Thoughts From BBG Trip to work w John Erickson

That is a good explanation of how I feel when it is all working. I’m a solid 12 handicap

I would add that i get your feels from a grip change I made on my own. I adopted a very weak interlocking grip. Makes it almost impossible for me to swinger flip after impact. And my weak rear hand makes me feel like I can press down on the ball. Which gets the handle more forward for me and lower

Best I can explain it Jeff

As I have said before… you don’t know what the mechanics are for proper hitting action. You are stuck in a swinger’s mentality where such an action is opposed to your views and beliefs.
We hold shaft flex into the strike… you don’t and are not willing to put in the time to learn it. It takes hard work that you are not going to execute for whatever reason.

How far did you work through the Module program?

FYI, Grady did not complete the ABS Program, only did 2 or 3 Modules… so his ABS advice would be far from complete.

The Open Face issue you would have would be a serious lack of Module 3 productivity. Also, if you couldn’t rotate strong enough through the strike, then you should have resorted to the rotated plane line method used in Mod 8.

As far as slotting the club “manually”, that is not something we would ever teach a student. We would drill Mod 6 (transition) and or superslotting Module to get a feeling for flattening the shaft, but it would not be a manual thing.

The work is strict and gains are incremental over time, but nowhere in this course would you be instructed to manually think about your transition while hitting balls or playing on the course.

We are always here for you… I suggest you post your question in the private student section that would pertain to the Module you are working on.

2 Likes

Why would you assume that only the left wrist uncocks? How would that work when both hands are on the golf club?

Clearly your understanding of things appears very limited.

What we teach is not similar to this video you posted at all. He’s suggesting changing the grip, using stiff wrists… has nothing to do with a proper hitting action.

Totally irrelevant.

If you are able to approach the ball from the 4:30 line dynamically, unhinge your wrists in unison with a strong accelerating orbit pull and low left shoulder, then the club will square itself without conscious effort.
If this motion is not done dynamically, with acceleration and and speed, you’ll hit it to right field, or consciously throw your right arm and hope to square it up.
I’m sure, when the ABS motion is done well, there is still some measurable arm rotation etc, but it is far less than a swing release, a pure result of the forces generated by an accelerating pivot driven motion and in no need of timing and manipulation.
A low left shoulder is a key in squaring the club face, a high left shoulder would result in block cuts or flipping hands.
It’s all in Lag’s videos and teachings, but you’ll need to put it into practice to really understand it.

F=Ma , Work = Force x distance .

No… Force = Mass x Acceleration

Are you going to base your theories upon making up your own scientific meanings for F=ma?

That makes any kind of discussion nearly impossible.

It’s been over a decade ago John. I thought I finished the whole program. Grady was so helpful and he was the one who recommended the grip change and approved my earlier pivot

I can get to here with a real weak grip. Feeling my elbows are always internally rotated. It was just a change that he helped with. Im just not a perfect hogan model. But the modules were the best

The shaft is flipping because you are falling back on your right foot…
No proper weight transfer will create that situation quickly.

Remember George Knudson discussing how important it was to finish up onto the left leg.

Grady is not an ABS instructor.

Did you have a different username then?
We could check to see how far you got along in the course.

1 Like

I deleted my old email account years ago. I will private message you my info. And my old user name

I thought I did all the modules. But maybe I was mistaken

lagpressure

Some of your comments don’t make any sense to me. If you wish to use your trail wrist to increase angular velocity of the club, then that is your decision. Is this involved in your hitting action?

I’ve stated ‘F= Ma’ which is the same as Force= Mass x Acceleration

What do mean by saying “No… Force = Mass x Acceleration”? It seems identical to me.

‘Work Done = Force x Distance moved in the direction of the force’ (check the video below).

GCSE Physics Work done and energy transfer (AQA 9-1) - YouTube

It’s how you can transfer energy between objects, for example the forces being applied via your hands to the club. Therefore F=Ma applies to both swinging and hitting because both are doing work on the club (ie. transferring energy to the club).

