Bradley Hughes Cuts Loose!

Lets look at Els, Woods, Mickelson compared to Hogan, Trevino, Snead & Jones…all in the same position coming down from an identical view down the line.

No tricks with lines as Budman believes is occurring. Certainly no Haney plane for Hogan, Trevino, Snead & Jones. The top pics of modern day is what these guys are taught by trying to flash light the target line and the they all roll the club with extended arms shooting the club off plane on the way through. I will find the post impact pics to match to show later.
You can’t keep trying to keep the club on the target line plane going back and matching it going through, because it stops the rotation necessary to hold the shaft and club face on “true” plane into impact and beyond, where it matters most. You need motion/movement that forces the club back onto true plane coming into impact so you are then pressuring the shaft thru properly for control. That’s why these older guys ALL shallowed out their plane so they could force the shaft back onto the proper plane and keep it there

downlines.JPG

Pretty quiet lower body here and the wrists and forearms are rotated to drop the club behind him…shallowing the plane out significantly

Yo Bud, :sunglasses:
I didn’t mean to say that but I understand why you read it that way. Allow me to explain.

Lag or Two may set me straight, but here is my understanding of it:

I agree that he is not deliberately pulling the shaft down.
BUT he still needs to allow the club to fall or drop in the slot, more than what is caused by lower body movement alone.

I suspect that he is actively NOT using certain muscles during the drop but obviously I don’t know that for sure.

So while the initial part of the drop is initiated by the lower body, there is more to it than that IMO.
And what Hogan did was a combination of moves that he felt he did consciously and moves that he allowed to happen naturally. This goes for all of us. What may have felt natural to him, sometimes needs to be learned by us before it can become natural if that makes sense…

If you initiate with the lower body and…
if you have the proper hand attitudes at transition and
if you learn to properly rotate the forearms and
if you have enough spine tilt to make room for the arms to pocket themselves on the downswing and
if you can do all this and properly and slot the club…

Then you have to have the guns at the bottom to handle that load which is going to start from the ground up particularly
from the pressure created downward into the right ankle bone.

This is what we teach students here to do… one step at a time.

There is an intellectual element sure… but muscular conditioning, repetition, spacial awareness and getting comfortable with the continuity of the chain of events that actually happen very quickly takes a bit of time, practice and patience, just like any other skill you are going to learn. We leave no stones unturned, and the guys that really work hard at it… they all get it.

well put together Lag…perfectly stated.
I made one more quick vid based on the same premise showing the differences in players for anyone interested.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yacYG6Ba-fk[/youtube]

Easy to draw lines Budman…it’s what behind them that counts which supports the underlying concepts- which are far more important than the line itself.

This rat is arbitrarily guilty as charged :laughing: :laughing:
lines.jpg

I drew the blue oval and the yellow sun for effect-----couldn’t help myself :laughing:

Lag said:

Not to get off topic, but coincidentally I was talking to an 80 year old college football nut 2 days ago( the season is drawing near), and we were discussing the challenge for a college football coach…teaching and training 18-22 year old boys new plays, systems, etc, and inculcating well enough so they can perform in a real game on the fly. And all this when their minds and hearts at that age tend to be consumed with other things. In my day that would be beer, fast cars , and poon-tang…these days I’m not sure. :open_mouth:

Anyway, he said something similar to Lag’s quote, which was advice given to Danny Ford prior to his success at Clemson…
“tell’um once, and make’um do it a thousand times.”

No truer words can be spoken…and on so many levels too! :wink:

Captain Chaos

Wrong order, eagle…even now. However, I agree with the intent whole-heartedly.

Captain Chaos

No particular order was intended CC…just whatever had been satiated the least. As for the “these days I’m not sure”…I meant that sometimes I’m not sure what today’s college kids have on their minds. I guess the brain hasn’t changed that much. Just more hazardous/poisonous choices.

Another good one, Two. Thanks. Keep’um coming!

I added a new line on each player…a yellow one… (from this pic I posted on the page before about plane line down)…the yellow lines are pointing directly where the glove logo is or would be pointing to

this is right up RR and Bom’s alley…what do you notice?

downlines1.jpg

I see right angles in the second grouping

Correct Mashie… :exclamation: :exclamation:

:question: :question: so is today’s on plane belief really on plane??.. I say NO…as the greats of the past show beyond a reasonable doubt, by shallowing out and creating perfect right angles on the way down

Well I guess it may matter if the player sees the world in circles or lines perhaps. I think it was maybe Palmer who said that everyone has a certain percentage of swing ( circular ) and a certain percentage of hit ( linear ) within them and the varying mix between the two and how that mix varies between different players goes a long way in making up how they move a club, and maybe more importantly, how other’s perceive it.

No doubt that shallower and under is better if one can handle it. But it takes some hard work for sure…it just isn’t handed to you.

However I did see something in those pictures that I have often wondered about. That would be the linear aspect of the mowing lines on the teebox. If one was a linear type of guy I suppose those would be helpful. I noticed that both Els and Woods have their ball teed in almost the same position- just a little outside a mowed line- and their feet parallel on the other side of the mowed area.

Did teebox’s of old have those distinct mowing lines in them? Or is that just something that is accentuated with today’s modern cutting equipment.

Just a random rat thought that I am curious about if anyone knows the history of cut grass…the lawn type, not the smoking type. :laughing:

Bradley Hughes makes this weeks list of best sports writing, see #3
Congratulations!
Way to make a difference… one great website at a time :smiley:

thescore.ie/the-sports-pages … 4-Jul2011/

Love it! :smiley:

Two–thanks for this vid, very helpful. I find that if I focus on keeping the underside of the right forearm pointing at the sky coming down, and the right palm, I’m ready to fire. But as Lag stated above, one better have the guns to fire through. No faking this move, that’s for sure. And a work in progress for me, but moving in the right direction…

2M,

What do you when the ball is significantly above your feet in reference to amount of flattening? Ex: the ball is just below your knees…Does the handle point to a spot above the ball in this location?..I tried that idea and my first two attempts went dead right…

Guys,

I was over on Bradley’s Youtube Channel and came across the swing of Frank Phillips. I can’t stop watching it. I thought I would share it here. What a great golfswing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PCqD55jNWw[/youtube]