US Open 2012

LCD,

The course is traditional in that it is a lay of the land course… across an existing slope with small well bunkered greens and a premium upon proper tee shot placement to access the approach shot. Obviously you can’t just tee it up and swing as hard as you want and play the “I’ll find it with a decent lie in the rough and wedge to the green percentages”.

While Olympic has it’s own unique characteristics, it is very much an old school traditional California golf course. Narrow, tree lined, small greens, undulating fairways, premium on accuracy and placement.

Fast firm greens… not the fastest or firmest, but respectable. Some rough… better than little or non. It certainly is playing more like a US Open than the last couple of years.

I hope we see some great golf this weekend. Tiger is clearly playing better but too many missed short iron shots are costing him from walking away from the field. It certainly makes the game more interesting to watch with him playing well again.

I still miss seeing long iron play into par 4’s in a US Open. I think critical to a proper test of a golfers abilities.

Should be an exciting weekend.

Lag,

Is it not ironic that Jim Furyk is at the top of the leaderboard, since he does have some prominent ABS qualities, and they are playing a course that has a premium on accuracy?

It was funny to hear Bubba Watson say “this course is just too hard for me” even before he started playing the tournament.

acatucci

My two biggest surprises for the weekend so far after two rounds?

1)Luke Donald MISSING the cut. I though for SURE he’d be around come the weekend. He is not known as a long hitter but more an accuracy/grinder type. I think his putter let him down more than his ball striking though. But whatever.

2)A PRO PGA player PUBLICLY saying a course is too hard for him! That is just sick. So it doesn’t allow you to hit your pink driver off the deck to putting for eagle on a Par5? I thought you were “Mr Shot Shaper” Bubba? This course should suit you well. You are so long leave Driver in the hotel and just use irons like your playing partner who is in the lead then shot shape into green. Lol. HARD FOR REST of the world! Not for a Pro. At the very least don’t admit that publicly. I also have read some fan reports Bubba can be a d*ck during a round too. Attitude to other players, mouthy, complains constantly. I was slowly becoming a fan of his as he appears cool in media/public, but that is declining fast. I almost wish Louis would have won the Masters.

Also, Tiger is a few approach shot misses away (some were long irons) from lapping the field in this one. He missed a 4ft putt once too. Tiger could EASILY be 4-5 under right now! And this event would have been over by Saturday as it would be almost impossible to go real low to catch him. Tiger wins this by 4 strokes though instead of 9…

One amazing thing was the first round leader shooting 66 hitting only 8 greens and 22 putts. I thought only Scott Verplank could do that. I don’t care if you hit zero greens and have easy chips from the front edge. 22 putts on those greens is some incredible stuff. Hard to putt like that two days in a row… and of course it caught up with him.

A 17 year old leading the event at one point was pretty amazing also. I think back to when I was 17 and I would have been happy to be in the US Am let alone the US Open. But I do think that the dumbing down of the game opens things up for something like this to happen more often. We are certainly seeing more of this on the LPGA. His steep swing saw him long and left a few more times than he should have been. It’s just too tempting to come a bit OTT under pressure in an attempt to make what seems a safer contact.

While the attention is on Tiger, I think Furyk has the right kind of game for this course. He hits it straight and manages his game well. He also has a very good golf swing if you know what to look for. Putting will make or break him.

Man, there are some [size=200]BIG[/size] size trees out there. :open_mouth:

They have removed hundreds of trees. It used to be much tighter off the tee… thick trees coming down near the ground… and you were DEAD if you were in them.

Thick trees, tight fairways, thick rough… a high spinning ball… smaller headed clubs, and a putter not a broomstick all go against the USGA mantra… “let’s find a way to make golf more enjoyable for the masses”

My mantra would be “find enjoyment in learning to hit the ball where you are aiming”.

If we look at the short par 4 hole #7. It’s just under 300 yards… maybe this week around 288.

