Golf and Guitars

Oh, hell, how could you not like this song and movie…

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08e9k-c91E8[/youtube]

1 Like

I had to post this song b/c it speaks to my journey so far with ABS. I can’t thank John enough for opening a door I quite frankly could barely see across the room, let alone turn the knob and walk through. It’s really for me, in part, about moving in the right direction with my golf swing: hard work, sweat, massive reps, hardened (and yet, soft, hands), forearms as strong as a two-by-fours, legs that want to reach a foot down into ground, a realization that if you want to make a positive change in your swing, one must travel back in time, upstream, and work on it there.

Much more than golf…all about me confronting my weaknesses, confrontation and letting go, at the same time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H1N0S6m0h4[/youtube]

nice post Paul - inspiring

Warren Zevon, a musical genius, gone way before his time. Miss this guy everyday. This is a good song…‘I’m drinking heartbreak motor oil and Bombay gin, I’ll sleep when I’m dead…’

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0otLhqSYCo0[/youtube]

I played golf in high school and tried to walk-on on the college team, but never could quite shoot the number in tryouts. After college, I thought about taking the PAT and becoming a teaching pro, but I went in another direction professionally. I am not the stick I used to be, but keep a 5 handicap these days. It was also in college that I began playing guitar and fell in love. Those two hobbies have kept me busy and broke ever since.

I’ve never stopped to ask why it is I’m drawn to each and if there’s a relationship. Perhaps, it’s the balance between brains and brawn. Each one requires a balance of strength, touch, determination, and creativity. Plus, with each, I can find a way to connect to the golfers and musicians I admire. For example, I can play golf at Pinehurst #2 or Torrey Pines and I can learn a favorite song note-for-note. Not sure if that makes sense…

If you’re a student of ABS you understand the metaphor of learning the notes before you can play the song. Here’s a great song, with some fine guitar by Mark Knopfler. If you play guitar, study him, one of the finest.

The ABS modules keep leading me down the telegraph road. I hear faint echoes prodding me on to where I need to be. In my dreams I never catch up.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd3btVhwr48[/youtube]

Here’s another version of the song, ‘Eight Miles High’ by Leo Kottke. Kottke is the master of 12-string guitar–lots of depth, richness and tones in his work.

youtube.com/watch?v=gD5s6wvo … re=related

One more. If I had one shot to write one song, I think this would be it. I think that’s the legendary Jack Cassidy on bass…

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6v0B_-LXNY[/youtube]

youtube.com/watch?v=S5puAN1PGQw

one of my alltime favorites…

only time i saw zevon was in houston years ago at a festival kinda place, here is some guys review:

"I remember the only time I was ever lucky enough to see Warren Zevon live. It was April, 2000 in Houston, TX at a horrible downtown outdoor venue called Party on the Plaza. He played a totally acoustic set, on piano and guitar, throwing off a number of drunken yuppie idiots who kept screaming for “Werewolves of London” after he’d already performed a fine low-key version of it. He bitched about the sound system and made fun of Jimmy Buffet, and played a hell of a show. "

zevon also told a great story about how it’s easy to be on the lamb with just a guitar and no backing band.

Kirk–love Zevon, can’t believe he’s gone.

Here’s Nightfly by Donald Fagen. This is in my top 10 all-time great albums. Every song a winner; here’s the cover track.

“I got plenty ‘a java and Chesterfield Kings, but I feel like cryin’. I wish I had a heart of ice, a heart like ice.” Note the turntable and vinyl. Don’t see that anymore, gone the way of true blades and persimmon. Sound just as rich, too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cd9YJvoQIg[/youtube]

A most excellent thread…

I listened to Paul C’s posting of Telegraph Road by Dire Straits. Brought back a lot of memories of my early high school years trying to cop those licks off the record. Thankfully I had taken classical guitar lessons a few years before. The Knopfler licks are finger picked… As was Lindsey Buckingham’s playing in Fleetwood Mack. I didn’t know it at the time, but Toy Caldwell (Marshall Tucker Band) and Jazz great Wes Montgomery were using mostly just their thumb !!! (Of right hand)
Guess it just goes to show, there are more ways than one to get the job done in Life, Golf and Guitar !!

I’d like to take things back a few years before that Dire Straits album to a very soulful release by the Little River Band. A song which put them in the charts for the first time in America. A piece that says a lot I think about patience, perseverance and the fact that pursuing something worthwhile may turn out to be a lifetime commitment.
It’s first verse is very thought provoking…“Hey everybody, can’t you feel that there’s something…?”
I think we can all tune into that as far as what is happening to golf, and, in fact, to the world around us…

A piece which speaks of great songwriting, beautiful vocals and musicianship. I consider it to be a very unappreciated guitar Opus. The lead guitarist was Ric Formosa. He only played on the first two albums. Born in Rome, Italy, raised in Montreal, Canada and emigrated to Australia. He wanted to stay in Australia, so he gave up the lead guitar spot…

Hope you enjoy…

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDZyG0KJqik[/youtube]

Yeah good music and guitar thread here.

