Analysis of Modern Golf Swings

The hard part of making that change is that Elk likes to rotate a lot through with his hands and has a steeper clubpath. He does link it up to his body turn but if he’s going to really do that hard pull of the right arm across the body he has to change the release to have less rotation of his forearms through the ball. Otherwise, at first he’s going to be pull-hooking it.

It’s scary to change your release, a lot of times it’s the one thing you can count on. It takes months to change and years to trust the change.

Today’s SITD episode of Phil and Elk have him working on that very thing - less right hand rotation and more pivot. Phil wants him to finish with the back of his right hand pointed at the target. His finish now is flatter and more around than before where he would be very upright and the club more straight out in front of him. To me it appears he is trying to work a lot of Mod 3 into Elk’s swing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL2C9G4Pfmk[/youtube]

Oh crap niiice. Awesome advice down to what really matters. I really like that way Phil Rogers is teaching it.

I hope he sticks with it. I can sympathize with that feel when you first start doing it, “Will I ever be able to swing the club as fast?”. It is good to try and maximize distance without giving up accuracy. You have to learn how to make up the speed you lose at first by speeding up the torso. The more you try to speed up your torso the more you need to have proper legwork and strong legs to serve as the foundation.

Working on a little ABS?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0VOQjuxFeU[/youtube]

Chuck Cook is definitely an old school teacher. Kite was his main student back in the day.

Interesting that Luke would pursue more of a hitter’s technique. He certainly has been very successful with a swinger’s release, but I would guess he is aware of the difficulty in timing such a move, how it feels under pressure and the toll the ball beating is taking on his body and psyche to keep it all in check.

Watched the replay of the “new record for sudden death” on the Web.com tour last night. I may have missed it, but how can there not be any ABS-Love for Dawie Van Der Walt’s swing!!! Talk about the poster-child for PIA!!! It has to be one of the fastest post impact pivots ever… faster than 2 masters possibly. :slight_smile:

I scoured YT for video and there is simply none to be found of DVDW. However… if you can catch him on tour or TV you’ll see what I mean. I bet he’ll be contending again soon.

I trust all is well here.

robbo

Yeah he’s fast post impact but not really with his body, it’s all flash speed. Plus he’s a cheat so if you get the chance to root against him, do it. Nasty piece of work.

Interesting swing. Open stance, steep shoulders like Trevino.

1 Like

Hitter?

2 Likes

Funny, only yesterday I was looking at Scottie Scheffler’s action and noticed how much better he looked going through the ball as a youngster. Obviously he’s had an amazing year, and there’s more to winning than golf swings, but after he struggled so much in the last round I couldn’t help wonder if he’d have had an easier time had he kept his more level rotation through the shot that he had when younger.

A touch slingy/soft as a youngster (not unlike Furyk in ways), but looks very clean to my eye vs his current action, where he seems to get steep and stuck going through - still, I think he’s better than most currently through the ball with most clubs, probably hurts the driver for him more than the rest of the bag.

Scottie S

Xander Schauffele

A great golf swing imo, even by classical standards. Probably gets a bit flippy with the driver, but that’s natural enough in the modern, long hitting game - but it’s not flippy in a face closure sort of way, more in a square, accelerated way.

Trevino might be a classical comparison - controversial, I know…

All 3 guys (morikowa, scotty, and schauffle) are really solid with irons. They all have shown that they roll their hands backwards through the strike on GEARS. Only way to manage offset consistently i guess.

Once they get to modern woods the stall becomes more obvious and they they are definitely swinging vs. Hitting. Clubs are just too light.

Hovland looks good through the bag…but still has a stall with the big sticks. As does every person playing modern gear.

Modern ball doesnt seem to mind glancing blows, too efficient.

The only reason scotty can hold those angles with the modern driver is because hes 6’5". That is roughly how tall you should be based on lie angle at address. I know this is supposedly for toe droop, which he wont have much of.

Iron byron is a large machine…if it were a human, it wouldnt be 5’10-6ft like the majority of golfers. It would be Finau, Scotty and the like…6’3" plus.

Too bad they dont have a hitters release machine to test with…probably couldn’t do better than persimmons and blades anyway.

3 Likes

Finau is a phenomenon, a real gunslinger - it all seems to happen from his hands to his elbows, superb hand/eye coordination.

His arm/hand/club unit is as good as anyone at impact imo. The bits either side of that can be debated obviously, but lots of good stuff.

1 Like

I agree…love a good waggle. His is modern, but its nice to see it.

2 Likes

Saw this, had to post it…

2 Likes