Steel Spikes

Nice link Robbo…thanks. :slight_smile:

Robbo–thanks, I suspect none of the big box golf stores here in the States would carry these–God forbid!. Is the link to a Europe-based site or U.S? Anyway, I’ll check it out. More I think about all this, I I could probably get away wearing these, no one would be the wiser (except for my much improved ballflight). I usually don’t go into the clubhouse before/after with golf shoes on anyway.

Paul,

According to the website they’re based out of Florida.

I’ve seen Long Drive guys wear these spikes as well.

Paul, I bought them off of ebay here is the link: cgi.ebay.com/18-Champ-STINGER-PR … 4aa88307ee

Paul, You can get away with them just stay away from cart paths or concrete.

I have a question. Why is it that steel spikes are so much superior? I understand that Sam Snead practiced with no shoes to feel how his feet worked and blended with the ground. I have heard that martial arts masters can ground themselves so that it takes many men to lift them. Why can’t we ground ourselves with no spikes at all?

Bob

You’re right rduhrin, I think it can be done. It just takes way more effort to ground yourself with cleats than with spikes. Effort that is best used hitting the ball.

I can hit a golf ball with bare feet… sure…
but I can strike it a lot better with more pressure with a nice set of spikes gripping the ground.

Timeless FootJoy Classics

FJ_leather.JPG

The garbage they make today… calling them FootJoy Classics also…
garbage…

FJ_plastic.JPG

Every time I lose footing on a drive on a tee that’s a bit bare in the grass department, I look down and see these plastic cleats all clogged up with grass and dirt. They’re an absolute bugger to clean with anything less than a water-pressure gun. A definite regression. Plus they’re ridiculously expensive to replace. Hard plastic ones snap, soft plastic ones wear quickly.

Remember the spiked shoes you could get that had built-in spikes, you couldn’t replace them? They lasted as long as the shoe. I can’t say I’ve seen the same with cleats.

Plus the noise–there are not many noises as nice as spikes walking on a hard surface.

One good thing about cleats though, you can wear them driving to the course and even call into the shops after with 'em still on.

Got my steel sweeties today.

Would make this post longer…but I’m going to go load them up and go outside, find a bare piece of partially frozen ground and jump and down in them like a kid jumping up and down in a mud puddle because they don’t know any better. It’s the simple things really! :laughing:

I jump up and down in my plastic cleats once I’ve taken my stance sometimes, trying to get the cleats to dig into the ground. I must look a right fool, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Ooh Baby…Ooh Bubba…Ooh Baby! Are these sounds from Ukrainian lips which are all to familiar to the Captain’s ears?

Or some of my thoughts this morning?

A little soft and muddy outdoors, but damn I felt like a younger rat again…what a riot sinking my feet back into steel. I could actually download and stay put without fear of losing torque…way cool. Great session. So much fun. :mrgreen:

Happy your day today Mr. Rooster :sunglasses:

Likewise, my man! I love the green font, btw- very cool…

Also, who’s Ren Rogan? :smiley:

:laughing: Can’t get anything by you Bom…guess I’m not as sneaky as I thought :laughing:

Nice one, my man… I do try to stay awake, or maybe it’s that I can’t go asleep… they could be one and the same :smiley:

I like Ren Rogan, though, it’s kind of like The Shining… Red Rum. There was a Grand National horse back in the day called Red Rum… he was an Irish horse as far as I can remember- he was before my time, but was always famous… I wonder were the names connected?

I´ve found these spikes quite a while ago (as they are easy to buy online) - i really was tempted to buy a set, but maybe i should talk with our greenkeeper first if he would okay this. Lets keep our fingers crossed!

I also assume they are much longer lasting than the plastic crap and so cheaper in the longer run?

Just read this… interesting.

During The Masters broadcast today Faldo mentioned how Tiger was one of the few left who still wear only metal spikes. I wasn’t aware the Pro’s were still allowed to use them if they want and why not all of them would still wear them if they could. Just another reason the Pro’s play a completely different game then us public, aren’t metal spikes banned at basically ALL public course? Are those of you who do wear them just evading the rules and hoping not to get caught?

ALL PGA EVENTS the players are allowed to use steel spikes…maybe a few more should have this week because there has seemed to be a lot of slipping going on.
saw Jason Day slip, Cabrera slipped…Furyk I believe…others too I am sure.
We all know Hogan had extra spike(s) in his right shoe…for good reason… another travesty in my opinion that they are banned at most country clubs… I see the logic but it should be personal preference because they truly are a foundation to a more solid golf swing.