Thoughts From BBG Trip to work w John Erickson

GEARS isn’t a radar system, it’s a camera system. It’s calibrated to itself…there are sensors and the cameras track them in real time and space. It’s a way to measure your body and club…you can measure anything you want. The speed of the hands or grip at various points, the speed of the clubhead at various points, how much the shaft is bending and drooping, how many degrees of tilt you have of various body segments, the rates at which various angles load or unload, etc. It’s really a fascinating system. The results would say what they say…it doesn’t invalidate instruction or intentions or feels or anything else.

2 Likes
3 Likes

See - https://newtongolfinstitute.proboards.com/thread/966/john-ericksons-ideas-swinging-hogan?page=2&scrollTo=12666

Jeff.

Ok… so we have gone from it is not possible… to yes, it is possible… but only under certain conditions!

So, now we can explore what are those certain conditions?
I can tell you that I work EXTREMELY hard to do this with as much thrust and pressure on the shaft coming from torso rotation and my hands. This is not an easy undertaking.

I can also tell you that you would NOT want to use lightweight gear… and it most certainly is advantageous to have a heavier clubhead.

You can pressure the clubhead over a greater length of time… and the heavier head is much more difficult to get moving out the gate or at the start of the downswing. This of course allows me to build speed slower and keep pressure and acceleration on the clubshaft.

The lightweight clubs of today are not going to help the golfer hold shaft flex into impact.

Hitting the golf ball with a kinetic load in the clubshaft stabilizes impact and off centered strikes, puts more pressure and feel into the player’s hands so they can control the golf club as a whole, angle of attack and entry, low point stability, clubface alignment… loft of the club and of course desired path.

By the way… would love to see you do this Jeff as you said you can easily do this. Bring it!

If you are successful, you will be on the path to improving your golf swing tremendously because the necessary ingredients needed to accomplish this are vital to mastering a golf swing that is repeatable, reliable and tangible to execute with ease and simplicity.

Let us know when you have posted your effort on your site.

4 Likes

@JeffMann @Dubious Pffft. U and Dubious need to go shoot ur 92s on that other website. Obviously ur happy high handicap swingers.

Not interested.

3 Likes

I’ve been on this site since 2012 and it is the same people making the same arguments. It’s either they can’t read and comprehend or that they don’t want to learn and are here just to be trolls.

Best to ignore them and move on.

5 Likes

14 years and Jeff is still trying to debunk Lag :rofl: imagine instead he had been doing mod 3 for all that time

6 Likes

Changing the subject from Jeff …one thing that truly amazes me is that john changed from a swinger pattern to a hitters pattern - this is no ave joe weekend player - its someone who has grown up with hours upon hours of swing pattern training in his dna, won on tour and been at a level where he could play with the best - yet has quite visibly changed his motion to something more functional. No doubt hes a very smart guy on the workings of a golf swing, but the change in action is incredible-

4 Likes

I think most people here are attempting to do that…swinger to hitter, or some variation on the spectrum.

I believe it has everything to do with the drills/modules presented here. After I read The Talent Code, I immediately signed up for Brad Hughes courses.

I guess it’s true, you cannot change a swing while over the golf ball.

4 Likes

I think we need to replace the “swing DNA” phrase oft used round here with “golf swing myelin”

And everyone obviously should read The Talent Code

4 Likes

Great line, so true.

Amazing transformation, class :ok_hand:

Talent Code is a great read…would love to find a golf specific type read.

3 Likes

I tried to get Daniel Coyle, author of “ The Talent Code “my Podcast to talk about this. I’ll ask him again because I think this is too important.
Doing the drills over and over, mindfully, sets the intention so intrinsically, that it naturally comes out as part of our swing DNA or, “myelin”.
I know for me that there is no way that I could’ve made the changes that I have without this knowledge and methodology. Reading “The Talent Code” armed me with the understanding that change takes as long as it takes to have the Myelin settle in.

4 Likes

I’m all in. Modified my Louisville Golf mint classic 50’s persimmon driver today to 14oz weight including new midsize Golf Pride grip. Been practicing Johns theories on flat swing and never hitting better after 46 years playing the game. It’s been a process and I put in around 300 balls each day in my net golf home studio. I had previously studied Hogan’s five fundamentals 20 yrs ago.
Thanks John for your stellar insight. Hoping to go to scratch golfer at 63 years of age from 14hcp playing Sr. Tees @5500 yds.

4 Likes

Look up Mastery by Robert Greene. Talent and Skill Mastery go hand and hand.

