Golf and Guitars

Yes, an important element…
I’m relatively new here, but if I understand correctly…
Acceleration is harder to feel, or sense, with the modern lighter equipment.
Better to have some weight to better feel that acceleration?
Yes, better to have some weight… hmmm, weight… Why…
That’s it!
It’s the weight !!!

Enjoy “The Weight” as sung by “The Band” while enjoying the scenery…
If I’m not mistaken, that’s Lag & Bradley cruising to a recent TRGA event.
And, …if I’m not mistaken…hmmm…Robbo? on the back of Lag’s bike?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLkmbLoaORU[/youtube]

Just want to add that the previous post was meant to honor Lag, Brad & Robbo for their outspoken and polished efforts in promoting the game of golf as it should be played. I don’t know if all of you realize how Robbo has honorably promoted the persimmon game in other forums around the web, while Brad has some truly thought provoking free offerings on youtube.
Classic song, classic movie…No disrespect intended!

Now, back to the music !
Paul C. -Thanks so much for posting the Paul McCartney songs. Always liked his music, but never did get that Ram album. “Too many people”, I really like that one. Imagine finding it here at ABS !!!

Hasn’t been a bad winter over here in NE, but still waiting for that warm weather to kick in. Until then I play things like this to keep warm. Peter Frampton was/is much more than a pop star. He was always, as David Bowie once said, “A bloody good guitarist.”

Here’s the first track from his first solo album that I’m surprised didn’t turn into a big hit.
It warms me up on a cold day/night. The added orchestration adds a really nice touch.

Peter Frampton
Album: Wind of Change
Song: Fig Tree Bay

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waXjizelJ3M [/youtube]

The drums have that kind of Blind Faith- Ginger Baker vibe going on. Nice song. I’ll have to see if I have that buried in the vinyl collection somewhere so I can have a proper listen on the tube amp. :sunglasses:

And for all of those who are hard at work with Lag’s modules and finding themselves “On the Border” of finally flattening their golf swing…
I present this precious gem given to us by Al Stewart. It features a 20 year old Peter White on Nylon String Guitar getting his first studio experience.
Quite amazing actually, especially since he never had a formal guitar lesson.
Not only is the song top quality, but it’s worth listening to for the guitar fills alone !!! One of my all-time favorites…

Artist: Al Stewart
Album: Year of the Cat
Song: On the Border

Notable lyrics in the song
In the village where I grew up
Nothing seems the same
Still you never see the change from day to day
And no-one notices the customs slip away

I thought I saw down in the street
The spirit of the century
Telling us that we’re all standing on the border

In the islands where I grew up
Nothing seems the same
It’s just the patterns that remain
An empty shell
But there’s a strangeness in the air you feel too well

Uncanny how timeless great songs and lyrics are???

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMeLvTIXrpo[/youtube]

The point about string gauges came up earlier in this thread, and for me, seeing the analogy between heavy gauge strings and heavy golf clubs was a HUGE lightbulb moment. I knew the inherent truth through music, and somehow missed it with golf. I’m a musician by profession, specifically a bassist. I came up playing the upright bass, which is like the music equivalent of a persimmon club. It does you NO favors, unwieldy, unforgiving, if you have faulty technique there’s nowhere to hide. If you get good with one of THOSE though, switching to electric is cake. On the other hand, electric players switching to upright universally have big problems. Now these days I play electric for gigs, due to stylistic reasons, but I play it very much with an acoustic bass sensibility. That means I’m focused on tone-production, doing everything possible to get the fattest sound from the instrument itself, before any amplification. And for more raw signal that means heavy gauge strings, which by nature need to be strung to a higher tension (stiffer). I also use flat-wound strings, which have a thuddier tone and tend to require even a little more tension then their easier to play round-wound counterparts. Heavy, stiff, flat… any of this sounding familiar? :laughing: The point behind it all is to give MORE resistance. The harder it is to play, the more I have to do to make dynamic changes (big gear/small gear). This means I need stronger hands than someone playing on a lower resistance set up, but I will have a MUCH bigger dynamic range at my disposal, and much better volume control. As a side bonus, I also get increased accuracy, coming from the string not moving as much due to the tension.

I rarely teach anymore because of my touring schedule, but I am very emphatic with every student (and anyone who asks about my sound) to set their gear up to maximize resistance and make the hands do the work. Not only that, but we want the hands to be very strong, strong enough to able to all that work using less of their total potential, giving us even more range. We like ‘head-room’ in the hands. We normally talk about head-room in referring to amps, for example, it’s better to play on a 1000 watt amp turned down than a 300 watt amp cranked up. Well, I’ve got ‘1000 watt hands’ and if I try to play someone else’s instrument that’s set up to be easy to play, I’ll just overpower it waaaay too easy. I can only use 0-2 of my range of attack, as opposed to 0-10. The amount of potential ‘feel’ (that range) is directly proportional to the amount of resistance offered me by the instrument. RESISTANCE=FEEL.

