Classic Persimmon Drivers

I must say that I feel very honoured to have a persimmon that has been crafted by Lag! I just hope that I can do it justice…!

Robbo,
That Texan is a stud!! Looks awesome. I really like the paint fill combo. All the Texans heads were made with choice persimmon and thats a great example. I have a WB 3 wood that matches that,also a blondie and has a WB on the back.

Thanks Freddiec,

I’ve gotten some good ebay deals in my time, but this was by far the best. I have one of the WB “Corkers” and one of their “Kool Kat” fairway woods, both of which I bought back in the 90’s. Neither of those are very “special” to me as it seemed to have been from a time when they were trying to “trick things up” a bit… they probably felt like they had to with the direction the industry was taking. The Texan is simply a classic!

What ball do you play when you bring the persimmons out?

Robbo

Great to see everyone’s persimmons on here… I truly love them, and my hobby is refinishing them. I try and play them from time to time, and am currently refinishing what will be my “classic gamers” that I will play with next year. The clubs are all MacGregor, and are as follows:
George Bayer GB1W DX Model deep face driver
Tommy Armour SS1W 2 wood
Tommy Armour 693 4 wood
M55 5 wood (reshafted with an M85 shaft)
In a month or so I will try and post some pics!
Here are my top 10 favorite MacGregor drivers (In order)
Armour 693
Penna TP Special (currently own)
Penna 403PT (currently own)
Armour 945
Hogan Pro Model (currently own)
M09 LFF
M85
M75 (currently own)
Hogan 4393 (currently own)
Armour 653 Eye O Matic
Love them 'Macs!!

Robbo,
I usually play Titleist tour balata 100s when I take out my persimmons. Although I also have dozen Professionals which I used last week for the 1st time and they are also good to play with. I’ll always stick with the old wound balls. I need to stock up soon. I’m getting a bit low. I recently also picked up a Texan and should have it early next week. I’ll post a pic, yours is sweet.

Persimmonpal,

I would love to see pics of your persimmons, in particular, the George Bayer…

I play all my stuff, and customize it for my tastes and swing theories. I have been flattening all mine to 48 degree lie angles with my drivers. Like Bill Mehlhorn, I am a big believer that that golf swing works better from flatter swing planes. Closer to 45 degree angle the better. At least with the persimmons, you can do this, or work on your own gear.

Here are a couple drivers I recently picked up. The first is a Hogan Apex and the second a. Mac M75W super eye o matic. One or both could get the Lag refinish treatment…
IMG00038-20091125-0932.jpg
IMG00037-20091125-0932.jpg
IMG00036-20091125-0932.jpg
IMG00034-20091124-1550.jpg
IMG00032-20091124-1550.jpg

hey cheese—does this look familiar?

fun stuff huh?

eyeo.JPG

more pics here—http://www.advancedballstriking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=311&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=beb70120c1a00d67e0720e26b7a4c2f7&start=60

I just wanted to be part of this club!!

I have searched for some persimmon woods and found that some came as a set of 3: driver, 3wood and 4wood. What was the idea behind the 4 wood? Easier to hit from the fairway? I can’t see the different loft between the 3 and 4wood making a huge difference in terms of distance but I might be wrong. Any ideas? Thanks.

The classic MacGregors from the 50s and early 60s era (full set) included driver, 2 wood, 3 wood, 4 wood. Not exactly sure when a 5 wood became available, will have to check my Mac History book. The 4 wood was pretty much like the modern day 5 wood, move loft and shorter, easier to hit from the scrappy lie or fairway. I used to carry a nice Tommy Armour model when I was in High School (model SS1W) I believe. It was beautiful. I loved hitting it off the tee on short holes.

I’m the proud owner of a brand new 1993 Wood Bros Texan. I just received this today. This one has a bit of history and was custom made for a Major Champion. The player rejected it because it sat to square, he wanted on that sat a little closed. It has a S300 shaft and came with a cool Wood Bros head cover. The grain on this block is extremely tight horseshoe pattern which also contains carbon deposits.
Texan 002.jpg
Texan 004.jpg

Very nice Freddie - now the big question: play or display!?! :open_mouth:

Cheers, Arnie

Freddiec,

Oh my!!! How nice is that driver??!!

And how funny that a major champion didn’t like it because it sat TOO SQUARE!!! I didn’t think a driver could ever look too square!

Nice stick,

robbo

Thanks Robbo,
Yeah, I know. I always look for one that sits good and this one is great. I’ve always been partial to old Macs and probably will always be, but the Texan is probably the most attractive persimmon I’ve ever laid my eyes on. Its really a work of art, from the wood they chose and the cool sole plate and paint. The processes they followed really allowed for a world class driving instrument… Yours is very sweet too.

stunning!!

Thanks Freddie.

Your driver looks great, I couldn’t bring myself to play it I think…

Thanks Arnie, I’ll definitely hit this a few times. Could end up just for display, but I’ll have some fun with it first. I like persimmons too much, to let them just sit. We’ll see.

freddie (and others)—you wanted pics—here you go!!
PowerBilt H+B Citation (plus)
I have no idea what year it might be—seraches have come up empty—any ideas?
It has a True Temper Dynamic (NOT DG) with a circled C on it—any ideas on that?

a good looking block in superb (maybe unhit?) condition
it looks even better in real life!!
It even has the orig grip (made for H+B) that looks brand new

I paid 20 bucks—free shipping—so basically I got it for 10 dollars! :smiley:

PB8.JPG

PB7.JPG

PB6.JPG

PB5.JPG

PB4.JPG

PB3.JPG

PB2.JPG

PB1.JPG

Bent,
Wow, thats a beauty! Look at the grain on that thing!. Absolutely perfect. Choice block. I love it!! Powerbilt really made some quality persimmons and thats a great example. Not sure of the shaft…

I have an H&B Powerbilt Citation with a B shaft in myself and a while back I got this answer from Tom Wishon on his forum:

Cheers, Arnie