Steel Spikes

I think it’s interesting that Harrington hasn’t been the same golfer since he signed with Footjoy after his third major. He had been wearing those Hi-Tech monstrosities with the massive sole area that spread outside the actual size of the shoe- they were like launch pads. He swore they added ten yards to his drives- I’m still not sure how those things were ever made legal to be honest. I’m sure there are lots of other reasons for his loss of form, but whatever the specific reason, it started when he switched shoes.

I just won a pair of used leather-soled FJ Classic Dry Premieres on ebay for $5 and shipping. They need a little work, but I’m going to put some steel spikes in and sneak out to try them one afternoon. I think if I like them I will make a transition to leather soled shoes only, even for rounds when I need soft spikes. It seems the spikes are arranged in a much more logical fashion.

Here’s a pair similar to what I won:

My current shoes are Adidas Powerband 3.0’s, which are comfortable, but only 8 spikes as opposed to 12:

On the topic of extra spikes, I found a handmade high end shoe company called Pescador located somewhere in Europe. Way to expensive for me, but check these out:

It will be interesting to get your feedback on the difference. The spike experience using “nails” will depend a lot upon how you swing the golf club.

My feeling is that one of the reasons we don’t often see the great foot and leg action in today’s younger players is the fact they have grown up playing without proper support into the ground.

I think over time, building a golf swing around steel spikes is going to affect the evolution of any golf swing and potentially in a very positive way if done correctly.

The other thing I was thinking about the old leather soled shoes, was the steel plate in the sole. The less give in that sole, the stronger the pressure you can apply out of the front of the right foot. I always remember how long it took to break in the earlier Classics, you had to earn those shoes, and you knew and accepted that it was going to hurt for a while. There seems to be some symbolism in that. I remember growing up, we all had Doc Martin boots, and they were the same. They’d cut the heels of you until you broke them in, but after a year or so, they were yours. And you’d have them for ever too. Comfort, in many ways, is an overrated state.

My classics arrived. They are about a half size big, so they will be strictly range shoes. I just need to track down some steel spikes now.

After Slipping all over the place in plastic spike golf shoes, i tried to hunt down a set of steel spike shoes to no avail.

It reminded me when I played cricket we used to use steel spikes. Theres not of cricket shoes out there still with steel spikes. They work great.
So if anyone has trouble finding golf steelies, then maybe try the cricket shoe route. Although in America I doubt there’s many cricket shops… Might be helpful for any Aussies or poms here

I knew you were a Goth.

And on the weekends, I’m a cowboy. I have these real old expensive cowboy boots that when I bought them were the hardest things to break in and it took a while to do so. Although they are still very hard to slip in and out of, once you’re in them, you’re in and they feel like slippers…so comfortable.

An observation on steel spikes. I have been wearing them at the range since I got them and that familiar click-clack is there for all to hear while walking on the concrete near the range mats. I think people have been desensitized a bit, or perhaps the younger people have never heard that sound before, but only one person has commented on “the sound”. He was about my age and as I walked by he stopped what he was doing and said- “wow, those are steel spikes…haven’t seen or heard those for awhile”

And they do make a difference which was brought to my attention again since wearing them. With my old plastic spider spikes one gets comfortable walking on tlle floors because they don’t slip. In fact, just the opposite. Those plastic puppys expand when pressurized downward giving good stability on tile floors. The other day walked into the restroom with the steel on and had to catch myself a little as I did slip just a fraction.

A good reminder that we are what we wear and will react accordingly. :sunglasses:

I prefer the term ‘Cure Head’, if you don’t mind.

Jrich,
Have you ever tried tapering in 3 insoles?

No, how would one go about doing that?