You keep saying P=mv only applies to swinging but you don’t explain why. P =mv is linear momentum whereas the club has angular and linear momentum for both swinging and hitting.

You cannot say swinging is just P=mv while hitting is just F=Ma, it doesn’t make sense at all.

I suspect you are just making assumptions of the physics happening in the ABS technique based on feel.

I feel as if I’m creating shaft flex
I feel as if my torso is squaring the clubface

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you advocating a swing based on feel and it might work for some and not others. What makes it controversial are your explanations where the physics doesn’t seem to add up.

Here’s another instructor who says square the clubface with rotation but again he doesn’t explain exactly how that works from a biomechanics perspective (maybe another ‘feel’?).

The body pivot might change the orientation of the ‘lower body/torso/shoulder girdle/arms’ in space so that they face more to the target but they cannot themselves act alone to square the clubface in the 0.25 secs it takes to perform the downswing. You are also probably having to contribute the squaring of the club using the rotation of the ‘upper arms/forearms’ up to impact.

He’s talking about 2 different formulas. Work is the product of force and displacement. It’s not amazingly relevant in my opinion, but that is the formula.

It’s not relevant to me whether his explanation would not create the speed he is showing, what’s relevant to me, and others, is replicating his explanation does create the speed he is showing.

1 Like

I tried that weak grip today and doing that turn you posted a pic of. I would say walk don’t run and get advice from Lag or Brad Hughes only.Once knew a guy who played in our mens club who was a softball player as well.He looked exactly like you do at impact.And would hit the ball all over the place.That is why baseball/softball leg movements aren’t compatible with the golf swing.I bet you throw the club like crazy into the ball to square it up and have some massive casting going on.

Grady was a guy who tried every swing doctrine known to man.I would only work with one swing program at a time. Mixing and matching many teachers philosophies is like mixing religions

Hey Bigdad. I too have been in the program a long time (since 2013). I too have gone through almost all the modules (last working on Mod 9). I too for the longest time was flippy and inconsistent despite the module work.

What’s changed recently? I would say I have finally been able to “unlock” some key feelings around Mod 1 and Mod 3. I wasn’t maintaining spine tilt into impact due to incorrectly transferring my weight. Thus this would cause me to stall and throw the club.

A couple years ago I was finally able to identify that and work on correcting it (still a work in progress). I also was able to finally better transition the club and get the “free ride” working, also allowing me to make better use of Mod 1, 2, and 3.

I guess I am saying is that learning this may take a lot longer than you would expect. And sometimes all it takes is a little nudge in the right direction to make a huge bunch of progress.

an object striking another object is either increasing in speed… acceleration…
or it’s constant… or it is decelerating.

Momentum is not accelerating.

Force is created when a mass is accelerating…
if the mass isn’t accelerating, it’s a momentum strike.

lagpressure

The shaft is flipping because you are falling back on your right foot…
No proper weight transfer will create that situation quickly.

Remember George Knudson discussing how important it was to finish up onto the left leg.

George who?

GK_Shift

4 Likes

George working on module 2 there.

2 Likes

One thing that’s always amazed me about that particular sequence is how George’s head moves quite a bit at first, but then through the hitting area it absolutely looks like a still photo for several frames.

2 Likes

Hey Lester.Thanks for the reply.Yes Grady and the guys on secret of the dirt that were in these mods gave me some good advice.It’s a frustrating process making a swing work effectively.

They proposed I close the clubface on the way down with an overly weak grip.And feel like I’m pulling a wet mop on the ground into the ball and beyond.Which got me super open at impact.Which if i recall was the post acceleration mod that Grady told me to implement by the wet mop analogy with the club.He told me that was all post acceleration really was and is.But now I’m way to open at impact.A little out of sync I would imagine

But they were all very helpful as the attitude seems here.It helped that they were completed in the program and experts of the swing motion.

Still want to be a 10 handicap or less.That is a real process