Vintage Shafts

Hey all…first post…hopefully in the right forum…I have a set of Hogan Apex PC’s with Apex 4 shafts…the trajectory is higher than I thought it was going to be…that’s not saying anything as I am new to vintage gear…I was hoping someone could tell me more about the shafts - are they stiff? difference of the Apex 3? etc…what’s the best shaft for a lower, boring flight?..also, would like to thank everyone here at ABS - I truly feel that I’ve finally found the proper discipline to help me figure out this great game…cheers…Scot

The Hogan Apex shafts were made by Precision shaft company, not True Temper. A very good shaft. The 4 shaft was more the standard stiff shaft most good players would play if they had Hogan irons. The 3 shaft is a regular or loose shaft. The best shaft they made was the 5 shaft or X shaft. I say that from more of a hitters perspective. If your goal is to hold shaft flex to the ball, then a stiffer shaft is desirable in the event you don’t hold shaft flex, you have the shaft itself to help stabilize the clubhead through impact, not kick forward and do strange things to the golf ball… and a stiff shaft also aids in stabilizing off centered hits.

My personal preference are the vintage thicker walled shafts. They are heavier and give better feel and feedback from the shot. With irons, I certainly am not interested in a shaft that is designed only to hit the ball longer… graphite etc… I want consistency, feel, reliability, accuracy. I don’t want a jumpy shaft that sends the ball over greens on occasion. I am not interested in hitting a wedge 150 yards.

My favorite shafts are the ProPel #1… which you most often find in MacGregor irons from the 50’s and 60’s. I like the green band Rocket Shafts which are very firm and heavy with great feel. Hogan played them early on as did many other great players. The Rockets you will most often find in early 50’s Wilson Dyna’s and Spalding releases from that era. Great shafts that still play wonderful today.

Wood shafts are typically a different design. Much thinner at the tips to fit into the persimmon heads and structurally much looser when stress tested. Most good players would tip their shafts or cut a few inches off them at the bottom to stiffen them up… then put in an extender on the grip end to get back to proper length.

Hogan had Precision make a wood shaft that played more like an iron shaft but lighter. That was the Apex 5 shaft. They are very hard to find, but are one of the bests driver or wood shafts ever made in steel…even to this day.

Overall, I suggest getting your gear set up for accuracy, and get your distance by improving technique and strength… not the other way around.