Here is the problem. The hole is designed to offer a risk reward situation for the longer hitter. In the persimmon age, the really long hitters could “go for it”… with a small opening up the left side of the green to sneak one through or roll one up through the slot. That is how the hole was designed to temp. If you pull it off… you are rewarded. Otherwise you lay back and play the safe shot… which should still give you a nice shot at birdie with a decent wedge shot.

But now the hole plays like a long par 3. The guys now are often hitting a 3 wood and carrying that all the way to the green.
The opening that guys used to use to run one through is now pointless. The intention of the hole is destroyed by the modern gear and ball.

It still has a challenging element… but not the proper intention of the hole. There used to be a lot of 240 yard par 3’s on the old classic tracks that would require you to hit a 3 wood approach. So this is no different… but the green is not really designed to accept that shot. The play now is just hit it into a green side bunker and get up and down.

In the old days… bunkers were actually hazards. They were not preferred to being in the rough. They were not manicured as well, and offered any number of textures and unwanted situations in them.

So in the old days… if you saw a pro pull driver… it really was a dramatic situation… where as now… it’s just standard fair.
Miss the green, no big deal.

#1 they are playing as a par 4 because the first tee backs up against the pro shop. It’s designed as a par 5, both off the tee and the green for a short 3rd approach shot. The green is not designed to accept a long iron shot. I have seen a lot of nice irons coming into that green that are not being properly rewarded. It’s not set up correctly. Different yes… but not as a great course would be designed. It should be a par 5. A nice fairly relaxed opening hole to start your round off. I don’t think any course should be throwing the hardest hole on the course at you right out of the parking lot.

So here is the card played as it should. There are 11 four pars which should require four long iron approach shots.
That means 2/3/4 iron. There should be four mid iron approach shots meaning 5/6/7 iron. Then there are three
short iron approach shots 8/9/W.

The reason I suggest #2 was a long iron is because even at just under 400, the tee shot is straight up the hill, so it would easily take off 20 yards, and the second shot is going to play at least two clubs longer. So 250 would be 230… leaving about 170, add two clubs and it plays 190 which in the balata era was a 3 or 4 iron for most guys.

The par threes should be one long, one short and two mid irons.

The three par 5’s should require the use of hitting fairway woods. Two risk and reward holes and one absolute 3 shot hole.

What made this course great was the tightness off the tee. Having to play these approach shots into the greens off sidehill lies into greens that were designed and bunkered for the trajectory and shape of those shots.

The tee shots require a shape to them… not just to work around the doglegs but to angle against the lay of the land so you can keep your ball in the fairway.

Olympic is not about all the possible options of how to play the hole… it tells you specifically what you have to do.
This is the shot you have to hit… can you do it? Do you have the skill set to pull this off? Are you a great player or shot maker?

Why are the scores so high?

I just don’t think the modern players are all that good with the ball striking.

Hogan would put on a clinic for these guys even if he were playing today’s course conditions, length etc… even with persimmon and balata. I don’t see any reason he would not go out there and hit 14 or 15 greens or better… even with archaic gear. The weather is perfect and not much if any wind.

I enjoyed watching Furyk hit quality shots yesterday. I wonder when Tiger will go back to a heavier driver with a steel shaft? It is painful to watch him try and hit a fairway with his current driver. :confused:

i’ve wondered that too…for years…surely nike could could make something for him that played more like his titleist 975…
Tiger.jpg

Furyk has not been as laser like as I have seen him… but his misses are just not that bad, and I credit that to his good technique through impact. I hope he puts on a real clinic today with accurate ball striking.

Furyk has been up and down 6 out of 7 times from the greenside bunkers. Of course it is to his credit skill wise, but it is also a credit to the manicuring of both the sand and the putting surfaces. It’s just not that big a penalty to be in the sand. Better to be in the sand than in deep greenside rough.

What is penalizing the guys this week is the fairway rough. I’m not seeing them make birdies from the rough like the last couple US Opens. It’s nice to see them set it up more traditionally this way. There was no real rough at Congressional, Pebble or Bethpage. Still not like they had it at the Canadian Open last year.

