Training aid suggestion

Wanted to briefly say I found a really useful training aid to help with ABS protocols. The Gem aid is by far the best one I’ve found. Controlling the “wobble” really produces a proper slotted 430 motion. By applying speed at the right areas; and controlling the weighted aid applied that hangs from the grip. Check it out

Checked it out, and at a minimum would align with what Mr. Wonderful might say: well, if it can’t be used when hitting a ball, I’m out. :shark:

1 Like

Interesting training aid, I’d never heard of it. Even if I don’t use it, the concept of what the inventor is talking about (i.e. gravitational and inertial torque around the shaft axis) is a interesting concept. I’ll have a look into that concept when I’m practicing and see what it might mean in terms of executing my ABS swing… thx for pointing it out.

I can see there’s a fair amount of chatter ( positive, neutral and negative) about this training aid out in the social media space. Regardless of one’s opinion, it’s an interesting idea.

2 Likes


Well, Al far this training aid has been working.Feel like I “unweight” the club when actually hitting a ball now

Stinks that I don’t have my long putter back which is getting rebuilt like new. Using a standard putter which I haven’t really tinkered with since the late 1980’s. So on the greens I’ve been on the defense. But hitting a bunch of greens and fairways using my advanced ball striking protocols. And Gem warm up for about 2 mins before each round. When I’m on , I really feel like I have good control of the clubhead. Thinking the gem setups me up for a smooth tempo letting the motion happen that I trained by having no to little wobble. Wish you could hit golf balls with it as Range Rat said. But if it seems to set me up wit a good rhythm for the whole round. Boy I miss my putter… been 4 weeks. But I was assured it will look like the day I bought it

1 Like

And I started hovering the club with all my shots. Emulating the gem feel as I’ve been doing it with air swings before a round or practice session

I’ve had it for a while. And tried to always decipher why it was working or not. Now, I just went to the basics and use it as a good rhythm feel to maintain before hand. It is odd how it kinda forces you to slot the club naturally just by swinging it and avoiding the wobble feeling

One thing im noticing is my face is more open at the strike now. But not as open to the right as the path. When I have an open face it is draw after draw. When the face is closed to the path it’s a pull of some sort. Never knew an open face at impact would be a draw. But in reality it is closed to the clubpath

Looks to me like your face angle to swing path is closed by 2.7 degrees. 6.5 in to out path les 3.8 degrees face angle open to target. Resulting ball flight is a push draw. If your consistent with it you could learn to aim a couple degrees left and be dead on.

Have a question about ‘numbers’ in general, not about Slinger’s data readings.

I’ve never understood rate of face closure degrees mentioned during the impact interval when I see it mentioned here, there, and everywhere. It typically gets into the thousands of degrees per second- I think the range is like 500 degrees of closure per second for pros and 2000 degrees of closure for ammys. Is that extrapolated somehow, it can’t be a direct reading can it. How are those large numbers determined, what in hell are they looking at?

Thanks, and I’m almost certain I’ll have a follow up question.

1 Like

Above my rank on that question too. I will await an answer as well and I too will likely have follow ups.

2 Likes

Discovered a good training aid.

When my swing starts becoming pear shaped it’s a good sign of a little too much lateral leaking along with the strike and getting a touch ahead for any number of reasons, like late in season; laziness; aging, trying to become a long-drive bum, etc.

The last few times playing there was some leakage but not much, but enough to notice a little out of balance weakness to the strike. I haven’t played in a while and haven’t practiced for a week or so.

Last week had surgery to the lead foot for ingrown rat nail that came up suddenly and today was first day back in the range saddle to see how the foot shakes out with the toe still bandaged.

I was a little leery going full at the ball and getting too much pressure out on the end of that foot so I made sure to rotate hard inside the back of ball while getting more toward the heel.

Flush!! one after another…

I love when moments like that happen so we can become aware of more than just what’s in front of us. Next time lateral becomes an awareness issue I have something concrete to tie back too.

So, anyone needing an aid to avoid employing too much lateral book a lesson with a podiatrist. :grinning_face:

2 Likes

This thread is all over. Which is kinda fun. Hahah

Kinda messing with this launch monitor. Not setup for my elevation correctly yet. And not a fan of hitting off mats. But showing that an open face will give a nice draw. Not as open as an in to out path. Kinda cool stuff. And ball with even a smidge of closed face will be left. Fun to mess around with

Face was closed to target. Had to think what to do. And corrected with more open face. Than a good one. That closed face to target is a killer