2 Likes

I’ve read the Mastery book. Also a good one is the Slight Edge. Talks about how very small changes made over a long time can result in big results down the line.

2 Likes

Someone mentioned Trevino…

I watched Trevino’s warm up session before the “Bruno’s Memorial Classic” senior event in Birmingham, AL in either 1992 or 1993. It was really a thing of beauty to watch.

The warmup lasted about 1 hour. He was with his caddie Herman Mitchell and had two other people watching him warm up.

He started out hitting wedge shots that honestly went about 5 yards. They didn’t get half way to the end of the range tee area. He hit shots like this, the longest ones going about 15 yards maybe, for minimum the first 30 minutes of his warm up. He would hit 2 or 3, then stop and talk.

Then he started making longer swings, probably 3/4 length, the length he probably used for alot of his standard iron shots. Again, it was mostly the wedge and certainly nothing more than a short iron.

With about 15 minutes left, he began taking full swings and worked his way all the way up to his driver.

Interestingly, at this point in his career, he was playing mostly a little draw, like 2-3 yards maybe.

The sound of every strike was incredible. So crisp.

The other experience I can remember from a great ball striker was taking a golf lesson from Kathy Whitworth in Fort Worth in 2005. We only did long game for about 20 minutes, as I wanted mostly a chipping and pitching lesson from her. But it was similar to Lee Trevino; every shot she hit was just so flush. It was so humbling to try to hit chips and hear the sound mine made compared to hers, on such a little shot.

I’ve not been around any modern pros to hear how they hit it, but Trevino and Whitworth were both amazing strikers of the ball.

To see the BBG guy making such a rotary move, it is reminiscent of Trevino. I hope he continues to post about how his game does with this method.

1 Like

The thing Jeff misses is the intent- scientists look for factual evidence to accommodate their ideas. Intentions and feels beat these best efforts.
Scientists try to produce a look or a figure. Good players produce the look from intentions and pressures and feels.
This one intention alone produces greater feel in the hands so we know where the clubhead is at all times. Great players always talk about knowing where the head is and as a result being able to make microscopic alterations to the face or path on a whim to produce a good shot from a swing that may have been somewhat off their best.
Jeff was around way back at the start of ABS and has ventured back singing the same tune. That’s fine. I believe his golf handicap around that time was a high single handicap to low teens? Correct me if I am wrong.

As a follow up question I would like to know if Jeff’s handicap and ability has become greater because of this so called knowledge he has. Cos I teach hundreds of people every year and John teaches a bunch of people online and they all get better from our teachings. That’s the goal. The ball flight and strike is a sign of a good golfer- not the knowledge base they use to no effect

6 Likes

Twomasters,

You reasoning is nonsensical!

I agree that a skilled golfer creates an efficient golf swing by “intentions, pressures and feels”. I also agree that a skilled golfer should know where the clubhead is at all times, and that great clubhead control is an end-product of the efficient execution of his “intentions, pressures and feels”.

However, my “intentions’ pressures and feels” are science-based and also primarily based on the intensive study of the golf swing action of pro golfers. I think that John Erickson’s ABS-ideology makes no sense from a biomechanical perspective.

Consider his newest video where he tries to show that he can “hold shaft flex” throughout his early downswing and early followthrough - https://youtu.be/f2tb4ltFQEI

If you look at his pivot motion in that video it is biomechanically unnatural and contrived. Note that his speed of body motion is very slow between P4 and P5.5 (mid-downswing when the hands are at waist level) and it then speeds up dramatically after P5.5. No pro golfer - including Ben Hogan, George Knudson, Sam Snead - ever performed a driver golf swing action in that biomechanically unnatural manner.

Here is Ben Hogan’s famous video lesson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQqqF1UHi14

Watch the video between the 0:21 - 0.38 minute time point. Note how actively he rotates his lower body (pelvis) from the very start of the downswing and how his hands get down to waist level during that time period. Ben Hogan was not “saving his pelvic rotation” for later in the downswing as JE advises in his ABS teaching.

You asked-: “As a follow up question I would like to know if Jeff’s handicap and ability has become greater because of this so called knowledge he has.”

My knowledge of golf swing biomechanics/mechanics has increased dramatically over the past 20 years, and I am now striking the ball better today (at the age of 74 years) than I was at the age of 54 years. The reason is that I have successfully translated my knowledge into more efficient “intentions, pressures and feels” - despite the fact that my aging body is obviously less flexible today than it was 20 years ago.

Jeff.