Post your new ebay purchases

Hi all,

This is my 1st real post after a lot of lurking and reading here. I’ve stumbled my way into ABS and finally feel like I have a golf home. In the last 2 months I bought my 1st set of '73 Apex irons and then flattened them 53-58* (2-PW) and recently purchased a set of Lag’s Macgregor DX woods (boy are they head heavy!). I’m currently adjusting from cavity backs and my R9 frying pan to the 975D and blades (these small headed drivers are so tough to hit jeez :frowning: ). I’ve just got a set of M85T’s coming my way next week and I’m contemplating adding half an inch to them. Any feedback on pros and cons on doing this is welcomed!

Cheers,
Tin

i have the m85’s as well. no reason to really add length to them. I believe they are only 1/2 inch shorter than standard. I hit them just as far as my taylormade burner irons.

the only way i would get longer shafts is if i was going to put new shafts in.

Hey Tinman, I have a set of the m75’s, same heads - shafts are a bit softer, still work fine for me, really love the low profile and heavy feel of those, close to my fav. set…
I am on MOD1 getting ready for MOD2 entry. As far as lengthening the shafts, I went ahead and added a 1/2" on those m75’s…and another set of 67’ Mac- Gregors I have, since I was going to regrip anyways . I followed Lag’s method on getting some old shafts from junk clubs I picked up at thrift stores and cut the butt ends at a taper section the fits in snugs up to the end of the shaft and have at least an 1- 1/2" - 2’’ insertion. Clean the inside of the shaft out good and rough up with a grinder wheel or file, the added section, epoxy in and cut to length. For me adding that little bit closer to “modern length” feels right, maybe just psychological :slight_smile: Another thing to consider though, shorter = more accurate generally speaking!

good luck!
Dale

Thanks for the replies JPD & Dale. I’m going to change out the cord grips since I want to game these also. Will decide then which path to take. Cant wait to swing these puppies.

On a side note, I also have a Mitchell bending bar en route. Unfortunately, I don’t have a machine so will have to use my work bench + vise + protractor. Definitely not ideal but all part of getting to know my sticks more intimately. Hope to find some tips on how best to secure the heads with minimal marring.

Taking the vector #4 challenge. Just picked up a set of Apex II 2-E with vector 4 shafts for $65 usd…

Hey crr… those ApexII’s are what I play - you’ll love them. I got them in 1983 but lost my way and played the frying pans. Now Lag has gotten me back to my first loves :slight_smile:

Tinmann,

I have an old bending device that is essentially nothing more than a vice. I have found that if I wrap the clubhead in a synthetic towel before placing it in the vice I can prevent marring the clubhead. The synthetic is also good because it resists catching on fire, when I use the torch to heat up the hosel before bending.

The only issue for me was appropriately clamping the head down with hte vise…maybe you can share a pic on how you did this? :stuck_out_tongue:

MacGregor 985 set…2-10…Propel 1 shafts. This is a really clean set…the picture doesn’t do them justice. They look like they have been played for about half a season. There are no dings, no wear spots, no browning. There are some very faint marks on the face, but they’re really not visible unless you look for them.

I went to the range today and hit some balls. They get the ball high up in the air very quickly…probably too high on the short irons. They also feel really light. I was surprised by both of these traits, because I thought the Propel 1 shaft would be very stiff and heavy.

I’m debating putting some lead tape on them, but I think it would take so much that the shaft performance would be distorted. I also don’t want to deal with all the glue and tape marks if I ever take the tape off.

Anyway…just thought I’d contribute to the thread!
985.jpg

My new toy for the beach :smiley:

Macgregor CF4000 PT1. Tony Penna Wedge.
Propel Action 1 shaft

Added 12g of tungsten and couple of strips of lead tape. It comes in at 18.6 Ounces with swing weight E8
penna wedge 4.jpeg
penna wedge 3.jpeg
penna wedge 2.jpeg
penna wedge.jpg

Lady Haig Ultras for the wifey :stuck_out_tongue: 2-PW in great shape. Anyone have any idea what model years these are?
1st thing was to get these babies on to my bending machine to get them properly adjusted: lie to 53*-58*; loft to 19*-48*.
2nd to wash up the grips (they look good and still have tack to them). Going to take her out to the range for a session this weekend.