Well, it’s a shame to put insoles in Classics because that insole bed is as good as it gets, and one of my favourite parts about those shoes, but…
In a pinch to get them usable, get 3 insoles per shoe- just the basic Dr Scholls type ones. The problem with using 3 insoles to get shoes to fit is that they raise the heel bed too high and the shoe doesn’t fit at all. So I take 1 full insole, 1 cut 2/3’s from the toe end, and 1 cut 1/3 up from the toe end, and glue the 2 cut pieces onto the underside of the full one- basic rubber glue or even grip tape- the foot pressure keeps them in place pretty well so they don’t have to be too securely glued. It’s not perfect, but it fills up the front end of the shoe making it fit a bit more snugly, while still leaving the full height of the heel walls so that the shoe is secure. You can play around with different thicknesses of insoles, or even do it in quarters with 4 insoles- the goal always being to keep the heel end fairly neutral. With shoes that sweet it might be worth giving it a whirl. The added free bonus is that they may make you root into your heels a bit more at set up… totally legal… sort of. I seem to remember John Huston running into problems with shoes he was marketing back in the 90’s, though they were angled inward off the right shoe.
Anyway, it’s worked for me numerous times so I figured I’d throw it out there…

Lag…

your right on the money about being connected to the ground…that’s what my old pro always taught me…you have to be connected to the ground…I wear mine every chance i get…just wish more people thought along these lines…BTW…do you or anybody else know where you can get some…my supply is running thin…Thanks, Kenny

They mentioned on the Sony Open coverage about how Vijay Singh made the move back to tradition golf shoes and away form the “sneaker” type shoes. Vijay said he couldn’t believe how sloppy his footwork had become by wearing the sneaker type shoes because he couldn’t feel the ground with them.

Click me to buy new nails…

Another one of golf’s endless absurdities.

Steel spikes are legal by the ruling body, and have been a historic catalyst of the game, but you can’t wear at 99% of the golf courses around the world.

I think it’s absurd.

You can fix ball marks but not spike marks. So the guy playing ahead of you can drag his feet across the green, and you just have to put up with it.

Does it really make sense to ban the spikes? or would it make more sense to change the rule and re install the proper spikes for your footing?

So VJ gets to wear them? But we don’t?
But we can buy his frying pan driver all day long.

This isn’t good.

The world is mad

I played with the club captain today. A fine player, well into his 60’s, and has lived a very interesting life. We met on a golf trip late last year, but today was the first time we had played together. He is a 4 hcp and plays to it easy. He has been a captain at 4 clubs in Sydney Australia, including some group 1 clubs.

We discussed many things doing our round together, and of course, the golf swing was discussed at length. He seemed to like my swing, so he was happy to listen to my views. I mention that STEEL spikes would enable me to get even better," more ground forces, lets be the light, lets re-introduce this course to metal spikes, ect ect ect"

His reply…
The man in his 60’s, Captain of many clubs, lover of golf and its traditions…

“We have just put in new carpet in the foyer, metal spikes would destroy it”

The world is mad

I agree, I hear that same clubhouse nonsense all the time. Is it really that absurd to suggest no spikes in the clubhouse?
Most people take a cart these days. No reason why one can’t lace up and toss their street shoes in their cart, and change shoes before they go into the clubhouse. They used to always have a snack bar at the turn that faced the outside so players wouldn’t have to go inside with their spikes on. What happened to that concept? Why not carry a lightweight pair of night slippers in your bag. Even if you carried your bag you wouldn’t feel the weight of those… would be less than a sweater.

Playing golf without proper spikes is like going bowling with spikes on your shoes… or trying to run track in a a pair of loafers or sandals.

Proper footwear is critical in any sport.

Surely technology can solve the spikes in the clubhouse problem.

Seems to be a non-issue for track and field, ice-hockey, baseball, etc.

The priorities are all backasswards.

It just seems like a monkey see, monkey do mentality. These policies are put in place because that is what the other courses are doing. Someone says something, and rather than thinking it through, it’s easier to not think about it and just figure someone else must have thought about it.

I once heard the argument that the plastic spikes didn’t track one type of grass such as “Po” from one course to another. That had to be the most ridiculous statement regarding golf shoes I have ever heard. Steel spikes are a lot easier to clean off than all the grass that gets caught up in the multi prong plastic spikes. When I first heard that, all I could think was “Really?”