This is like the tip of the iceberg, I could write a book. I haven’t even started on action (string height) or options for where to pluck the string and the +s/-s of those choices, or how these things interrelate with all the previously discussed factors… It gets deep. But the bottom line is that here at ABS I’ve been shown that this whole phenomenon is at the heart of properly striking a golf ball. FEEL is something to be sought after, it’s what makes one a PLAYER. What gives us feel in golf? Acceleration creates lag pressure, pressure is felt. Can a light club be accelerated through the ball? Sure, but it’s too easy to over accelerate, and no matter how fast the velocity, when there’s no more acceleration, there’s no more feel. Heavy clubs give us needed resistance to accelerate slow and continue through and beyond the ball. Point being to PRESERVE FEEL as much as possible.

Sorry this was a little rambling, I’m not great at communicating this in a written form, and it’s a quirky analogy in some respects, but for me it really solidified why I shouldn’t be using anything that makes things ‘easier’, because ‘easier’ ends up being a lot harder… no feel!

That’s a great post…
thanks for the insight into the bassist’s world. Makes sense.

“Year of the Cat” was on my deck within the last few weeks. That record really comes alive when played through a proper system on vinyl. It’s a very well recorded album also top to bottom. It’s a timeless classic for sure.

Newman–welcome. Great post. It all makes sense doesn’t it? Look forward to your insights on music in this thread. Are you playing mostly jazz with the upright? Here’s one, and for me this one’s all about the lyrics…

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqQqhqbrXhI[/youtube]

Katy tried
I was halfway crucified
I was on the other side
Of no tomorrow
You walked in
And my life began again
Just when I'd spent the last piaster
I could borrow
All night long
We would sing that stupid song
And every word we sang
I knew was true

Are you with me Doctor Wu
Are you really just a shadow
Of the man that I once knew
Are you crazy are you high
Or just an ordinary guy
Have you done all you can do
Are you with me Doctor

Don't seem right
I've been strung out here all night
I've been waiting for the taste
You said you'd bring to me
Biscayne Bay
Where the Cuban gentlemen sleep all day
I went searching for the song
You used to sing to me
Katy lies
You could see it in her eyes
But imagine my surprise
When I saw you

Are you with me Doctor Wu
Are you really just a shadow
Of the man that I once knew
She is lovely yes she's sly
And you're an ordinary guy
Has she finally got to you
Can you hear me Doctor

There’s a lot going on here…

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ug0Pnbbq0I[/youtube]

It just makes me feel so dumb that I preach this kind of stuff to musicians all the time, but for whatever reason I just didn’t get it in regards to golf. I just took the whole argument at face value: ‘Lighter club goes faster, ball goes farther. I’m not any good, I need all the help I can get.’ Cavity backs, toaster-on-a-stick driver… I’m such an idiot. There’s no shortcuts to doing it right. If the best way includes difficulties, then those are the exact obstacles which need to be met face on, embraced and wrestled with, not circumvented by shortcuts. When I discovered ABS, and started making the connections, there was this HUGE realization. Now the bag is full of Hogan Speed Slot woods and '73 Apex blades, and I’m loving it! :sunglasses:

Vinyl is so cool because not only does it sound better, but it’s easy to find great deals all over the place. Not so different from unearthing sets of vintage blades, so many assume it’s inferior technology. NOT TRUE!
Same with tube amps. The physics involved in how vacuum tubes deal with signal makes them unique and amazing. You can try to copy the phenomenon digitally, but it’s apples and oranges. Tape too. My band records onto a Studer 2" tape machine from back in the day. NOBODY is using these things anymore, except a few die-hards. It’s hard to even find tapes to record on, let alone a technician who knows how to properly calibrate the machine and use it right. But the results… BUTTAH! You can have all the latest digital gear, and all the programs and plug ins you want, but you will NEVER come close to tubes and tape.
Jeez, just made another connection. The cool thing about the old stuff is that when you start to push it to its limits, instead of clipping or distorting like digital stuff, it naturally reigns in the peaks and smoothes them down toward the level of the rest of the track… It’s a desirable phenomenon, coincidentally called…(drumroll):
COMPRESSION!!! :laughing:
Tube compression or tape compression, you can fake them digitally, but the real thing is a whole different beast. I’m a fiend for natural compression.

