Coriolis effect

You’ve got it now Eagle…you are now a new member in the band! However newbies have to carry the PA for a spell :laughing:

That really works well…tried it this morning and I like that a whole bunch better than how I looked at it before: starting at 1/4 notes and finishing with 1/16th notes.

One thing that hit big time using this time signature is LOW and LEFT. That’s a lot more left than I thought it would be and feel like :astonished: …but it was really cool! And the shoulders…I don’t think mine has ever turned that level before…and now I know why.

Thanks Lag… ABS is really the internet version of Hogan’s Alley… :smiley:

1T,
I reckon the head motion can alter balance and throw everything off, not just the club’s route through the ball- though that’s obviously the thing that matters. There have been a lot of great strikers with a lot of head motion of different kinds. For the most part I suspect it’s determined by where their minds are as they swing. Hogan talked about very specific targets to aim at, and his head(as well as everything else) moves pretty soon after the ball leaves the clubface. This suggests that he’s actively ‘going to that target’ as he moves. Some players seem more focused on the strike, and seem to turn their heads into that point on the ball or path as the club approaches. I know I play and have played my best golf when I’m somewhat removed from my body and the ball. When my mind is ‘out there somewhere where I want the ball to go’ I tend to play my best… though I may not actually strike it the best doing that over time, I certainly have better results. It’s a trade off to be monitored, I reckon. We only occasionally ‘get there’, mostly I think we’re always surrounding IT in some way- leaving it or getting to it or trying to back to it. So goes the battle.
More of the modern players release their heads to the target, and I see that as related to the more target type thinking of the last 15 or so years, largely introduced by Bob Rotella. I think ‘improvements’ in equipment, ie. they’re just easier to hit for the most part, has enabled the modern player not to be all that concerned about the strike- you just don’t have to work as hard for it. That’s a pretty broad overview/generalization, but I can see it. Standing over a 2i/1i and standing over a hybrid club with some crap to carry, are two different worlds. One, you can largely ‘let happen’, the other sort of has to be ‘made happen’… guess which one is which :slight_smile:
It sounds by your questions, that you have a fair amount of focus on the ball and contact. That’s a tricky thing to manage, especially when you’re out playing and trying to hit different shots. I’d say if there was a Humunculus(thanks Macs!) for the average golfer, the ball would dwarf everything- yet it’s actually the smallest thing there… that doesn’t seem coincidental somehow.

youtube.com/watch?v=9gRVpliWi5c

Not sure I am on thread with this but its one of my fave songs and the focus of this is on the main protagonist - the drummer. As far as I can see, he doesnt seem to move his head to the intended target (ie his drums) during this song - all purely instinctive. Makes me think about how easy this game of golf is when we ‘dont care’ - ie the back handed putts from 2 feet that seem to go in…shots at the range that seem to hit the centre of the clubface when we are not even thinking about it.

BTW - drummers…songs called The Rat…I may need some red pills at this rate.

Rgds, ZD

ZD…good point about not watching what he’s hitting. But he is aware of its location and presence within the time interval for sure…just like golf.

I hope this doesn’t sound like a critique, as it is not my intent…but there is something else one can infer from his playing on that song that is on-point with this discussion in some ways. He’s has good fundamentals and “young lungs”. He is really not doing anything complicated…just fast over a 2-bar frame. I would like to see him let the song “breathe” a little. You don’t always have to “fill up” every ounce of time with notes, or beats…sometimes silence is golden. Again, it was the only song I watched so I don’t know how his style changes, if any, for other songs. But he is on attack mode in that song.

Good drummers when know when it’s time to come out and attack, and when to lay back and let the song come to them.

Just like golf…a time to attack…and a time to lay back a little and enjoy the flow. :sunglasses:

Well this has absolutely nothing to do with this thread but it is music (some would say!!)…so I am posting it here for Range Rat’s (aka The Drummer Boy) benefit

For those that never knew about Jake Trout and The Flounders…it was a group of golfers Peter Jacobsen (vocals), Payne Stewart (harmonica & backup vocals), Mark Lye (guitar)…I think Larry Rinker (guitar) may have joined the group after this video was made also.
They made at least one album which I unashamedly have (Payne Stewart gave it to me when we flew home to Orlando from an event together …as well as singing it the entire way back to my house in his car also !!!)…it is actually not awful and has some good fun golfing lyrics.

They parodied real songs from the music world using the same music and replacing the words of each song with golf related lyrics. This is a remake of the 1983 Randy Newman song…I Love L.A

If you haven’t seen it…it is cool viewing and shows a lighter side to many of these PGA guys just grooving for the fun of it

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/18982404[/vimeo]

I remember that…pretty funny stuff! Didn’t JD play a little with them on guitar…who was the drummer, was it Kite?

Actually drummer boy is hanging it up. Haven’t played since October and don’t really miss it…so I guess that says it’s about time. Besides, things are different now…no smoking in venues…a general treand towards lower pay due to the economy along with karaoke wannabes…and just getting older. Will keep a kit set up in my basement however so when inspired I can go do some stuff.

Hope you guys didn’t mind getting off topic a bit…hard to not stray sometimes in these threads.

Leave you with my last drumming story. I was born New Year’s Eve 1951…which was the year I Love Lucy made its television premier. You guessed it…I was named after Ricky Ricardo…what were my parents thinking, they must have been on drugs :laughing:, and after Little Ricky was born, that was my nickname for quite a while. So I think I was doomed before I had any say in that matter :laughing:

!951 was a good year though…the year the Monster was brought to its knees…and the year I probably first started playing on my knees :laughing: