TwoMasters off to good start...keep it up Bradley

Nice to see the man getting a bit of local coverage at last…

theaustralian.com.au/news/sp … 5968555271

There is a good lesson here for us all to learn. Each week is a new week, and one week can change a lot of things, such as confidence, and a pros bank account… and really just a bit more enjoyment.

Regardless of what happens on the weekend… it’s simply a lot of fun to be in position to strike. Bradley is in a nice spot to go have some fun, and enjoy the opportunity to play some top notch golf. A decent round and a hot round is going to put him right in the thick of the Sunday action. Two hot rounds and he could easily win the tournament :sunglasses:

Good stuff, and I know it’s fun for everyone at ABS to have someone to root for and support… as Bradley has been so supportive to us all here.

Been following Two the last couple days and rooting hard for him. I admire his commitment and level of talent and to know that he’s here at ABS helping us understand and improve our golf swings and game. Really quite impressive and no other teaching site out there has this level of sophistication, knowledge and dedication to real improvement.

Good luck on the weekend, Two, and make a run at it!

Rod,
Amen to that, and thank you for posting this article for us.
Best,
1teebox

Looks like Brad must have been requested to appear in the press tent after the first round. Just found this article as well and given the quotes are pretty much the same as the first one I can only assume it was a press conference which is good sign. It will be good for Brad mentally, too, because it’s where he used to be regularly and will only add to the feeling of being “back” into tournament golf properly and all the stuff that goes with playing well.
On a final note…after we saw the three putt on 11 in yesterday’s coverage it was great to see a bit of temper, tossing the ball straight into the water after picking it out of he cup…You only do that stuff if you’re serious. No offence Brad but I think I like you best when you’re a bit cranky :smiley:

smh.com.au/sport/golf/hughes … 18rhg.html

I’m glad I held off on my Hughes/Senior pairing hope for the weekend, as I would’ve felt guilty for jinxing it… but there’s still sunday- that would be pretty damn cool, all things considered.

It’s a brutal game when it gets away from you out there. Sometimes there’s nothing else to say about it.

Bradley has made enough cuts in his life, getting in the hunt on Sunday is where the fun is at. Like he said, Saturday is moving day, and he wanted to shoot a good round to get into the last three Sunday pairings. If you get off to a rough start, you tend to take a few chances to make something happen. There is a gambling element to that, and sometimes you can pull it off, and sometimes that works against you. If things feel a little off, it makes it harder to pull off and things can do sideways… so be it.

The one thing I liked about pro golf more than college golf was that the rewards for finishing near the top are so much more than the award for “lowest stroke average”. In college, my coach would base the starting lineup on all these crazy mathematical algorithms, moving averages, mean, mode, bell curves as if it was statistics 101. There were guys that would shoot between 72 and 75 almost everyday, and have these qualifying stroke averages that would guarantee them a spot in the line up. Then you would have the guy who shoots 71 65 69 66 one week… then shoot 78 75 85 80 the next week, and he couldn’t get back in the lineup for two months because of the moving average garbage.

Personally I completely despise the whole stroke average thing, or being rewarded for consistency. In pro golf, all that goes out the window. What you want is to be able to get HOT… and on top of that, you want to KNOW HOW TO WIN!

What you don’t want to have in this game is a comfort zone. The guy that gets nervous who gets it 5 under, is also the guy that starts losing his mind when he is 5 over. Most of the guys I have seen that can get red hot, can also shoot sky high at times. There is a certain attitude that goes along with it… and it’s a winners attitude.

There is a college player I have been working with a bit, and I talked to him about this. The point I was hammering home was “Don’t fear shooting low, and don’t fear shooting high”. You’ll do better in the long run in golf if you can cultivate this attitude. I think Daly is a really good example of this. I don’t think he plays with any fear. We see him shoot high a lot. But everyone knows that when he gets something going, he’s like a different player. I don’t think John ever won any stroke average awards, but he has some nice big trophies on the mantle. People know when he is playing good, anything can happen and it does. He’s a fun player to watch and keeps the game exciting. Palmer was a bit like that too.

I’m by no means suggesting it’s fun playing bad… we all hate it by our competitive nature… but the great players don’t fear it. They don’t fear shooting high, and they don’t fear shooting low.

Excellent post.
I had a similar happening yesterday though on a far smaller scale. I recently met a member of Sherwood CC while playing a round, and he invited out there yesterday. I was excited to play a championship course in good shape as it’s been a while. My game is good so I was all up for seeing how my shots compared to the guys last week. It didn’t go as planned, unfortunately. He insisted that we play off the forward tees which just always throws me off because I just don’t know what to do up there, in a way it’s harder when it’s shorter. The greens were lightening fast and when I’ve played over the last year or so, it’s essentially been muni golf. I hit into 10 feet on the first, a par 4, and hit it about 5 feet past and missed it coming back. I knocked it on the second in 2 which is a par 5 and left it 8 feet short from about 25 feet over a ridge, and missed that. It went along like that for a while and I took a chance with a driver on a par 5 with a 15 yard landing area because the tees were so far up, and had no chance. I think I ended up making a 9. All the while this guy is keeping score and telling me where all the trouble is on every tee shot :unamused: I don’t know if anyone has ever had that kind of 'know it all ‘help’ while playing, but it’s really not good for the thoughts. Not to mention the ‘fore caddy’ yabbering on about 10 different things about a shot I’m trying to hit. And we were playing in carts.
Anyway, I don’t want to hijack the thread, but like you say, I ended up taking a roll on a few tee shots with no landing area and it got messy. It was very frustrating all round. Thanks for listening, I really needed to vent :blush:

I’ve heard lag discuss this before, but I don’t think I can hear it enough. Although I know better I’m definitely “Mr. Comfort Zone” much of the time.

Rotella might write an entire book on this concept…Lag can sum it up in a few sentences.

robbo

Bom - I know the feeling.

The few rounds that I play purely for “fun” (no real bets, not an official tournament, etc) I’ll keep a rough scorecard in my head. I love the guys that are filling out the scorecard in those rounds as if it were a major and at the end of the day they equate success or failure by the total number on card. :unamused:

Exactly! And on a really tough course that you’ve never seen before. Funny.

The same people who say ‘great shot’ when you know you’ve just toed it onto the green and loudly announce their equaling hole score after an up and down?

Steb,

You’ve got it.

The same ones that announce you’ve made a putt when it’s still a few feet from the hole (and invariably those putts just miss). In my crowd we politely (or maybe not so politely) tell those guys to “keep your mouth off my ball”. :slight_smile:

I’ve got a bit of a reputation as one who doesn’t like others “talking to my ball” on full shots. They never really know how I hit it or what I want it to do and it’s maddening when they start telling an approach shot to “get up” when I know it’s right or even worse, when I know it needs to “get down”.

It’s one of my real character flaws. :blush:

My character flaw then must be that I prefer to play with people with character flaws.

Rain forces halt to Australian PGA‎ - When play was suspended, 51-year-old Peter Senior was leading at 12 under, one shot clear of fellow veteran Peter Fowler and American Bobby Gates theaustralian.com.au/news/sp … 5969709469

Leaderboard: championship.pga.org.au/scores?u … 010-Scores

Pete Senior birdies last hole - playoff between Senior and Geoff Ogilvy for the Kirkwood Cup!

Pete Senior has won the Australian PGA Championship…21 years after his first and his 3rd! Senior now overtakes Kel Nagle as the oldest PGA Tour of Australasia winner. Interestingly its Kel Nagle’s Birthday today. Congrats Peter Senior!!!

The sign of a good egg.