Analysis of Modern Golf Swings

Adam Scott downswing and release - youtu.be/EB8xHNTblYM

It’s nice to see Erik Compton playing well, ive always liked his golf swing.

Very nice swing

I feel like what the modern pros are really doing is keeping the clubface square the minimum amount of time necessary to hit a straight golf shot. Looking at adam scott’s impact and post impact you can see, by looking at his hands, that he does that and allows the club to swing freely after that.

Seems like this is because the equipment helps correct misses (both club and ball) so he can optimize his swing for clubhead speed. I know most on this site, including me, like a release that keeps the clubface more square for a longer period of time, but you have to appreciate them adapting to the equipment. Lots of money to be gotten out there by playing that stuff.

This is an interesting study of the golf swing from Kelvin Miyahira. What I like is that he is not telling us how to hit, but he is explaining how the greats used their bodies and how this movement compares with some of the greats in other sports. I think it reinforces what we are learning here. At the end he does a little comparison of who looks like Rory and explains how it is different.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzDrKFdUUE0[/youtube]

Thanks for posting this. I actually like this guy after reading an article he did titled “Hogan’s Release and why you’re never going to get it.” It was one of several consecutive lightbulb moments responsible for me figuring out the true pivot release, using the body and not actually throwing the hands.

Casey martin and lee trevino - imgur.com/a/JWNFX

Jesus, she’s stomach high and still has bend in her right wrist.

There is a lot of ABS in Jordan Spieth’s swing. Good stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=BlCO7ElLxNc

Butch has done some good work on Rickey, who was a poster child for stall and flip.
Rickie Fowler: Analysis 2014 Swing Vs 2011:

youtu.be/LpiRcrCRdO8

I’m not knocking the changes he’s made cos he seems to be playing decent, but in what way has he changed his release? Changes are mostly cosmetic in my opinion when the release doesn’t change. Admittedly his timing might improve with the new backswing.

Sure he still straightens his legs and his arms come off his body, but less so and he no longer has to do that to find the ball. I doubt he is going to become an ABS poster boy, but he is moving in the right direction.

Quote of day from Kenan over on Thunderdome:

This is incredibly corny but I recently started playing TigerWoods 2014 on my PS3. There’s a mode on the game where you have to play against Hogan (his swing is not even vaguely recreated by EA Sports) and Snead (his swing on the game looks awesome but it’s probably not accurate either) with the old 1950s equipment. It is a lot of fun. In order to knock it close or even hold a green you have to work the ball into the greens using pretty severely curving shots. Nothing cooler than hooking a 5 wood into a back left pin when it’s protected by a front left bunker.

And the sound of a persimmon tee shot is like the sound of a home run off a wooden bat. Hollow metal shots just aren’t as cool.

Pros could play and score with steel shafts and wooden woods. Weekend warriors would/could still buy all the toys the club-makers want to put out but it’s not fun to watch a pro whale on a space age metal weapon. It’s like watching Bruce Lee use a gun to kill a guy. I don’t want to see that. I want to see somebody bomb it 300 on the fly with a steel and wooden club. Some of these tour dudes could do it easy.

It’ll never happen but I think the entire golfing crowd would have a lot more respect for the tour and get a lot more excited about seeing the pros overcome the course and themselves with some seriously challenging equipment. This bomb and wedge game is boring.

Is there a button on the controller that lets him go on balata mode? And, no, “the golfing crowd” currently pushed up against the ropes, hats on backward, beer in hand, are not excited seeing pros play shorter strategically designed courses. But that approach shot that Bubba hit on 15? was worked, though it didn’t hold the green. They don’t understand the classic game, let alone know that persimmon comes from a tree. I think it’s called a persimmon tree. And in this context it’s “wail” not “whale,” which is what I’m doing now.

Yes Bubba can curve the ball. The shot on 15 might have been the best play. Looking on TV it looked like he had a big gap. The bad weather certainly had thinned out the trees in parts. Bubba isn’t know for a great short wedge game, and that little wedge to 15 to that pin is one of the toughest shots in championship golf. The drive on 13 was a big miss that worked out.

Jonas Blixt golf swing is a good modern swing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1z2Pmm8ggI[/youtube]

Yes the right arm straightens, but the clubface stays square to arc.

Some very ABS friendly thoughts from Stenson:
youtu.be/7C58vmG1-ho

Great stuff.

Nice quote from the video: “You’re better off with pressure than with speed.”

Here is Elk working on Mod 3 with Phil Rodgers. Right arm straight across his body and preserving wrist cock in the finish.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW5hbPil3RE[/youtube]