I know doodle about guitars, but a good friend of mine has a treasure trove of classic guitars along with some great stories about how he acquired them. He’s played in concert, or been on tour, with some of the best: Kenny Loggins, Hall and Oats, The Doobies, Tanya Tucker, hell I can’t name them all. I’ll see if he will allow me to do a full post about them for you guitar lovers out there.

Just one of his grand poobahs is an original 59 Les Paul Flametop, complete with original box, price tag, receipt, and all the stuff that came in the box. It was never played by the original owner’s son, although my friend has played it but just a few times since he acquired it… but it stays in storage for the most part. He’s got bunches of guitars like this.

I’ll see what I can do.

He could trade that 59 for a house! :open_mouth:

Snap some pics for us if you get ever a chance.

Vinyl records, audiophile turntables, tube amps and hight efficiency horn driven speakers are no stranger to this household. :sunglasses:

“Guitars come and go…”
That statement was made to me by a man named Buck Brown, a real “cat” that I met during the first week of the first ever Guitar Summer Workshop held here in Ct in 1984? Little did I know that this excellent musician (and person) would go on to perform for years with Nils Lofgren and perform onstage with Bruce Springsteen, and that the National Guitar Summer Workshop would go on to establish schools throughout the US and, in fact throughout the world…
Every once in a while I regret selling off that Heritage series Gibson Les Paul Desert Burst, and that Fender Strat with the beautiful navy blue body and white pick guard…
Alas…Guitars come and go…

And while we’re on the subject, how many are aware of the recent raids at the Gibson Guitar facility in Nashville and Memphis Tn. ? (a few months back in 2011)

Long story short, Gibson was raided by US Federal Agents because their “American” skilled craftsmen were finishing and preparing the rosewood that they legally obtained from India. I want to be careful what I say here in the forum, but because of legislation like the “Lacey Act” and power politics, you would be wise to keep any precious guitars you might have in the country. That priceless 59’ less Paul mentioned a few posts back? It would be seized if you try to transport it across the border unless you can absolutely prove the entire history of its wood back to its place of origin or purchase. Try that with a 59 Les Paul !!!
That’s why musicians are being very careful what they tour with, and why Willy Nelson keeps his priceless “Trigger” at home.
And this also applies to other wood products…
I hope Louisville Golf is careful…

Think I’m kidding?
Read this:
infowars.com/ceo-of-gibson-g … rat-donor/

And definitely check these out:
youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … CoBDIByOv0
youtube.com/watch?v=iLZUGFlCYck

I remember following the Gibson thing for a while, but it gets to the point where it’s so stupid that its frustrating to read about. Maybe the USGA was involved? :laughing:

And now,
Back to the music !!!
Group: Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Album: Brain Salad Surgery

Yeah, persimmon…It still turns me on

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdwzHBnm6mo[/youtube]

Classic, Nutmeg, I kind of forgot about ELP.

You want acceleration, this should do. Flamenco has a rich tradition. Forget everything you think you’ve heard about it and dig deeper.

Funny story…on business in Madrid years ago and visiting flamenco bars to get some immersion. Around 3 in the morning making our way onto the street and we hear loud, angry rock music coming from down an alley and decide to investigate. The alley opened to a plaza and there were about 100 people gathered around listening to the music. We were soaking it in and I’m looking around and I see these bed sheets hanging down from a balcony behind the band and in big red letters, appropriately, it says in Spanish, “Support our brothers in the RED BRIGADES!” We’re digging the music, but saw we were getting dirty looks and decided it was time to move on.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc1nKWcpTHc[/youtube]

Ok, one more…I told you I cast a wide net musically. I like McCartney’s ‘Ram’ album, a real classic. When it gets real windy around here, (like tonight), this song always comes to mind, especially the opening lines…

‘So I sat in the attic,
A piano at my nose,
And the wind played a dreadful cantata (cantata…)…’

Catch up! (catch up),
Cats and kittens (cats and kittens),
Don’t get left behind (get left behind)…

(module work is calling…)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUI4Ty5CGMQ[/youtube]

by Paul McCartney

Too Many People Going Underground
Too Many Reaching For A Piece Of Cake
Too Many People Pulled And Pushed Around
Too Many Waiting For That Lucky Break
That Was Your First Mistake
You Took Your Lucky Break And Broke It In Two
Now What Can Be Done For You
You Broke It In Two

Too Many People Sharing Party Lines