Super Slotting the Golf Club

Lag,

If you think I might help give you the feedback you’re looking for with Super Slotting, just let me know.

What is super slotting? It looks different, but how would you describe it?

I’ll take some DTL views next time I am out at Mare. But I will say it took me 6 months really to get it… to be able to get back to the ball with any kind of consistency. During the process I had some horrific striking, tops, shanks, skulls, you name it… but when I would connect…WOW! So I was thinking… I got to get this down. It’s a different sound hitting the ball. Even Barkow mentioned that to me a while back.

I still have some work to do… as I occasionally miss one right out of sheer laziness. You really have to work your ass off to take that big a load and return it all with a ton of forearm pressure and level pivot rotation. But this is FEEL… and in a BIG WAY! In the early stages I thought my body would just not do this… but once I figured out the missing piece if you will, then I kinda had to bump myself on the head and just have a laugh… is that all it was? Take conventional swing plane theory and toss it out the window for this stuff. Mod 6 guys already know what I am talking about.

To cure the right shot I just have to go at it harder, and if I need to hit a less than full shot… then it’s still go at it just as hard but from an abbreviated backswing. I hit a 7 iron in Sedona a couple weeks ago from what I thought was a standard full backswing and sent it over to the back fringe of the green on a par three. I stepped it off and it flew 170 yards which for me playing flat heavy stiff blades is quite remarkable. Since I don’t use yardages I am having to do some recalculating in my head before hit a shot… work in the new intuitive feels for the different lies I see out on a golf course such as hardpan, light rough, grass coming into me… away from me, across the ball… out of divots or with the ball setting down…
and how the ball is reacting in the wind and so forth. So definitely some distance control issues for a while… but my last three rounds have been much better and up at Northwood I was basically spot on all day just sighting everything. It gives me great confidence to be able to go out and play without a yardage book… trusting just my swing and intuition.

It’s nothing new… I might have a new way of teaching people how to do it… or describing it better. It’s really because of my inability to do it properly for a long time that led me to being able to do it properly now with much more clarity and insight about the inner workings of it. To some degree I came across it by accident from another experiment I was doing.

What is it?

Getting the shaft on your chi line from DTL so that you can viciously attack the golf ball with everything you have with no fear of the ball ever going left… and the interesting thing is that when you are going at it that hard trying to hook the ball, the feeling is that you can’t hit it right either. The Super Slot. It really is a super slot. I now believe it is a learnable technique, not just something accessible for a few genetically fortunate individuals.

Yeah, it’s all right there, I know it. Was just in the Vault looking at Sergio slo-mo and I think I saw something, but probably not. I took some practice swings in the garage with a seven-iron, slo mo and I did notice I seemed to be able to keep my right palm looking at the sky coming down if I started clearing my right side sooner but staying back on my right side. Getting in to that position might be the easier part of the move, it’s knowing how to get out of it and release those angles that is hard. I think the only thing one could do when practicing this full speed is to supercharge the pivot and keep it moving. Tomorrow on the range is gonna be ugly, but fun.

Tonight I’ll be buried deep in the Vault toggling videos and checking back here. All you module 6 guys, please PM me, it’s going to be a long night. :laughing:

I can hardly contain my excitement for this “super slotting” stuff. I am probably at least 6 months away from being able to start it, but man will it be cool to master it.

This is bigger than all of us! Bigger than the Manhattan Project! Bigger then when Peter Parker got his spidey powers!

Seriously, though, when Lag says he gained 20 yards on his drives and maybe that much on his irons and has to recalibrate distances AND says this is teachable and you don’t have to be a genetic mutant to get it, well by God, I’m sittin’ up straight, leaning forward and paying attention. Though I think it will be necessary to have as many modules and reps in as possible…

One thing for sure is that nobody is wasting their time doing the earlier module work. It’s the earlier stuff that sets up the platform for it to work later down the road if anyone is interested in exploring this stuff. It’s advanced stuff no doubt about it…

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.

How about a DTL view of frames 2 and 3. Just thought I would ask :laughing:

grip2.jpg
grip3.jpg

This is as far as my wrist will bend back… bones will not let them go farther!

grip.jpg

Hmmm…is the backswing setting this up?

Lag wrote…

Brings to mind this excerpt…

“I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”

The Road Less Travelled ( Robert Frost)

I think there’ll be a lot of interest.

Looks like Matt Kuchar

Hmmm…Super Slotting, eh? I’m quite certain I dated a few in college. Advanced stuff, very demanding and you really need to stay on top of your fluid intake. :wink:

Captain Chaos

@Lag - looks and sounds extremely interesting…as a student of later modules, would be keen to find out more if/when you want to let some of us try out. I would be embrassed to do a side by side of my action against @Lags in his original posting - I am certainly not ‘super-slotting’! Camera angles aside, photo 7 in @Lags very first post look physically impossible but its right in front of my eyes! One of my golfing buddies is an extremely long hitter (particularly with his irons) and to my eye, looks to obtain similar positions…I have always thought ‘damn you’ and assumed it was due to very flexible/supple wrists…interesting that you think this is not the case.

Also, @Range Rat - you asked for a DTL view of the backswing…do you have a hunch that this is important or is this just for your curiosity and hunt for cheese? I have seen @Lag (and also @Twomasters) frequently comment that the backswing is not that important…evidenced by the myriad of options that some of the ‘greats’ have shown.

Rgds, ZD

Well…not sure how Lag is defining super slotting. I suspect some elevation level and hand attitudes changes during the backmove may facilitate and make things easier if my assumption about the slotting move is correct. I see a difference between Lag on the deck displaying Mod 2 and the current pictures… and just curious if the club mass center and head mass center are handled any differently as seen from DTL.

I agree about the backmove in general however as both Lag and Two state…although I always have been captured by the phrase…“Begin as you mean to carry on.”

Guess will have to wait until Lag lets the secret out of the bag.

Regarding wrist cock… I KNOW this is not the case. If you look at my grip pictures… my wrists do not bend back all that far.
I’ll take some DTL views here soon.

Secret is that it took me about 6 months to really understand and get it so that I can strike the ball like this and it no longer is an elusive carrot that would appear and disappear like a Copperfield magic trick.

For me this had to be learned striking golf balls… because my brain simply would not let me do this… even though I had the physical capacity to do it… muscular strength and so forth. I had to nail down what was causing me to slip in and out of super slotting consciousness! :smiling_imp:

This was taken late in the day with an 8 iron from the 10th fairway at Mare. A bit dark but should show a few things here with a careful look.