Thoughts From BBG Trip to work w John Erickson

The drills John explained in this series are gold! I’m excited to get back to the range to try and ingrain what I’ve learned.
The drills are the key to improvement. You mustn’t care about the quality of your shots while working on the drills, the quality will come later. Doing the drills correctly is the most important thing.
I like to hit maybe 4 shots doing a drill, then 1 shot applying that feeling to a full swing, then back to drill. This way I can slowly incorporate what the drill is teaching me into my full swing. Then I’ll end my practice with a bunch of full swings to access my progress.
It takes a long time to make significant swing changes. Drills are the fastest route.

3 Likes

I’m really liking this latest video. Trying it out it is explaining why I do and don’t hit certain great and bad shots. I’ve got a very pivot driven passive hands release with a big miss right. I go from sublime to the ridiculous and I think it’s where I’m playing roulette with whether one time I hit hard with hands or one time leave the face wide open.

I previously could ping a 150 sign woth range balls with a seven iron several times in a row. All with a low bullet that actually draws slightly at the end of flight. I always had to let the left arm dominate, allow it to uncock first and then rotate the left forearm to close the face. I can call my shot swinging like this and people say ‘you compress the snot out of it’ but it’s actually quite lazy feeling and the release slows my pivot down. Occasionally I would add the right forearm power but two shots later and a bad shot appears. All needed impeccable rhythm. Hard on the nerves on a tight course, I have to let shots go and it just feels like gambling. Could never figure out how to give it the right hand.

The big thing I notice here is a massive feel when the left shoulder keeps ripping open as you strike, it’s like a switch gets engaged, your hands feel charged with potential, and suddenly you have this ability to slam the clubface door shut as hard as you like. It’s addictive. It’s really pronounced the more level and behind the left shoulder goes. Which I am struggling with but have experienced it a few times. You can absolutely hammer the crap out of it with the right hand if the left hits too and the pivot keeps trucking on and upper arms are welded to the chest.

The other thing is I don’t fear coming from deep inside now. I want to. The deeper and more open forearms the better. Previously I got that pathetic limp blocked out feel, or even the solid block you look up in disbelief and it’s going straight right.

Probably didn’t help I already play progressively flat irons to -6 degrees and have been missing the forearm power.

Anyway, need to invest in your modules and do it properly. But if this is what it is you have given out for free John I hope you get some recompense through social media views.

1 Like

We have been having new students sign up for the ABS Modules. There has been very positive interest… so it’s a good thing.

2 Likes

@Bulletfade yup addictive. Im a career flipper

2 Likes

Anyone can stop flipping instantly if they only make exactly a half backswing and hit it with authority. Unless you ease up or coast into it.

When I was an assistant, many years back, the pro I was working with showed me that as a trick to get anyone to instantly strike through with shaft lean and more wristcock. Even if you have a full sweep release.

It doesn’t always last but it does work.

1 Like

Video please :grimacing: i would love to see that in action or a link thx

Interesting. I think a feeling of having t-Rex arms at hip high is a good one. From there you can turn low and hard left Trevino style. Or maybe a more classical low and left and lift Snead style. Kinda think the Trevino style would be more efficient. But anyway you look at it… getting your lumbar low and left and completely behind you is very powerful

Really think this is why the old school baseball swings are so relevant to golf. The last great baseball swing was Will Clark. He bled old school

2 Likes

Here is my analysis of the BeBetterGolf video where John tries to demonstrate how to swing like Ben Hogan - https://newtongolfinstitute.proboards.com/thread/966/john-ericksons-ideas-swinging-hogan

Jeff.

Hum,
I don’t know why you continue to attack a methodology that you do not understand ? What does John or anyone of his students, myself included have to prove to you or any “gears system “ follower ??
Gears or not, the modules WORK !!! I know of several people that have worked, and continue to work the drills/modules that have had incredible, transformational success. I am actually having REAL PEOPLE come onto my Podcast to discuss this very REAL methodology that have had amazing transformations !
The goal, via the modules/drills is to get better and play better golf and have more FUN :star_struck:. Not argue about gears and trying to disprove something that actually fuckin works !!! I don’t need a machine telling me that I actually slow down !!! Really !!! I’ll play you for whatever you got !!:-1:

1 Like
3 Likes
3 Likes

John,

I am still intrigued by your claim that you can “hold shaft flex” during the early followthrough and I still remain open-minded about that possibility. However, I do not believe that you can be possibly be “holding shaft flex” during the early followthrough time period in your particular swing action that is featured in your “Deconstructing the Hogan Golf swing” video.

See the following post to examine my reasoning - https://newtongolfinstitute.proboards.com/thread/966/john-ericksons-ideas-swinging-hogan?page=1&scrollTo=12632

Jeff.

Not sure how you expect this to be productive. Lag will claim he can and you will claim he can’t. Short of having an independent scientist with sophisticated equipment evaluate Lag, we’re not going to get unbiased proof here.
I can’t imagine there’s a response Lag can write up that will have you change your mind, or vice versa. So…

1 Like

Turn the camera upside down and hey presto, it will look like shaft flex.

2 Likes

I have finally found a slow motion video of Hogan’s golf swing that clearly shows his hands between P7 => P7.7.

See - https://newtongolfinstitute.proboards.com/thread/966/john-ericksons-ideas-swinging-hogan?page=1&scrollTo=12633

Jeff.

No disrespect to Jeff Mann. But I think there are two type of teachers in the world. The ones who can show and at same time demonstrate. And than the others who teach from their interpretations of physics but can never demonstrate it. I think Jeff would be the later. Not saying his info would be bad. But without him demonstrating it I would be very hesitant.

I would say John has his swing as a visual that you can do this. Which are the guys who I tend to follow

Or then you have the other spectrum. The ones who can demonstrate, but are terrible communicators. Or even worse is the ones who can’t demonstrate nor can communicate

All I ask of for Jeff Mann to post one recent swing. So I can determine if he is viable for me to even consider his facts relevant

Slinger 72 - I have studied the biomechanics/mechanics of the full golf swing for >15 years and I have spent >10,000 hours trying to understand how pro golfers perform a full golf swing action so efficiently. If you think that the legitimacy of my intellectual opinions re: golf swing biomechanics/mechanics are dependent on the quality of my 74 year old body’s golf swing action, then you mentally operate in a very different (alternate) mental universe to me.

Jeff.

1 Like

My $.02 on these videos: the lateral slide of the hips with coiled shoulders is a revelation as I was always a Snead squatter. This move really makes striking so much more solid and more momentum through impact. Same effort. Genius.

So the next question is: “what about the other pieces that John gave Brendon?” Am doing all of those as well. It’s clearly a Ben Hogan movement, and anything the Hawk did is something to emulate imo.

Last point, I’ve always used shaft flex as a means of judging if movements were working or were likely to work. I never knew this feeling was the key element until BBG posted his interview with John.

1 Like