The Long Bunker Shot

Just wanted to pass on a new/old vintage club that’s recently working for me…My course last summer decided to re-do their bunkers…They put in some very soft sand with a foam padding underneath…Since the re-do my bunker game hasn’t been as sharp as it normally is…In particular it’s been hard for me to fly the ball more than 10-ft. in the air…I’ve tried every thing from swinging as nearly as fast I can, wedges with lots of bounce/sole width, a shallow “U” swing, very open clubface, getting very close to the ball in the sand at entry, etc… and nothing has worked well…

Then I experimented with an 8-iron and this loft shot the ball forward nicely however deep down I felt that this club didn’t quite have enough bounce or weight…So I took and old MT PW that is very heavy with lots of bounce…I was able to turn in the loft to 42 degrees and Bingo my long bunker game is now back in business…Even though I turned it in I still have plenty of bounce…Also, this heavy club with a near 8-iron loft works great with Lag’s pitching technique…

So if anyone else is struggling with the long bunker shot from soft sand, maybe the above might work for you too…