The 5th Power Source or Accumulator

Well as far as the 5th accumulator goes, if anyone has ever actually built a plane to swing on, you find out quickly that the club does not ride on a perfect flat plane like in Hogan’s book. It would be pretty flat… and if you believe as I do that the true objective of the swing is to have the clubhead traveling faster after impact than before, (true pre stressed shaft flex to the ball and beyond) you are going to have to be applying some serious forces upon that shaft long after impact…

This is where that final plane shift from elbow plane to shoulder plane
takes place. I believe the secret lies here…

I have one word… Peter Senior… I saw it… I was there, in the late 80’s in Australia, no one hit it better than Peter Senior…not Norman, not Faldo, not O Grady…… and I believe Hogan did the same.

So after Accumulator #4 is spent, the body rotation, the left hip cleared, the right arm is extended, wrist rotation and uncocking spent, what is left to keep accelerating?

So as far as holding the flex all the way to the ball and beyond…

I have heard Johnny Miller speak about it… that he could do it… and that during his peak in the 1970’s,
he claims to have done it better than anyone…

The Iron Byron machine does it…

Mac O claims to do it…

I would say from my personal experience, and the use of high speed cameras, it is possible to hold the flex to the ball and beyond without a pork chop divot.

the secret 5th accumulator…

I think it parallels golf itself… the closer you get to it, the better you will be…

Think on these things…

Properly using my 5th accumulator to arrive at my finish, I like to get my torso rotated to it’s maximum angle, I would guess about 30 degree beyond perpendicular. My spine becomes a bit more upright, arms are slightly bent but really I try to finish with them as straight as possible.
The clubface should be at right angles to my shoulders, and I try not to cock my wrists, and with a short iron, my clubshaft might be about 45 degrees down from skyward. Of course with a driver the momentum of the club, will bring it down to below parallel, probably through the ears looking from behind, but I an resisting all of this.

The reason I do so much resistance is to put as much pressure on my pressure points right to the end… PRESSURE IS FEEL!

I do realize that by pulling the clubhead out of orbit, as compared to a swingers dump and full roll hinge release, I lose clubhead speed,
but the amount of feel this puts in my hands gives me the ball control I need to position the golf ball around a course, so I am playing a game of strategy, rather than a game of “rip and find”

through—not at-- the ball
duvalthru.jpg