Given the overall poor driving of the modern players, they have done a decent job setting the course up to keep it interesting.
If the rough was as high as some US Opens in the past, it might be another controversial Winged Foot scenario.

Looking Back…Billy Casper Wins 1966 U.S. Open At The Olympic Club

By David Shefter

Some people view the 1966 U.S. Open at The Olympic Club as a complete collapse by Arnold Palmer.

ap.jpg

Palmer, after all, had the championship all but sealed with nine holes to play. He led Billy Casper by seven strokes and the storyline immediately shifted to whether the native Pennsylvanian could better Ben Hogan’s 72-hole Open scoring record of 276 set in 1948 at Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif. Palmer had opened the final round with a solid 32 on Olympic’s first nine, but as fate would have it, the inward nine would prove to be The King’s Waterloo.

Casper, then 34, was no stranger to U.S. Open pressure. The California native had won the championship seven years earlier over the challenging layout of Winged Foot Golf Club’s West Course with a brilliant display of putting on some of the game’s toughest greens.

image.jpg

Yet history was not on Casper’s side. Nobody had ever overcome a seven-shot deficit with nine to play. In 1960 at Cherry Hills Country Club in suburban Denver, Palmer trailed 54-hole leader Mike Souchak by from seven strokes before shooting a final-round 65 to win by two shots over amateur Jack Nicklaus.

But that was over 18 holes, not nine.

Palmer started unraveling when he began the second nine with a bogey at the par-4 10th. He would add another bogey at par-3 13th hole. Still, Palmer needed only to play even-par golf the last five holes to secure the win.

The turning point came at the par-3 15th. Casper faced a long, left-to-right breaking birdie putt that he managed to convert for a 2. Palmer made a bogey and suddenly his lead was trimmed to three.

“I never thought I could win until I birdied the 15th hole, even though I was three shots behind with three holes to play,” said Casper. “It’s the only time I felt I could catch him.”

Two more strokes were trimmed at the dogleg-left par-5 16th hole, and Casper finally caught Palmer with a par at the uphill par-4 17th hole after Palmer recorded yet another bogey. Two pars at the closing hole left both combatants tied at 2-under-par 278, the second-lowest 72-hole total ever registered in a U.S. Open, and facing an 18-hole playoff on Monday.

The playoff began just like the final round, with Palmer getting off to a sizzling start, posting a 2-under 33 to Casper’s 35. This time, the par-4 11th hole would prove to be the pivotal turning point. Casper registered a birdie-3 to Palmer’s 5. It was the start of a bogey spree for Palmer, who would eventually shoot a 3-over 73 to Casper’s 1-under 69.

“I beat him pretty solidly on the back nine,” said Casper, who outscored Palmer on that side over the final two days, 66-79. “Coming back … to top Arnold in 1966 … I would say is something to remember.”

Palmer challenged the following year for one more U.S. Open title at Baltusrol Golf Club in Springfield, N.J., but his longtime rival Jack Nicklaus would get the best of him in the final round, shooting a 5-under 65 to break Hogan’s championship scoring record by one stroke. Palmer finished four shots off the pace for his third runner-up showing at the Open. Nicklaus had also edged Palmer in an 18-hole playoff for the 1962 Open at Oakmont (Pa.) Country Club.

Meanwhile, Casper did claim the 1970 Masters for his third and final major championship.

But in 1966, The Olympic Club proved once again to be an omen for the frontrunner. Eleven years earlier, unheralded Jack Fleck caught Hogan with a 72nd-hole birdie. He would then shock Hogan in an 18-hole playoff the next day. Now it was Palmer’s turn to be caught over the final nine holes. When the Open returned to Olympic in 1987, frontrunner Tom Watson succumbed to the less-heralded Scott Simpson. Similar circumstances would fell Payne Stewart 11 years later against Lee Janzen.