And yeah Paul, I’m an old-school jazzer to the core, even though I don’t perform much straight ahead stuff anymore. My older brother plays sax, and through him I discovered Miles, 'Trane, Bird, Diz, Freddie Hubbard, Woody Shaw, Herbie… all of it. I learned music through jazz theory. Maybe it’s a little similar to the yellow book, every combination, every permutation. One must be fluent in ALL the modes of major and melodic minor, AND synthetic scales like whole-tone or diminished scales, all at blistering speeds… and did I mention we’ll be IMPROVISING the whole time? No predetermined stuff, all reaction. I practiced relentlessly through high school and college, countless hours, to the detriment of my social life, to really ingrain this stuff and make it second nature. So I could call on it anytime and count on the fact that it would be there for me, so I OWNED it. The process of repetition and digestion to the point of mastery is one I’ve personally battled through. And that’s what really struck me about John’s curriculum here at ABS, it’s the exact same approach to striking a golf ball. A process to ingrain correct fundamentals to the point where it would take effort to do it wrong. Only after these things are in place can we then move on to the bigger picture: To be an ARTIST.

Found this guy deep in last year’s winter…

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3X9Bz0LNnc[/youtube]

This song, what can I say. Petty is a hit machine, but this song,I don’t know,something about it…You won’t understand this…but driving through central Pennsylvania in mid June at midnight in the mountains with a full moon…

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM_LEccHIOA[/youtube]

Speaking of Tom Petty…This was off his recent CD. How could you not like this song?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_iBKacXIA4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEBKksupBVA[/youtube]

Turn it up!!!
This is the real deal right here…

Love that era…
Birds of Fire, Inner Mounting Flame, MF Horn series…etc

Great players pushing boundaries, properly recorded with very open simple production just trying to capture something
rather than trying to hide or manipulate the session.

Inner Mounting Flame… Daaaamn, nice one Lag! You really know your stuff.
And it’s Billy Cobham murdering on all of it! He was doing something really special then. Such a unique voice on the drums.

The simple production thing is just not in fashion these days. Too many sweet gizmos to smooth out the rough edges. Quantize, auto-tune and all that… They say you can’t polish a turd, but an incredible amount of money is spent every year on new-fangled turd-polishing technology. Guess it’s easier than practicing!

Knowing Johnny Mac played with Miles on so many of his classic albums… it’s a shame Miles didn’t come over for some work on the Mahavishnu stuff. Could you imagine the solos intertwined with either Jerry Goodman or Ponty?.. or with Jan Hammer and Johnny Mac? One can only dream… :sunglasses:

Lee Morgan, Search for the New Land. This record is not given the attention it deserves. One of my top 5 jazz albums for sure…
Absolute masters on every instrument. Trumpet, sax, piano, guitar, bass AND drums. Top shelf sh1t.
As far as guitar playing goes, Grant Green pours some syrup on this track about halfway through. Very understated. Then Lee rips it with a 2nd solo :open_mouth:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s_13iPg6DY[/youtube]

Good call on Lee Morgan! The Sidewinder is what got me into jazz. Most of those old Blue Note recordings are classics.

For guitar I’d have to say Joe Pass. His virtuoso albums are the ultimate in skill and no BS.

I just recently been getting back into jazz by dusting off old Bill Evans albums…so awesome. That stuff has so much depth. It reminded me of how much of an active endeavour it is to listening to music from that era which requires all of your attention to hear all the nuances.

Good stuff. Take heed of Miles’ knee flex, you’ll need it later on.

That’s just it. The music was made with depth and precision and artistry in mind. It’s made for repeated listens, you can’t get it all at once. It takes effort from the listener to question what they’re hearing, to pay attention to a lot of different things, and digest it slowly. There’s a process there. As time goes by and your ear gets more developed, you can come back to a piece of good music years later and still find new things. The quality of the music makes for quality enjoyment of that process. It’s designed to be challenging, in a good way. At the same time, formulaic pop music is designed the way it is for a reason. It’s catchy and easy to remember. Normally you can hear the chorus the first time through and know it well enough to sing along by the second or third time. It’s meant to be digested all at once, and depth or complexity gets in the way of that process. Active listening isn’t required, it’s a passive thing. That’s why so little of it stands the test of time for the listener, there’s not enough there worth coming back for. But it was never designed for repeated listening and attention, it’s already served it’s purpose. The novelty is a key component.
I prefer grown folks music myself…

Haha yeah, check the sweet spine angle too! I guess the 4:30 line is behind him? Miles did always have his own way of doing things.