Tiger Woods on the Long Putter trend (video)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX1Yrvbwh-4[/youtube]

The dominant player of the modern era seems to be in agreement with TRGA rulings on putter length…

He IS Tiger Woods so he carries quite a bit of weight and at the same time he’s probably gonna get critiqued no matter what side of this particular issue he comes down on. What’s interesting to me is that he chooses to be “a traditionalist” when it comes to THIS specific equipment issue. I don’t know the context of the question he was asked but in the back of my mind I can’t help but think that if Tiger Woods actually putted better with a belly or long putter and it would help him win, he’d be using one today.

I wonder if the rather sudden presence of a bunch of 20-somethings using belly putters now (and quite well) who are/will be breathing down his neck in every tournament he plays in this year combined with the fact that his Scotty Cameron (I mean Nike Method) putter seems to have cooled off some since 2009 are REALLY what’s impacting his “traditionalist” views on THIS equipment issue.

I’d rather see him take a strong stance on the drivers and the ball. But then again he’s benefitted as much as the next guy from those changes.

robbo

You raised some good points for consideration there. I think Tiger probably got hurt as much as anyone with the driver, if you consider the way he drove the ball in the early 2000’s with steel shafts compared to the last 5 or 6 years when he felt he needed graphite to be competitive. It seems like he’d have more to complain about there.