Tips on Persimmon wood refinishing

As it gets increasingly harder to find craftsmen that are skilled and knowledgeable in the art of persimmon wood refinishing and repair, i figured we could use a thread to combine all the knowledge we ourselves have on this subject. That way we could share tips, do’s and don’ts, et cetera.

Here’s a pdf of instructions on how to re-whip your woods.

:blush: i see i can’t attach a pdf file. I’ll turn the pdf file into a picture this evening and post it.

I’ll also throw in a question.

I’ve read that the Wood Brothers used to store the persimmon blocks they would make their woods from in boiled lineseed oil for a couple of months or even years. Would it be beneficial to the strength of the wood to do something similar to older persimmon woods when refinishing? i.e. when stripped, keep the heads in boiled lineseed oil for a couple of months (over the winter) before refinishing them.

Great idea for a thread 84425, having bought my first two persimmon woods and having no idea whatsoever of what to do next to restore them (well, sort of) I am going to check every post here.

Hi Jurren - great idea for a thread :sunglasses:

Looking forward to seeing what we can bring together. I couldn’t anything directly on refinishing on youtube but anyone interested in the basics of persimmon might be interested in this video showing modern day persimmon wood production, which I guess is not so very different to how it has always been done, all be it slightly more automated at certain points: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Alj775MR7Q&NR=1

Cheers, Arnie

Very interesting clip Arnie, thanks for posting it.

Here’s an old Hogan Speed Slot driver from the early 60s I believe - I’ll have to check the model number when I get home if anyone cares. Given its condition, could it be brought back to life? I’m particularly concerned about how chewed up the face is – almost looks like someone was gnawing at it… I can try to post better pics later.
New Image.JPG
New Image2.JPG

It will take some work.
I think I used to araldite the holes or roughed up spots- then smooth and sand- then regroove the lines with a small hacksaw- then of course stain and lacquer
Will take work- but what fun when the end result comes out looking great

Tinkering with clubs (only irons so far) has been a wonderful, unexpected added benefit from Lag’s program. So, I just may have to give it a go…

whipping.jpg

Great - thanks 84425!

Thus the term “Oil-Hardened”?

robbo

Here are some more pics w matching 3, both speed slot 401. A little daunting, but I may mess around with it.
persimmon 009.jpg
persimmon 010.jpg
persimmon 011.jpg
persimmon 012.jpg

Where can one source those very long ferrules that are used under the whipping of persimmon woods?

Thanks,

Soup

I have read all and I am very thankful for all. It is really helpful me.
Thanks for sharing…

Nothing is going to teach you how to drive a golf ball properly than striking a persimmon. I personally would choose persimmon over the modern drivers on a golf course where you actually have to drive the ball straight or better yet, into the proper part of the fairway… and also have to vary trajectory from hole to hole depending upon topography of the course, and wind conditions.

I am talking about the lost art of shot-making.

Persimmon also offers to us a feeling and a sound to the strike that is much more harmonious and pleasing to the senses that greatly enhances the overall experience of your walk around the links…

You are walking right? :sunglasses:

I am not that good at refinishing woods since I have not done this. However, whipping a persimmon wood is pretty easy. This is something I can do with relative ease.

This video link shows how easy it is to whip a persimmon wood.

youtube.com/watch?v=-s1u3ZNyki4