One other interesting footnote emerged from that 1966 Open. Johnny Miller, than just a 19-year-old amateur and two years removed from his U.S. Junior Amateur triumph, earned low-amateur honors at his home club. Miller, who posted 290 to share eighth place, was a junior member at Olympic Club and his play that week would portend future success. Seven years later, he posted a final-round 63 at Oakmont C.C. to win his only Open title.

I’m disappointed.

I want to see good golf. I want to be impressed, and want to be inspired.

NO, NO, NO.

That was just horrible.

I don’t believe that the modern lightweight drivers can be mastered. If this isn’t proof I don’t know what is. Here we have the best modern players in the world gathered on a golf course that requires straight tee shots.

McDowell missed 9 fairways in a row… right to the clubhouse. I wish the rough was a lot longer because he should not have been anywhere near the lead in a US Open driving the ball that poorly. Furyk I knew was not having a good ball striking week, and it showed. Under pressure these lightweight long upright drivers don’t work. Not on a real golf course.

Is it really that hard to just get the ball into the fairway? Is is really that hard to hit the green with a wedge if you play pro golf everyday of your life?

I am glad I don’t play that junk… I am glad I don’t teach a pivot stall hand throw golf swing to students.

If anyone was impressed… good for you…

Olympic is a tough but fair course. It is not the Impossible Open. Hit the ball into the faiway, hit the ball onto the green.
How many tour players couldn’t beat a high school kid with braces on his teeth this week? He could have won the event if he could have found a few more fairways. I wish he would have.

Someone has to win and someone did.

Phil, Bubba, Tiger, can’t play that wild golf off the tee and get away with it.

Will we ever see quality tee to green ball striking again in the modern age? I am beginning to doubt it.
There are students on this site that could have struck the ball better than what we saw from the worlds best today.
I know I could have.

A little league baseball or kids soccer game is entertaining… there is competition and they are feeling something is on the line. But what makes great athletic spectacle is viewing mastery of the art form at the highest level attainable.

If I had played in that event and earned a check over $10,000, I would walk though the parking lot and find as many patrons as I could and just ask them how much money they wasted on their ticket, and I would write them refund checks until I ran out of checks in my checkbook. I really would… because the USGA would never do that… and in this age of entitlement, the players wouldn’t either.

I am very disappointed… yes.

You forgot to mention the long/belly putter.

Lag and Two,

Maybe next year is the year to qualify for the US Open!

Not sure I have the latest info, but I think Merion maxes out at or just under 7,000 yards???

If the two of you qualified and used your persimmons and blades???

Lag, I couldnt watch the final round Down Under as its Monday here and some of us work lol. I gather from your decription that there is no need to rush home and watch the replay.

I kept a look out on the net, and saw Tiger shooting heaps, thought maybe blowing a gale or something. But a quick check on USA todays weather forecast showed no wind of any note in San Fran. So I guess it was just poor ball striking frrom Tiger. He sure must be getting frustrated. I watched him at Memorial, looked good. I watched him early in this event, i was impressed, but the weekend, wow what a diference. His search continues i guess

Steve

After watching that debacle of an event… I do regret not going to the Q this year. I did send in my entry to give it a go… but other things came up in life and it just didn’t make sense for me to take 3 days off and drive down south to the first stage and have a go at it for a one round crap shoot. Traveling and playing competitive golf is something you really have to commit to.
I really have not found a place in my head for part time competition other than something that I really believe in such as TRGA.

I’m not all that interested in being some kind of traditionalist martyr who shows up at frying pan events with 50’s gear and showing the young kids how it is done. I can do that just playing golf at any course… anyone I play with.

I would prefer to play persimmon in persimmon competitions on real golf courses like Olympic and others where golf is about golfing your ball around a piece of property where the land shaping has been kept to a minimum. This really shows how the target golf stadium courses where every shot is off a flat lie has failed to improve pro players. These guys can’t find a fairway if there is a real threat of rough. They can’t hit good irons from sidehill lies, and if a bit of wind comes up combined with a sidehill lie, they are missing greens with wedge shots. The players look disoriented. Like they can’t wait to get the hell out of there and go back to shooting 20 under on some driving range course.

