Analysis of Modern Golf Swings

That is not why he hooks!! Rory has a great squat and gets the shaft way on the 4:30. He hooks cause he pivot stalls and is flippy through impact.

1 Like

I disagree. His move in transition is to move his arms behind him and not flatten the shaft, so he is inside/steep. This orients him aiming too far out to right field. He manages to get it back on the ball most of the time, of course, but if he gets a little quick in transition he is stuck. This is particularly so if he drifts forward a bit. Others great players may get the shaft in a similar place, but typically they took the club well inside on the BS and generally are across the line at the top. So even though they are in the same placeā€¦they are going in a different directionā€¦more left. JMO, of courseā€¦but we can all agree that the hook is a problem for him on Sunday.

Thongchai Jaidee Driver - youtube.com/watch?v=EsefTFM3d00

What do you all think? Seems a little steeper than what is espoused here, but I think what makes it work is that the club head is laid off coming into the ball. A foot before impact heā€™s what I feel is ā€œunderā€ the ball because of the position of his right elbow packed into his torso. His shoulders are a little closed a foot behind the ball and go to square at impact. He turns his forearms through impact and flips at it to get the clubface closed.

Lots of ways to get it done.

I think thatā€™s a pretty good swing. I donā€™t see it has a flip because he keeps his body turning through the shot pretty well.

This isnā€™t exactly a modern swing but if he was still alive he would be a modern champions tour player. I really like his swings on here from Olympic club especially the iron swings at 11:15 and 18:40, he had one of the most effective post impact pivot thrusts that ive seen. In the 4 iron swing at 11:15 his shoulders are pretty square at impact but just past p4 his torso is facing the target.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFmwlMST0gg[/youtube]

post impact - imgur.com/nwmNnLK

A modern swing I really like:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2V6aooebvI[/youtube]

and some words from Sir Nick that are right out of the ABS playbook:

tubechop.com/watch/2407104

Here is a nice little tidbit about Jim Furyk - on of the better examples of ABS on the modern tour. This was from his 2012 season when he challenged for the US Open.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DggveMCYlc[/youtube]

The swing at 1.18 is unbelievably good.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

I like this guys swing. He plays the European tour and heā€™s 43 in the world rankings. One of the youtube comments says heā€™s the best iron player in Europe but I have no idea, I would think he hits it very well though.

youtube.com/watch?v=E6J2U6dARr8

youtube.com/watch?v=EibEt4iOA_0

youtube.com/watch?v=23U-PG76UIY

Itā€™s hard to hit it too far offline when you do this.

furyk.jpg

furyk3.jpg

furyk4.jpg

Looks pretty nice. His shoulder turn looks more level than a lot of tour players these days.

What do you think of this swing, esp. how he keeps his right foot down for so long after the strike? Iā€™m guessing it would improve accuracy and give the torso a chance to work faster.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IteSWlx2_l0[/youtube]

Looks to me to be similar to using the mod 2 board drill in the normal swing. I think John cautions us about this because if the core is not strong enough you could hurt something.

Pure pull speed with time the line there, and actually with that sequence the torso is slowing down prior to impact instead of working quicker.

Good distance move though with raw speedā€¦ifā€™in you be young and donā€™t mind the occasional miss into Canada!

Yes and module three, and a great way to build ab/core strength. I am not recommending this in the full swing b/c as you said you could definitely hurt your lower back doing this. I wonder how Morgan came to swing this way? I think whatā€™s instructive about his swing is it shows you can keep the weight on the right side a lot longer through impact and youā€™ll get left soon enough. Tour swings today all look like ballerinas and I see power leaks with how the right and left feet work, pressure released too soon, standup, stall and massive arm throws.

I think it works at cross purposes. If you spend a lot of time in the gym building and strengthening muscles in a balanced, logical way (a good thing) and then go out and swing these lightweight, big-headed drivers, youā€™re going to overpower the gear. Doesnā€™t make sense.

ā€œYoungā€ being the operative word, you bet.

Hereā€™s my pick for the second week of April. Somewhere earlier on this site, I had picked TW, only to find out later someone must have hacked my account and written that prediction.

No, this is my pick and I should have picked him before. If it rains maybe his putter calms down a bit and he makes some of the short ones he missed in Florida. I see something in his release that makes sense to me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfxe4cjihVM[/youtube]

Kuchar just hit every green in regulation.

chron.com/sports/golf/articl ā€¦ 373843.php

Weird how itā€™s just put in the middle of a compound sentence as an afterthought.