GEARS 3D Modeling System

Doesn’t remotely look like what we’re doing here. At the very least, (because this next statement is based on an almost 70 year old book) his left hand doesn’t even begin to look like Hogan’s left hand.

I can’t even imagine how poorly I’d would be hooking it from there. Crazy

1 Like

I do give GEARS credit for showing me why Hal Sutton was struggling in 2014 gears video.

He was throwing his right arm release.

I doubt gears told him that though for 30K :flushed::skull:

I know this site is anti hitter release. But maybe that is a new release coming out. Must be the new revolutionary tech at work

I won’t say anymore. Life is all about finding your niche. He found his , and appears to be successful in the industry. So for that … kudos to him

It might be what screwed up Sutton :man_shrugging:

Anybody can hit it straight occasionally with marginal mechanics and timing. The question is whether it’s repeatable and stands up under pressure.

In the Foreword to Five Lessons Hogan states: “ I would write it the same way I did in 1957” he said forcefully. “I don’t think the fundamentals will ever change.” Is this last statement a musing or one based on first-hand experience on working out movements that can be repeated at speed?

If GEARS is based on the amalgamation of modern player’s swings put through an algorithm, and we know that most/many are swingers, then it stands to reason that under pressure, the right arm will straighten and the ball will likely go hard left. And the student will be back for more lessons that will really only reliably work while standing there with the instructor.

1 Like

Am I seeing this correctly - the italicized quotes/testimonials on the landing page of their website are strictly from the owners/founders (and not credible ball strikers who have earned $ via golf)?

At least they have financing options :upside_down_face:

GEARS isn’t a, or based on an, amalgamation of Tour players. It just measures swing in 3D. I believe there is an amalgamation you can view, but it’s also actual captures of whoever has been captured.

GEARS isn’t a ballstriking or swing or teaching method. It just measures and produces a 3D model of the golfer and club. That’s it. It gives data. It’s still up to the teacher to interpret the data, figure out what changes need to be made and how to make them, and it’s up to the golfer to actually do the work and make the changes. Athletic Motion Golf has TONS of YouTube videos up where they use GEARS in live lessons and explain concepts with GEARS captures. Padraig Harrington has worked with Michael Jacobs on GEARS and Jacobs 3D to win 3 times in the last few weeks. Peicheng Chen won the Metropolitan Golf Association Public Links Championship and the Long Island Amateur Championship using the same systems to work on his game.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying my amalgamation mistake.

This explains the above photos, as it seemed incredible that Tour players are releasing like what is shown.

Like with most things, choose the teacher that has a first-hand understanding of post-impact dynamics.

Why would anyone in their right mind spend

$30,000.00 for GEARS then? Or 900.00 monthly if thats all it is ….data. :flushed: What golf teacher can afford to implement GEARS. Maybe Haney, Harmon and Coumo

Just crazy for pieces of data

Go to 5:25 of this video (or watch it all if you want) and you will see GEARS captures of the releases of 4 or 5 Tour players including major champions from the face on plane. That’s how Tour players are releasing the club.

A GEARS system is about $40,000 to install. There are a handful of instructors around the country who have one. If you don’t know anything about the golf swing, biomechanics, or how to teach you’ll just be armed with a bunch of information you have no clue how to use. If you know what you’re doing you can gain lots of valuable information from 3D systems and you gain break a lot of myths and lore you may hold. You can separate seems as if from reality.

Your hitting off a level area. Into a blue screen 20 feet away. Not sure about anyone else. But I feel more relaxed and can move more kinematically hitting 20 feet. Versus a real golf course where you rarely have a level lie. Plus you have to account the turf, where your ball is at on the ground. Wind , trees , rough, kept or unkept fairways etc. Your going from a perfect created hitting environment into the real game. Doesn’t work that way.

The game changes for most of not all amateurs when your aiming at real targets. All those numbers are great. But when we put a tee into the ground. Instinct will take over

Unless one can use that info daily. Than the package for 4 times a month won’t help very much.

And how many amateurs has it truly helped ? Not counting pros in this. Just people who truly want to improve. Some drastic before and after a would be great

It appears to me that as long as someone increases path and club head speed on these indoor sessions. Than it is a win for the instructor . But form kinda gets thrown to the curve

The tech imho is still way behind where I think it should be. Now I would maybe pay the $1200 a month price. If they had a machine that allows your to enter and replicate the major money winners from the tour. You can set a gauge on the actual speed for example. So one can turn the fabled “ feel isn’t real” . Into “ feel is real with this”. If I could feel what a Tom Fleetwood scorched iron shot feels like. And replicate that for a few months using a machine like that. Than there is no reason why I wouldn’t improve . I can physically feel all the torques applied with the body , hands etc.

Now something like that would be a game changer for the amateur game. Until than… it’s just numbers being thrown out hitting into a blue screen 20 feet away

1 Like

I saw Rocco on this replication. 30k GEARS is insane.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc2mJxaueR8/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

1 Like

Most golf lessons where swing mechanics are being changed are either done inside or on a driving range. Both are level and controlled environments. Changing swing mechanics and playing golf aren’t the same thing. You could say the same thing about hitting into an impact bag on a deck or into a net in your backyard. GEARS is a hard install into a studio. Unfortunately with our currently technological limitations we can’t do it any other way. But I can make the same swings into a net as I can on the range as I can on the golf course. I’ve practiced on driving ranges my whole life and I think it translates pretty well.

I have no clue how many people have taken lessons with GEARS or what their before and afters are. I’d venture to say that most people who take lessons don’t get better because there’s components of dedication, effort, coordination, and athleticism that has to be applied. It takes a long time and a lot of work to make real, lasting, permanent changes to a golf swing regardless of what tech you may or may not use. How many amateurs record themselves swing only to never look any different on video ever even after years of doing it?

Regardless of what GEARS says then instructor and ultimately the golfer actually has to make the change and stick with it until it becomes a part of their swing. It doesn’t require being in GEARS daily. It doesn’t require GEARS at all as long as you have good information. It requires you knowing what you do, why something else would be better, what that something else is, how to do it, what it feels like, and then doing it 10,000 times until you can’t do it wrong. Rinse and repeat for 10 years and you’ve got a game.

1 Like

If I understand the correlation of the AMG video, it looks like the above photos are an over-exaggeration to achieve the goal of the butt pointing back at the player at 5:00.

They do, it’s called Robo Golf Pro. Dechambeau has used it extensively. But I have my doubts. The golfer has to be the one making the movements with their own forces and torques being applied with their own exertions and biomechanical movements, not just being guided through the motions. But I could be wrong.

https://robogolfpro.com/

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a correlation. I don’t know anything about those pictures or the lessons that were given. It doesn’t look good to me. My point in posting the AMG video was that they were showing real releases of real Tour players captured with GEARS. Again, nothing more and nothing less. GEARS just captures motions. What you do with it and the conclusions you draw from it are your own.

1 Like

Slinger, is your buddy in the pics a long hitter, bomber?

Never met the guy. It’s off the teachers Instagram
. I slowed down the swing and looked at it frame by frame. Backswing looks nice