The Real Moe Norman

I’m just really shy. And I have to get another Coke. :wink:

Be careful what you wish for…people pop in an out of threads 24/7. You’ll get your ear chewed off shortly I’ll wager.

Cheers,
Captain Chaos

Hello all.
I popped in and out and saw nothing new and now I see lots. Soooo …over the next few days I will walk myself through what you have asked. The one thing I will talk about right now is that the reason we called the book “The Real Moe Norman” is because we went beyond the golf swing. These two gentlemen, Lawson and Greg knew Moe as a person and their insights into that are as important if not more important than the swing section. It is really a two part book. I also believe that Moe was pretty awesome to watch when he was older. I saw him in 1996 and that started my own personal journey, however Moe’s swing from the 60s is very long, very powerful and really demonstrates what he was doing and why. I don’t think Moe ever changed his swing but was willing to make some money later in life, but if I was going to study Trevino for instance I would watch his swing from 1970 even if his swing from 1995 was still great to watch. There is very little out there of Moe from the 60s. We have film showing his swing from in front, down the line and from behind. Very powerful stuff. What is really interesting is that he used the Vardon grip in those years. Also we fully discuss the notion of autism and why we don’t think it applies to Moe. So when we talk about The Real Moe Norman we are talking about the man and his ideas and cut through a lot of the myth around Moe because both Lawson and Greg believe that some of that actually makes it easier to discount or marginalize Moe. You would be surprised how many people say “Oh you mean that autistic guy.”, when you mention Moe’s name. They have some sort of vision that he didn’t really know what he did or just picked up a golf club one day and hit the ball straight. This discounts all the hard work he put in and his real genius when it comes to the golf swing.

As for the golf instruction it goes beyond the notion of just the vertical drop. When Moe taught Greg the golf swing he taught it to Greg from the ground up. He passed onto Greg what he did, why he did it and how he felt it. What is interesting is he taught Greg the concepts and ideas that he and Lawson worked on for years before so what we have are two experts here that worked with or learned from the man himself. Now when it comes to the vertical drop we reveal a totally different way to look at it because it is the way that Lawson and Moe worked on together and that Moe taught to Greg. If you remember Mike Maves from this thread you will know that he knew a lot about Moe. He bought the book and found our information about the vertical drop to be totally new. It is not the only information in the book however but a very vital piece. So there is a start. I will come back with some more.

Patrick

I have no idea what happened to this book but in ours we include a great deal of Moe’s mental approach to golf as developed with Lawson and taught to Greg. His mental approach is easily applied to life as well.

No doubt! At least here people are really interested in Moe.

Hitting 800 balls then putting then playing 9 “practice” holes (4 balls per hole, sometimes playing trouble shots from the worst spots just to keep sharp) then hitting more balls. Every friggin’ day. And Greg did it with him.
Moe had large strong hands, used extra long easily changed rubber grips, built up. He used the vardon grip! He returned to Florida and saw Lawson every spring and guess what? He always used the Vardon grip.
No I would not discuss it. I know that you know that Moe said many things to many people. In our book we cut through a lot of the myth and talk and discuss what is actually needed as he worked on the golf swing with Lawson and how he taught it to Greg.
No offset.
E3

Oh by the way if you are reffering to the dime in front of the ball or the second teed up ball after the ball these are interesting things that Moe thought about and talked about. After my asking Greg was able to go out and hit a second ball 18 inches past the first. BUT these and other drills did not play a large part in how Lawson and he worked on the motion or how he taught it to Greg. Both Greg and Lawson did come up with some very interesting drills for the book to help the reader incorporate the feelings and movements that Moe used.

Thanks for the post.

I spoke with Greg the other day and I made a custom persimmon driver for him with a super heavy head (15 ounces E3) and super stiff tipped X shaft with a very tight grained compact persimmon head, just as Moe would have liked. I just can’t watch another youtube video of someone demonstrating Moe’s action as well as Greg does hitting another frying pan. Moe detested modern lightweight gear.

Yes I know about the driver. Greg will nail it and it will be to the custom settings that he and Moe liked. You are so right. Do you think that the “modern” club set ups with offset etc. stop golfers from becoming true ball strikers?

chipper…If you do a search of Lag’s posts you will find about 281,000 of them explaining Lag’s thoughts on modern equipment :laughing: :laughing: And he is spot on

I just like that personal touch!

Hello Ball strikers
My name is Greg Lavern that spent many years with The Real Moe Norman on the practice tee and golf course in complete privacy where i was provided with all his knowledge. He taught me to swing just like him in his own likeness which i never deviated from or changed his pure action when The Real Moe Norman was the greatest ball striker in the world.

I am 55 years old but move like a 30 year old and never had a sore muscle from swinging the golf club just the way The Real Moe Norman taught me. I still swing E3 to E5 golf clubs even today and believe in mass where i can feel the head and know where the club head is during the swing.

I would like to thank lag pressure (John) for sending me a great looking driver that was made custom to my specs. I can’t
wait to get out and hit it and experience again what Moe and myself felt in the era when we used real persimmon. When you hit it on the nose you know it and feel it. John put his time and an effort into the construction of this driver and i appreciate it very much. I will give it my very best even though i do hit the drivers i play with very straight. As Moe use to tell me " you can always hit it better no matter how good you hit it." John is dedicated to perfection when striking the golf ball and knows the equipment that is required that is superior to the club heads made today. I hope to make a video sometime with this driver. Thanks John and i hope to be sending you a special something in the next few days.

With regard to the book i am going through a time frame of promotion on the book that involves radio shows, television and over all promotion to let the golfing public know where the book can be purchased. therealmoenorman.com
I know there will be a million questions and would like people that love and appreciate The Real Moe Norman golf swing to read the book and digest the information. I will be glad to answer many questions at the appropriate time which i am sure you understand.

By the way, it was a silver 50 cent piece laid down on the takeaway and a quarter or a dime or another tee stuck in the ground fourteen inches in front of the teed ball that could be touched or grazed down the line with the sole of the driver head. The Real Moe Norman liked to practice this exercise to secure being low and long through the hitting area and beyond.

Thank you
Greg Lavern

Welcome,

Great to have you on here Greg, and we all look forward to being able to discuss the piece with you, learn and enjoy from Moe’s timeless legacy.

I look forward to reading the book!