TGM oversight of the lever assemblies

As much as I respect and appreciate Homer’s work regarding TGM…
I completely disagree with the idea that the hands should ever control the pivot… I do not agree with TGM 5-0 that “Force over alignments reduces precision”

A golf ball does not leave the tee by geometry alone. Proper geometry does not in anyway insure proper application of forces…

However… to the contrary…

Proper application of forces will create a vapor trail of geometry.
That vapor trail of geometry CAN be very precise if the forces that create it are mentored properly.

That geometry must be created by forces… and the pivot… is by Homer’s own admission, the master accumulator… The force of the golf swing must be supplied primarily by the pivot. Secondly by the hands and forearms… and lastly by any arm activity.

Whether the hands are passive hinges (swingers) or vicious little motors (hitters) both protocols must ride upon the wings of pivot power. There is no such thing as a fine ball striker that does not drive both TGM’s primary and secondary level assembles through the golf swing.

I agree with Homer that you can hit a golf ball without any pivot action… BUT… just NOT VERY WELL!

I am not sure why Homer omitted a pivot driven lever assembly.

For those who don’t understand a lever assembly, you have three component parts…
You have 1. pressure2. a fulcrum and 3. weight

like a teeter totter.

Homer’s primary lever is described as the clubhead being the weight, and the left shoulder being the fulcrum with power being supplied by the right arm in between those two points… at the hands…

Homer’s secondary lever is the club again being the weight, the left hand being the fulcrum and the pressure being supplied by the hands. (accumulators 2 and 3)

The concept of a master lever assembly where the pivot supplies the power, the left shoulder becomes the fulcrum and the weight of the arms, hands, and club being exactly that, “the weight” is strangely and tragically omitted in my opinion.

I strongly suspect Homer never really understood the importance of post impact pivot thrust to deal with sustaining lag pressure, holding shaft flex therefore maximizing ball compression. It’s all there in chapter two in the diagrams… I know he understood it exists… but his lack of emphasis upon the HUGE benefits of pursuing such ideals is not forgivable in my eyes… and this is why I think Mac went AOL and why we never have seen a TGM guy dominate the tour ball striking stats as one would certainly expect.

Of course, we are here to change all that! :smiling_imp:

I would like to be the Asian Test Pilot!

Great post there Lag :sunglasses:

1-L-12 “Ball Speed is dependent on both before Impact and after Impact Clubhead Speed.”

This is absolutely at the core of what we are learning here at Advanced Ball Striking… maximizing compression for any shot…… not just long driving… you can maximize compression on a chip shot… The key to doing this is acceleration…properly applying it and understanding it.

6-C-2-A “If the Pressure Point pressure that produced the initial Clubshaft flex is maintained it will maintain the flex also.

This is absolutely correct…

So the pressure will be a steady smooth Thrust form the entire Power Package Assembly, and will produce a constant rate of acceleration of the Primary Lever Assembly. If the Pivot moves the Right Shoulder at the same speed as the Power Package – or Primary Lever Assembly – the Accumulators will not be Released by this action until the Right Elbow can straighten. Even then the Clubhead Lag is still maintained – it has NO Release Point. “

Again this is very well stated…

But to omit or not properly acknowledge “a pivot driven lever assembly” is to not fully understand the importance of a great pivot in the golf swing…

The confusion will continue until a student of TGM really understands the difference between the hands being passive hinges… (law of the flail) and the hands being aggressive motors…

One is automatic release, the other non automatic (deliberate)

Either way the pivot must deliver the power package to release point or what we call P3. From there the hands either fire actively and with aggression or they act as passive hinges. This is a HUGE difference, and I believe this to be more definitive of hitting or swinging than what the right arm does.

The right arm can take exactly the same role… passive or motoring.

The right arm can thrust into a straightening …or it CAN BE PULLED straight through the outward forces of CF. If it is passive, this goes nicely with the passive hands, and the clubface will roll into a full roll release by the forces that be. The clubshaft will also move off plane into a parallel plane or “equal angular spiral’ if the golfer is using anything below a shoulder plane… and this is my argument for Moe Norman… Moe could swing without having to deal with the potential problems of moving the shaft into an equal angular spiral post impact…

CF wants to put these things in line… shaft and left arm… and Moe had them both inline from DTL and face on views… this is GOOD SCIENCE because this is what physics wants to do…

Either way… hitting or swinging…. the pivot needs to be driving the primary lever assembly… (Homer’s version)

If the pivot is driving the golf swing, we can clearly push and pull at the same time for the simple fact that we have a shoulder on the left side of the torso, and we have a shoulder on the right side of the torso. The left is pulling, the right is pushing if the right arm remains more passive which is what I prefer for the very reason Homer states in:

b

“That variations in elbow bend during release will disturb clubface control by the right arm, making it an inferior procedure.” I agree with this statement 100%.[/b]

This is why I teach a pivot driven hitting procedure, not a passive pivot hitting procedure that is based more so upon right arm thrust into the primary lever assembly. Myself and my students drive the primary lever assembly with the pivot, not the right arm… we do as little disturbing to clubface alignments as possible keeping the right arm out of impact arena for this very reason that Homer states in 1-F…however… we DO NOT give up the #2 and particularly the #3 accumulator potential… we max it out… pedal to the metal!

This is all nothing new… every great ball striker drives the golf swing with a great pivot… EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!

Pick your poison… motors or hinges… hit of swing… but the pivot MUST be the driving force of a proper golf swing if you have any chance of flushing a ball consistently around a golf course.

Also 1-F

"…the Right Arm can contribute Hand Acceleration to the Downstroke and support all elements of ‘Resistance to Deceleration’ "

Better yet, the right arm save some range of motion to accelerate the shaft post impact so giving us the best chance of sustaining shaft flex to and beyond the golf ball.

Hogan was very clear in stating that in his “Second part of the Swing” in “Five Lessons”

He uses all caps:

“AT IMPACT THE RIGHT ARM IS STILL BENT SLIGHTLY” then adds “It isn’t until the clubhead is two feet or so past the ball that it straightens out completely”

If we read between the lines here a bit, he is saying that the right arm is slightly bent at impact, and also slightly bent two feet after impact. This is describing a very frozen right arm through the impact interval… not a driving right arm into impact.
We will be addressing this in great detail in module #4.

(1-F) Homer Kelley

“That variations in elbow bend during release will disturb clubface control by the right arm, making it an inferior procedure.”

We must be very precise in the order of things accelerating… other than transition, the right arm is better to play a much more passive role than most would think… however, post impact, there is great opportunity to really use the right arm aggressively post impact to complete our intentions and objectives.