Bradley Hughes & ABS On Tour

@twomasters That Jackie Burke interview is just pure gold, thanks again for that. Hopefully you do come across those other two parts, I could watch that on repeat. He’s a gem of a man.

I remember growing up hearing that Hogan was left handed - has that ever been confirmed do you know?

His first golf club was left handed, but he in fact was not
Lots of people have said that… even if you do a google search it’s there from many articles as fact- but the best source would be Hogan himself from this Golf Digest interview and he puts that fallacy to rest

2 Likes

Very cool, thanks for that, I’d never seen that before.

Interesting that his early practice was with a left handed club - the real secret :grin:

He said that he wished he had played his whole career left handed in his 5 Lesson books even though he was a righty, turns out Moe Norman is left handed and played as a righty, and also Henrik Stenson.

Which page did he say that? I haven’t read 5 Lessons in forever. I don’t recall that bit.

2 Likes

Curtis had a very correct and properly fundamental golf swing in his prime years. Great weight transfer, level shoulder rotation, balance, tempo.

1 Like

Ballard said Curtis always kept the forces with split grip drill in every practice swing 1980s (pressure in shaft) :sunglasses::+1:

Center drill is my orbit pull :golf:

2 Likes

Very cool, thanks for that.

I definitely remember him writing, and I’m paraphrasing here,

“People have said that I’m left handed but that’s wrong, the fact is my first club was a left handed club. But I had to switch to right handed clubs as there were very few left handed clubs. Doing it all over again, I would have kept playing left handed clubs.”

He wrote this in either 5 Lessons or Power Golf or the 1955 Life article. Out of all the left handed players who have won majors, Bob Charles, Mike Weir, Phil Mickelson, and Bubba Watson, only one of them were naturally left handed, the rest were right handed.

• 5 Lessons
2 Likes

The irony is his statement in a 1987 interview is not even consistent with 5 Lessons. The quote Bradley posted I believe is from that interview. In either case, I can not find the quote you are paraphrasing.

Probably not any measured data on this, but upon whom would you wager had a faster tempo, Hubert Green or Lanny Wadkins?

The plot thickens…

I can’t have a post that just says ‘the plot thickens’ because it lacks character :innocent:

1 Like

There’s lots of contradictory stuff from Hogan. In one magazine article he said he never made notes afrer practicing and didn’t know where these things came from, but he says exactly that in 5 lessons.

1 Like

We’re probably verging on ‘Thoughts on Ben Hogan’ at this stage, but I think some of his later years’ interviews, without sounding disrespectful, he was starting to show signs of age, if that makes sense. He had a very tough life in many ways, so I’m sure he ran out of steam to an extent in his later years.

You’ve probably read it, but James Dodson’s book was brilliant I thought.

2 Likes

I don’t know Green’s swing well enough tbh, but it’s hard to think of many more quick draw swingers than Lanny. I had this picture in my collection so figured I’d post it - not tempo related, but pretty cool.

1 Like

Hubie Green had more loop outside on the backswing and he kind of alley ooped it back to 430- so with that his backswing and possibly overall swing would seem slower than Lanny’s - who just went more direct… but at the bottom of swing am sure they were both accelerating

This is my girls high school team from Chesnee SC. I teach all five of the starters and have worked with them for the past two years.
They work hard and have improved considerably in that time.
Last year they won the State Championship with their best player finishing school and starting her career at Clemson. She was ranked #1 or #2 for much of her career in the State rankings and would consistently shoot in the mid to high 60’s. She was the star of the team for sure.
However after losing her the other girls all stepped up and most of them shot 10 strokes better this year and they managed to win the State Championship again and go back to back.
Amazing effort. Couldn’t be prouder of the way they consistently come for lessons to learn and how well they apply the things I show them.
I believe all 5 will be back next year also and we will see if they can run the trifecta.

7 Likes

@BomGolf222 & @RangeRat
Here is part 2 and 3 of the Jackie Burke interview

Part 2 Private video on Vimeo. Password jbchamp

Part 3 Private video on Vimeo Password jbchamp

3 Likes

Man that’s brilliant stuff, I really appreciate the effort :+1: I’ve been wanting to see this interview again for years but could never find it.

Cheers