in a more connected way. You have made great progress, but you are still hitting at the ball rather than through the ball. The module work will teach you how to do it and build the strength needed to do it.

Good point on the hitting. I have noticed that my right hand comes off the club in my 8 iron DTL posts. I was wondering why.

I’ve been working on my release. The swing Diz posted up recently and Grady’s comments on my last postings really opened my eyes to the proper release.

I got some new irons.4-pw. 2 degrees flat. extra stiff kbs shaft. Heavy and counterbalanced so the grip is heavy too. Offset decreases as you go from short to long irons. They’re perfect :smiley:

4 iron tee shot - imgur.com/a/T8BGA

This is hole 27 of my home course guys.

4 iron DTL video - youtube.com/watch?v=5oJkHksA … e=youtu.be

regular speed - youtube.com/watch?v=5NpGvROZ … e=youtu.be

the flat, extra stiff shafts really force me to exaggerate the “orbit pull” of my left shoulder. I have to solely focus on pulling left as hard as I can or I will leave it right.

Very, very impressive Nick!

I don’t follow women’s golf, but Sung Woon Lee was posted on SITD. Pretty damn impressive…only thing I would like to see is her move off her right foot better through impact…but she slots it and hits it well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNfp2pab_Mk[/youtube]

Bradley posted some pics of Hogan that have always fascinated me. Indeed, I think they reveal at least one of Hogan’s secrets-no recock of the left wrist post impact. A lot of people, including Johnny Miller, suggest Hogan worked the clubhead open through impact after turning it down shortly after transition. While that may have been one of his shots, I don’t think it was his go to shot. Rather I think he took an open club into delivery, squared it into impact and then held it square to the arc through to the finish. Part of that is pivot post impact, but I sense there was something else and tgat is the way the hands and wrists respond to the pivot thrust. In my opinion Hogan never wanted the clubhead to pass his hands, and he releaswd his wrists from a cocked position through impact to a released post impact. I could go look up the technical terms (ulnar deviation I think) but I will leave it at that and hope you understand what I am saying. This is something I have experimented with over the years, but lacked the strength and awareness of the proper presdures to do it at speed. The feeling is having a paleof water and pouring the water out in front of up, but left and up the plane line.

This is a video of me working on this.

youtu.be/Xn3CiWx7Ngk

Looking good Grady. That finish position is solid. Sung Woon Lee does have really good move. When I watched her video on SITD my first thought was that is as close to a man-like swing as you will see in women’s golf… Yani has a strong move as well, but almost none of the women pros can swing it like that.

image.jpg

Maintaining pressure on the shaft well past impact. :smiley: RR talks
about turning into the left arm…and I am getting a sense of that now. You turn into the left arm, and only after do you use it.

Looking good Grady. Do you feel like an aggressive orbit pull really helps create that delayed recock of the left wrist through impact?

I’ve felt that the harder and longer I pull, the more I can keep that from happening. Instead of having my left shoulder quit, then hands flip through, If I continue to drive my left shoulder around and left, I feel closer to that hogan finish.

I understand what you mean about ulnar deviation. It feels like I’m throwing underhand, trying to point my right palm to the sky while pulling left hard with my shoulders through the shot. I finally figured out that’s what Diz meant by clockwise rotation of the right hand through impact.

Another way of wording the feel is that I try to have both my hands supinate through impact (like if you were to point both thumbs away from center). That causes a feel like my left hand is turning over through impact but my right hand is trying to stop it from doing that. This leads to ulnar deviation of my right hand, which releases the club but without rolling over through the shot.

Combined with flat lies, it creates a great feel through the ball.

As I said in my post I am turning into my left arm into impact. There is no pull or push in my arms to impact. It is like I am pivoting through my left arm. The arms thus are pinned to my pivot. Now when I thrust at and past impact using my right foot I create added momentum that I can feel in my hands. I allow that momentum to uncock my left wrist…having maintained wristcock through impact…and I use shoulder rotation to guide the arms up the plane line. In these swings I was a bit steep with the shoulders so my arms work a bit more out than I would prefer. Still if you look at the Hogan fade gif Brad posted and compare to the dtl swing I posted this afternoon on sitd I think you will see striking similarity. At the finish the club should point staight up and the arms should be very high with a fade swing. If the club breaks behind your head you have given up trying to pressure the shaft.

As far as the right hand working CW all the way through the DS I am not a proponent of that. I rotate that way in transition, but I am going CCW to impact. My feeling in the right hand is to push or hit with my right palm facing my target, while my left hand goes left.

Interesting and some info to chew over. To clarify, I only go for that CW feel through the shot until like p4. At least that’s how I experience it.

nf,
Nice video, but the title has a typo :slight_smile:
Sorry, but it’s like when someone has something stuck in their teeth… I think honesty is the best policy.
Also, this may just be me but that one looked a hair fat…
All together good looking action though. Keep up the hard work

My right hand feeling in the down swing and into impact is that I have the right wrist flat and almost palm up as long as I can. Then once I get to P3 it’s fire the right hand as hard as I dare rotating my hand so that my palm faces the target. At this point I’ve worked Mod 1 and 2 so much that I don’t really think about it except when I hit a push fade - then it’s “I need more mod 1 next swing”.