Classic Persimmon Drivers

Frediec/Arnie
Does perfect grain mean going from inside out? which is a cool aid to aid with swing path.

Mac,
Grain is such a buzz word with persimmon enthusiasts. I’ve learned that most good blocks of persimmon that are hand chosen have grain patterns referred to as “U” or “horseshoe” structure. Choices blocks like Bob’s Powerbilt, Wood Bros, Penna, Clev. Classic to mention a few have “U” or horseshoe grain structure that starts out at point of the pear on the toe side and aligns right into the hitting area. You always want the growth lines going into the face, even on a tight U or Horseshoe. It really does not have anything to do w/ helping the player align his swing, but it really signifies a good hard block. You also sometimes find dark carbon deposit spots in the heads, which signifies a real dense hard old wood. This makes great conversation at a cocktail party, you should try it out. LOL. I spoke to Dave Wood of Wood Bros and he explained this to me.

Freddie,

Ever seen a grain pattern like this? It’s a Cleveland Classic 4 wood:
CC4w.jpg

Here’s a blonde TP that has a bunch of carbon deposit spots:
TPblonde.jpg

Rob,
That Penna is nice. Looks to have really tight grain. In a natural stain like that the carbon spots add character to the head. My Natural stained Texan driver has
some as well. I’ve seen grain like your cleveland fairway wood a few times before. I think one of my M85 fairway woods has grain just like that but it has a mahogany stain
so its less viseable.

My new driver, $20.00 lol
photo.jpg

post a top view photo, and one of the insert too!

will do once the x100 goes in and new grip. Its in the shop now for “repairs”.

Does anyone know if the whipping has any real function other than cosmetic looks/prevents potential chipping of the persimmon while rattling around in your bag?

The reason I ask is that I’m getting some new whipping next week and got a matching 2-wood and a 4-wood on the cheap recently. They both came without whipping…Kind of feel like slapping on a couple of grips to see what these new toys can do and wrap them next week.

It provides strength and support to the neck. Its a must if you dont want the head flying off down the fairway :smiley:

some more pics
photo(2).JPG
photo(1).JPG
photo.JPG

That’s a beauty!

I also love the Keyhole inserts.
Nice grain and looks like a good sitting block

Its sits great Lag.
The pro told me today, that it took him 3 hours to take the shaft out lol.
He also said that it was difficult to find a shaft thin enough to fit into the hosel. I was amazed at that !!!. Anyway, he found someone who had a shaft that would fit, and it will be in my club in a few days.

This pro, and I actually went thru our time together in the mid 80’s. He dosent play anymore, said something about “low lefts”, i didnt really listen. So anyway this guy knows my history. Knows I could play a bit. He just shakes his head , first i get him to bend my clubs 5 flat, now a persimmon driver, lol, i love it.

Now i just need to find those reg tees i use to use

Steve

Remember, you can bore out the holes and make them wider to fit in a stiffer shafts.
We rebuild the necks here and flatten them out also so they set up correctly for a flatter golf swing.

Every time someone hands me a modern driver to look at… they usually sit about with a 64 degree lie angle. It’s like clubs
are being build by engineers with a 3rd grade education in golf. I have my persimmons set at 48 degrees.

At a guess, i would say this one sits at 52 deg. Looking forward to hitting it

1 Like

My modern driver is down to about 57*, but it still looks really upright because of the length. I know I’ll get good enough with persimmon in the next year and a half I won’t need it except for 7500 yard monsters.

Picked up a Powerbilt Citation driver today for $1.00. It’s in good shape and has the HB horseshoe on the soleplate. I will be regripping and hitting this baby soon.

I have come to the conclusion I really like the pear shape persimmon drivers such as my '62 wilson staff model and titlleist w6951 and my macgregor T945 too
The other shapes just don’t look right, though they do hit just fine.

What shapes do others like and why?