USGA on Twitter

Hey everyone,

I’m new to the community, but I love browsing the forums. The information here is second to none!

Anyway, I recently noticed that the USGA has a Twitter account. While I’m sure they don’t pay much attention to it, I wondered if they might have to if a whole bunch of us started tweeting them to limit the golf ball and put tighter standards on equipment.

I think if enough people get on their case, they’re bound to notice.

What do you think?

Most likely its some PR company tweeting for them who are only interested in building the ‘brand’

I’m game anyway… @craigtoone

You’re probably right, Craig, but still. I have to believe that if enough of us gave 'em a good enough hassle, it’d draw some attention. Maybe tweet the guys on ‘Morning Drive’ too… just get people talking about it again.

Thanks for getting in on the action haha :smiley:.

Who else is up to the task??

Lag? Help us out here? :wink:

It’s a great idea…
I won’t shut up until the great game returns to some kind of sanity.

I’m doing an interview for a British Golf Magazine in a couple weeks… and I will continue to drive home the key points about professionals being the role models for the game…

That the pros need to be tested with all their clubs not just drivers and mid to short irons.

To preserve the historical relevance of the game, the clubs used must be similar in design… and that the radical departure into frying pan sized drivers belittles the efforts of past great players and trivializes the sport.

That spin on the ball is a good thing for shaping shots. Balata balls were better with the higher spin rates for good players to help them access tucked pins, and that quality players should be thinking both trajectory and shot shape… and what direction the ball is going to spin when it hits the green.

That golf courses need to be harmonious with the gear being used.

That rough is supposed to be a penalty and that a premium must return to driving accuracy. The idea that pros can win a tour event hitting less that 50% of their fairways should not be commonplace if ever happening.

That courses do not need to be 7400 yards to be championship.

That the shape and design of a green should be consistent with the trajectory of the approaches shots, and that average pros and good amateur players should be coming into a few par 4’s with lower trajectory iron shots to have that skill set tested properly.

That the golf swing in general has deteriorated over the decades due to a lack of necessity for proper ball striking.

That courses do not have to be in perfect condition to host championships, compete and enjoy, and that there is a skill set in playing off a variety of lies and putting on greens of various speeds.

Sidehill lies from the fairway are interesting and require a skill set not only played from the fairway but also should be considered from the tee shot.

Homogeneous treatment of golf course conditioning is not making the game more interesting. That American golf course restoration businesses are not understanding that by viewing aerial photos of golf courses designed 75+ years ago were not all intended to be treeless park courses. THEY PLANTED TREES! that don’t always show up on those photos.

Looking forwards to picking up a copy Lag. Funnily enough I haven’t bought a golf mag in years. But I was stuck in the supermarket yesterday with 10 minutes to kill so read the mag at the stall… Can’t remember which title, but there is a good interview with the big easy Els who talks about how much the game has changed in the past 18 years & that average guys now have more chance thanks to technology. There are no longer any stand out ballstrikers in the form of a Norman or early Tiger

I enjoy playing golf as much as ever. I pick and choose quality persimmon tracks that interest me to play, and of course I use gear that is in harmony with the architecture and enjoy keeping historical perspective. It feels good to know the score I shoot actually can be compared to any rounds played there from any era. While today’s gear has been deemed legal by the authorities of the game, it would not be legal in the bigger picture and any scores shot today by amateurs or pros using modern gear are only relevant in context to the most recent era since about 1998. In my opinion, there should be two sets of records kept since the introduction of steel shafts. Balata age, then post Balata titanium frying pan era.

I have no problem with people choosing the version of golf they wish to play… or competitions set up for various gear and courses. But to disregard the persimmon and blade era and make comparisons of this era to the accomplishments of those of the past is disrespectful and incorrect. The US Open record of 8 under established by Hogan and Nicklaus played with persimmon and balata still stands… meaning played with persimmon and balata under proper US Open conditions. Rory’s record is fine but should be noted for being in the frying pan plastic golf ball era. It’s pretty simple really. Could probably just draw the divider at 1998. Personally I would spit it at about 1992.

I can’t agree with you more about the records, Lag. It’s really shameful when you hear so-called “pundits” go on and on about how incredible something/someone is (take your example of Rory at Congressional) when they have lost any kind of perspective. It pains me to see these players miss shot after shot after shot from < 150 yards and yet be called professionals. Truly, did Hogan, Snead or Trevino miss their 9 irons 40 yards left/right regularly? No, but you can’t say that about Lee Westwood or Greame McDowell…

And don’t get me started on the irons haha. I’m in a state of perpetual shock that these players game giant, GI, cavity back irons. It’s just ridiculous. I don’t mind average Joe having a set, but the top players in the world? Come on.

USGA, how much worse can this organization get?

Ha, just wait. A lot worse would be no surprise

The S in USGA should be a dollar sign $$$$