Post impact intent

Hi guys

I’ve been working on the first 3 drills for while now and I have a question regarding post impact “intent”. When I’m inside 100m I find that my strikes are at their best when I try and pull both hands into my left pocket post impact.

2 questions, 1. Is this “intent” correct? And 2. If yes, should this always be the intent, regardless of club?

Cox
It shouldnt really be an intent as the combination of the first 3 modules will allow this to come closer visually thru the pressures of application. The intent of doing such a thing needs to be met with a hint of caution because trying to pull the hands around to the pocket can pull the shoulders or create shaft lean or spine lean and shoot the clubface to the left or leave the clubface open at impact.
Yes this ‘look’ should be present in all clubs as done correctly it pins the shaft to the turn of the body however it is a tougher proposition with the longer clubs- as the farther the ball is away from us due to the longer shaft the more centrifugal force wants to pull the arms out of their sockets and away from our chi region.
Hence this why we do the modules to build strength and visuals and utilize the muscles and motion that is going to make our task easier.

Remember you have two pockets. :sunglasses:
Think right hip pocket… THEN left hip pocket.
This will help insure that the pivot is doing the work and not just the arms coming down steep from an upright downswing.

thanks Bradley,

your comments made we worry as i felt i had had a lighbulb moment during my short game practice on Sunday. i thought “how could something that feels so nice and provides me a beautiful result be wrong”. so last night i stood infront of the mirror so that i can comapre what i thought i was feeling to what i was seeing. As it turns out (no pun intended), my hands were no where near my pocket and what i percieved as a pull to the left was actually the outcome of the post impact pivot. my body turned to the left and due to me keeping my arms connected to my torso, my arms/hands followed.

please tell me that this seems like im on the right track as i cant aford to have you show me this again…hahaha

Hi Cox, I know what you are feeling here… and imo as long as it is driven by the pivot it’s spot on. If it’s an arm and hand pull independent of the pivot/shoulders, that’s where the danger is (I went down that path for a short while).

This same feel is turning up in my swing more and more often as I train my hands to get lower at p3 with a more level torso and shoulder rotation. When I get it going, a lot of light-bulbs turn on and the phrases “cut it left”, “club-face looking at the target longer” and “eliminate the left side” all make perfect sense to me! … until I lose it again haha :slight_smile:

I’ve found the key for me is the connection/synchronisation of the arms and torso, gentle transition, and an aggressive mod2 and mod3. You need a lot of strength to do this with the longer clubs!

In short, I reckon you’re onto something…

2 Likes

Great pic. Almost like one has the feeling the ball is stuck to the clubface at Impact. And only way to add speed would be opening up with a low left shoulder/ and left side. Having the pivot take over after the strike. One would never hit the ball anywhere starting the swing at impact to the follow thru letting the face of the club flip closed. Having a stable clubface would be the only way to advance the ball thinking drill 5 intentions

Most all the white coat lab scientist folks say it’s impossible to do this… but then they concede that it’s “only on short shots and not full swings” So at what point is it not possible? Half way back? 3/4? 5/8th? Maybe we shouldn’t take full swings? Or… maybe it CAN be done in a full swing with the correct technique. What happens is that the CF or longitudinal acceleration (lengthwise down the shaft) starts to stretch the shaft straight as velocity increases…which starts to mask the backwards flexation of the clubshaft to the visual eye. However, it’s doesn’t mean that the stress on the shaft isn’t there. The combination of downward and tangential forces created by acceleration is what stabilizes the shaft and prepares it for impact. The inline swinger’s throw release is a totally different protocol with different impact dynamics.

This is where the scientific community needs to get caught up, because they keep basing their “Findings and Claims” on swingers releases.

3 Likes

At ABS we often get the ones who don’t comprehend the post impact intention/ but even Tiger Woods understands it’s importance- Mod 3 is key!!!

3 Likes

This is a major stumbling block for many golfers who believe that what happens after impact cannot possibly matter. But as Tiger here is saying… acceleration is the key. So to accelerate, you have to continue to increase the velocity.

I believe the best way to do this is to realize that the golf swing is a motion in and of itself whether or not a ball is present. A “practice” swing can be a complete swing with full intentions even if a ball is not there or present. If we work on the swing as an entire motion from start to finish, then we would be best to design it so that the club is accelerating through and beyond the lowpoint… even without a ball. Then when we put a ball in the way, that ball just becomes incidental to the movement of the golf club by the body.

6 Likes

hoganturn
I know lag always talks about forearm rotation into strike and then the pivot outraces the forearm rotation. I seem to get blocks out to the right. But here is a pic of Hogan where it seems his forearm rotation has outpaced his pivot. When I apply this thought, I get more penetrating draws. Who knows what shape he’s hitting, but I think it’s clear that as much as his pivot is rotating(which is really turning here) ,he’s really firing the forearms even more!

Without seeing your swing, it sounds like your pivot hasn’t been fast enough.
If you’re hitting blocks, you probably haven’t turned through the ball fast enough or flat enough, or a bit of both, leaving the path of your swing in to out. With that path, forearm rotation would produce the draw and no forearm rotation would cause the block. That would be my guess :man_shrugging:

Yeah, your prob right about my slow pivot and/or steep pivot. But I guess what I’m asking or confused about is this… if this is the example of a post impact pivot out racing forearm rotation:
Hogan module 3

Then are these just the natural next positions in the swing, or is hogans forearm rotation outracing his extreme pivot rotation?

In the second, third and fourth of these pics I would say that his torso rotation is reaching, or has reached, its maximum rotation, at which point there has to be a full release. In the first pic, to me, he clearly has a lot of range left for his torso rotation to continue accelerating.

1 Like

Tony Lema hitting out of the right pocket

2 Likes

Great stuff here… they were really doing things right back then…

I am working on Mods 1-4 currently. Will future mods teach us how to get the hands down there at P3?

Yes- but work hard on learning to hit from that spot… makes it easier to be able to get there if you can hit it from there

So do you recommend starting in that position and hitting balls? Or just continue to hit the bag? Thanks!

Hitting balls from the 430 start point provides great feedback to how the bag work is progressing