Post your new ebay purchases

I couldn’t help myself - they looked so shiny :smiley:

'69 MacGregor TR1A irons 2-SW. Only problem is they have aluminum shafts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MacGregor-1969-MT-Tourney-Irons-TR1A-2-9-TPA-11-TSA-Sand-Iron-Aluminum-/151269819088?nma=true&si=UhnQbvBABjhHdWZic1R3rnjjzCs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Unbelievable. 65$ for deal of the year. I would just mount them on the wall.

Congrats Les! i saw them but as you say, the shafts, along with the stupid import duty I would have to pay to get the to Thailand prevented me bidding. Worth the money even for just the nice heads I think! Enjoy!

Thanks guys. They do look like they have been hidden away in a vault.

I learned something today about the naming system for these clubs - it all has to do with shaft and grip. “TR” just means tourney. “1” means the shaft flex - i.e. “1”=stiff, and “A” means aluminum. No “A” would mean steel.

One thing I am worried about is what shaft would fit these. I have read somewhere that aluminum shafts were larger diameter than steel. I am hoping that someone can either confirm this, provide a work-around, or, better, allay my fears.

Sorry, I was sure I had read that about the Ali shaft size recently so that was another reason I did not bid. I am sure you will find some shafts to fit if it is true, just might be a little more difficult. Good luck whatever!

Interesting article on aluminum shafts. Back in '68 they were the hit because of lightness :open_mouth:

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/golfd/article/1968feb36.pdf

Looks like aluminum shafts are .390 diameter I believe. I have two options it appears for reshafting. I can either use a shim or tip a tapered shaft up to the .390 diameter point. This may be a job for Lag.

I remember aluminum shafts showing up all of a sudden at the club I learned to play at. They became all the rage but I remember them disappearing soon afterward.

Just got the Tourneys over the weekend. Except for the 11 and SW, they look virtually unhit. A very nice looking club. I put them on the scale and they are not as light as I expected, about the same as my Hogan Apexes. The only issue I see is that the weights are not evenly spread in a nice progression. A few of them are bunched close together, then some large gaps.

Still haven’t decided if I’m just going to send them to Lag to be ABS’d or try reshafting them myself.

Les,

Have you hit the aluminum shafts? The ones you have are “1” as I recall you saying, which is x-stiff by today’s standards. Just curious. I think I hit some when a teenager working in the bagroom, but I don’t remember what they felt like.

Not yet. They are 1A shafts so they should be pretty stiff. Tuesday I am planning on playing 9 so maybe I’ll put the 7 iron in the bag and hit a few shots with it.

Maybe just bend 'em flat and keep 'em as a second set so you have a selection to pick one from to fit the day’s feeling like Lag does?

I am thinking about that. I do have to fix the weights though, if just to make it a little more even and progressive through the set. I am looking for a nice set of gamers and I would like these to be set up as ideally as I could. I already have a set of Hogan’s with similar weights so my preference is to make these heavy, flat, and extra stiff.

I gave the 8 iron a couple of hits. The club feels really solid and stiff, but a bit light. I haven’t had them bent so the club feels very upright. Both shots I hit made big hooks left.

I’ll see what I want to do with them. They look so sweet I would hate to molest them.

Just paid $15 for a tommy armour 945w eye o matic 2wood. This was the one club missing from my set. Very happy

@lagpressure hi John, please could you tell me if these are the ‘62 Haig Ultras?

1 Like

Perhaps Lag or someone else can confirm. In this 62 Haig Ultra ad, it looks like a little star on the back of the club.

1 Like

Those are stunning. NOS or Refinished? If Refinished would be curious if you did the work yourself. I have a set of what I think are the 67s, but I’ve struggled to confirm. They’re similar but some small differences.

1 Like

The pics I posted are of a set of heads for sale on eBay, not my own work sadly but someone else has done a great job with them. Im just trying to work out what the ‘62’s that John spoke highly of look like.

1 Like

Lovely set there! Love the bag too

1 Like