Thoughts From BBG Trip to work w John Erickson

However, you stated-: “Notice how open the shaft is at P3 prior to impact… and how the pivot rotates to square up the clubface with rotation.”

This is what I said… not what you said I said…
I never said square the clubface to the clubhead path…

John,

You stated-: “I never said square the clubface to the clubhead path…”

Although you never stated that “fact”, that is what you are really doing between P3 => impact, and you are doing it by rotating your lead forearm counterclockwise and not by performing a rotary pivot motion. You have no choice because your clubface is open at P3 due to the fact that you performed a lead forearm pronatory motion between your address position => P3 that rotated your clubshaft clockwise thereby opening the clubface relative to your clubhead path, and you therefore need to perform a counterclockwise lead forearm rotary motion between P3 => impact to get the clubface to become square to the clubhead path by impact.

Jeff.

I have always said that I use both… forearm rotation and torso rotation to strike the golf ball. This brings both power and accuracy to the strike. The power should be obvious, but the accuracy comes from the pivot/torso rotation via the orbit pull. By re routing the clubshaft low/left/around (Hogan) post impact… we can keep the clubface looking at the target a lot longer and take all that timing stuff out of the equation. My clubface stays in sync or square to my shoulder rotation… there is no separation of the hands rolling over, flipping, doing their own thing. They become pinned by the acceleration of the pivot/torso rotation. This is why I don’t like opening up quickly at transition… it’s about saving rotation for later so you can use it through the strike and beyond to keep applying pressure on the shaft.

First video from my trip to see John in NorCal

5 Likes

Great stuff. Can’t wait to see the rest.

Wow that is awesome ! Holding shaft flex, AND only starting that motion at P1 with zero backwards momentum !! THAT comes from thousands of intentional reps !! Cheers

1 Like

John,

I was watching this BeBetterGolf video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrxNHl-vayI

You do a good job of explaining your golf swing ideology.

Let me see if I understand you correctly.

A major element in your “holding shaft flex” golf swing action is avoiding early lead hand/clubhead acceleration in the early-mid downswing followed by a marked tendency to speed up the motion of the lead hand/club handle from just before impact and continuing through impact into the early followthrough. It would seem that the early club handle acceleration happening just before impact is mainly due to active lead forearm supination (combined with push-pressure being applied by the trail hand at PP#1 and also at PP#3) while continued club handle acceleration just after impact is mainly due to a very active lead shoulder rotation (directed inwards-and-upwards) causing the club handle to move inside-left during the early followthrough.

Two questions:

1. Can you post a face-on video captured at 10,000 frames/second that will clearly show the motion of your club handle between P6.5 => P7.5 (using the MacO’Grady P system) - basically from when the clubshaft is at a 45 degree angle pre-impact to a 45 degree angle post-impact?

2. Can you post actual measurements of the speed of angular motion of the club handle, which should be equal to the speed of angular motion of the lead hand, between P6.5 => P7.5? I very much would like to see scientific evidence that your club handle is accelerating during that time period, which would confirm your “mentally pre-planned” golf swing technique.

Jeff.

Jeff,

You took a statement by John about rotation (he meant forearm rotation into the strike not right triceps drive out; and he did not mean pivot), then went off on one and launched a massive, straw-man reply about how the pivot can’t square the face alone using a badminton racquet!

It is blindingly obvious that the one thing separating John from other proponents of a rotational golfswings is a huge hit with the forearms, rotationally. A massive emphasis on it.

What’s it all about? Why the replies that wilfully misinterpret a sentence here or there and hijack a thread? Was enjoying reading this thread until then thank you.

1 Like

Sounds like a scientist would need to come over here and bring some sophisticated testing equipment. I am more than happy to accommodate them as the testing subject.

Brendon

Brendon is starting to do ABS Module work…
Look out!

Shaft is starting to flatten out… getting on the 4:30 line… torso rotation leveling out… shaping up quickly…

yeah… look out!

10 Likes

For students on at least module 6, you can see the full video of Brendon doing the module 6 drill on the private side of the forum.

1 Like

Thanks for the call and the gif john. I did a bunch of mod 6 tonight and then a set of 30 fast mod 3.

It feels very exaggerated. Which probably shows how far off I was. You got to feel a mile to get an inch of difference.

2 Likes

Looks great Brendon, keep it up.

1 Like

That looks wicked. Amazing in so many ways. Biggest changes I’ve seen from Brendon taking instruction and so fast. Who’d have thought working hard on the correct principles would yield results lol Looks like you’re using the ground to full potential, early extension gone, and hitting with freedom. Dynamics creating alignments.

1 Like

Still waiting to get my access to the student forums re-instated.

Check now. You should have access.

1 Like
1 Like

So the practice swings are what I am looking at. Brendon can do this already fairly well… so once we get it down… then the next step would be to take it to the ball… which hasn’t happened yet… but soon enough. I can show how to do that… then the next step would be for that to evolve onto the golf course. It takes time like anything, but these practice swings show very encouraging direction.

4 Likes

The practice swings are key… learn the body movements first before worrying about the ball. The golf swing is it’s own entity even without a ball there.

2 Likes

I have finally done exactly what you are talking about, including slowswings to feel when movements should happen. I have also found this also changes from day to day. I guess this is normal.