Our current so called Master’s Champion says… “this course is just too hard for me”. I hope this is a wake up call for someone.

The golf swings are crap. The ball and gear is crap, the ball striking is crap.

So the low round of the tournament was a 66 by Thompson? 22 putts hitting only 8 GIR. That is how you shoot 66 on a course like this? Hit 8 greens? I would bet I could go out there tomorrow and hit 8 greens with set of hickories. But 22 putts? If you just placed the ball on the fringe of the greens at random hitting zero greens and just chipping from the fringes 18 times… 22 putts would still be excellent. I can’t understand those kind of putting numbers I don’t care how good the greens are. I want no part of that.

People, especially the old timers need to start speaking out. Not just the former tour pros, but the fans that saw proper golf played.

When asked "what is the biggest issue the game of golf is facing today? The director of the USGA says “we need to make the game more enjoyable?”

That is a sad statement.

Steve,

It was entertaining, if not somewhat dramatic… but no more entertaining or dramatic than watching a high school version of “Hamlet” or watching them pull the ping pong balls with numbers on them from the 10 million dollar lottery air popper. So sure it is exciting in that basic sense. Watch it with “game show” excitement.

Do people really not know what good golf is anymore?

Olympic made these guys look bad. All of them… great weather… very little wind… no excuses. Just bad swings, hitting crooked shots with poorly designed gear.

Golf is in a very sad state.

When I was a kid… they would grow rough deeper than what we saw at Olympic this week for our club championship of which my dad won 6 of them… all with persimmon and blades. Stan Thompson irons and woods. I would caddy for him and he hit the ball straight. He would hit fairways and greens and just wait for his opponent to make mistakes… and just wear them down with solid golf and ball striking. There were plenty of guys who drove it longer… but they were punished when they were off the fairway. That is how I grew up learning golf. Watching David Graham hit every fairway and green on Sunday when he won the US Open. When I played with David Graham on the Australian Tour years later when I grew up, he still hit it straight. The precision was still there and the concern for playing proper golf. It was inspiring. Nicklaus meticulously dissected Open courses like a surgeon. Jack inspired all of us.

Well, I must say I enjoyed this tournament more than most lately. Winning score in this U.S. Open was +1. That was great. Back to a somewhat “real” Open. The course held up well and even showed some teeth with perfect temps and no real wind. I do agree that some of the holes were just odd because the greens weren’t set up to receive the shots that were coming in but not shocked. When you change the par of a hole by moving up the tees or moving them back, but don’t change to green to reflect it, you get some of what we saw.

As for the players, once the pressure was on, they folded like cheap suits. Wow that hook by Furyk!!! Then the easy misses with wedges by both of them several times and GMac needing a seeing eye dog to find a fairway. I was hoping that having two of the better ballstrikers going into the last round in the lead was going to show people that fairways and greens do matter, but as usual it was the guy with the hottest putter whether it was attached to his body or not. The greens were rolling true and not that fast (for an Open). Of course when you replace the greens with bentgrass instead of the poa that had been there forever, you get the PGA style greens where they can go low. 22 putts indeed!!!

Tiger? Ouch. Well, enough said on that.

Most of the players that missed the cut, like Bubba and Rory, just couldn’t handle having to hit fairways or maybe they couldn’t handle giving up the titanium baby bottle that they are so addicted to and actually have to play the hole as opposed to overpower it. Oh, well, no biggy. There are another 40-50 tournaments a year that pay at least a million bucks to win that are set up the way the pros like it to go -15 or more.

I guess this U.S. Open really said a lot about the current PGA players current level of ballstriking. Put them on a tough course and the men get separated from the boys, although you gotta hand it to Hossler. He did make things interesting from the amateur point of view.

Will the PGA/USGA learn anything from this? Hopefully, but I get the feeling a lot of crying by the pros will have them make it “not too tough” next time. It makes them look bad. Remember, “These guys are good. TM (But not that good)”.