Her 1st response was: “Why are these so heavy?”
Me: “That’s music to my ears.” :smiling_imp:

Tinman ,
those are sweet ! Ironfinder has a consolidated listing of those being mfg. from 1961-76…
don’t know where they would fall… I saw a set just like those at a thrift store in Pomona,Ca. close to where I live
for $33.00, they were clean! My gal doesn’t play so didn’ snag them… I showed them to her and she said " those are pretty and shiny… "… :slight_smile: … oh well …some acknowledgement is better than the usual eye rolling I get when it comes to golf stuff ! :smiley:

enjoy!
Dale

Thanks Dale!
Had fun on the range with them. :sunglasses:

Haven’t posted my sets on here, this is my collection.
IMG_2668.JPG
IMG_2675.JPG
IMG_2674.JPG
IMG_2678.JPG
IMG_2672.JPG
IMG_2671.JPG
IMG_2666.JPG
IMG_2670.JPG
IMG_2669.JPG
IMG_2681.JPG

Have been collecting for a few years, all will be played.

Macgregor Tourney PTIII. 2 through 9 iron in great shape $125. Have not played, these and Hogan Princess are most recent.

Macgregor Flatbacks, $125. No bounce, thin soles, and very sharp. Like to use them for long iron practice.

Macgregor Jack Nicklaus Murifield 20th Anniversary Edition. 2 through Wedge little use, $125. My everyday set and favorite because Two did all set up. X shafts, 5 flat, weights from d4 to e0.

Hogan Redlines, little use with 5 shafts $100.

Hogan Bounce Soles, $60.

Hogan Princess, $60. These are the best condition vintage set I have. Don’t want to hit them they are that good. This style of iron is my favorite, love the flatback design.

The PCs are 6 to 7 flat, very heavy, and an inch short with X shafts. I do not play with them, use as a training set. They were given to me by a member. This is the set I come closest to how I want to swing, that being said this is the 2nd hardest set of clubs I have hit. First are Twos macgregor split soles set up the same.

Mizuno MP 11, $100. My favorite Mizuno made.
IMG_2673.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG

[b]Well, just 1 more purchase before Spring!! :laughing:

These unfortunately had been refinished reshafted and whipped… and are upright as hell…
56 deg.// driver has a tiny crack in the center insert… but for 50 + years old and $50.00 buck what
that heck…, since they arent’ virgin makes it that much easier to get busy modifying them! :smiley:

cheers!
Dale[/b]
velocit..JPG

Just bought a set of left handed 20th Anniversary Macgregors for $100.00. Looking forward to building them to ABS specs and hitting some nuggets. :smiley:
ebay.com/itm/JACK-NICKLAUS-2 … true&rt=nc

You will like them grux, congrats on getting those. The satin finish is great, lead tape blends in and becomes part of the club. Still get comments on them, only good comments came from an old school player before a match play we had that showed me how much I had to learn. Think he laid back on purpose every hole to put the pressure on me. I was -1 through 7 and 3 down :open_mouth:

I couldn´t resist to buy this Set of Toney Penna´s:

Toney penna woods1.jpg
Toney penna woods2.jpg
Toney penna woods3.jpg
Toney penna woods4.jpg
Toney penna woods6.jpg

After I bought them, I did a little research on them and they have quite a little history…

They were made for Charley Penna, Toney´s Brother and the TIP on the sole means SPECIAL ORDER.
Charley Penna´s Son confirmed this, because he could remember this Set, it has the black backing
behind the alu-insert´s and very view Penna´s have this feature. The best thing is they are not refurbished,
instead they are just like new.
I will measure them - it looks like they rebored as well the hosel…

Can´t wait to play them…Too Bad, I have to wait until I visit my Parents in Phoenix…

Chris

I couldn’t pass up a set of left handed '69 wilson staff dyna powers for $65.00. I am looking forward working on these beauties and taking them to the range. :smiley: