Swing Sequences

Whoops, 5 on Shaq. Nice retro jerseys tho

Is that just due to the flatness or because of that shaft direction?

Both, see lag for flat, but the closer the center of the axis of rotation (shaft) is to the toe, the less it’s gonna turn over from momentum.

Brilliant. I think the centre of rotation is more important to be honest- you have to obey the laws of motion and if the heaviest part of the club is the toe then that’s what’s going to swing around the centre. If you let it it will drop down in the backswing and open, and run around in the follow through and close as the centre slows down(which is why pivot stall is so bad and why keep it moving is so good). Hogan’s ability to keep the face square to his shoulder line on the way through has a ton to do with that centre of rotation idea and not just his ability to thrust- though he did have that! I always felt that Cleveland were on to something with those VAS irons even though they were fugly as all hell…

Ugly is still ugly though unless it’s last call. The best part of a move that good is that you can learn to fix anything with a model that good. Not that I’d ever compare myself to him but he built it to fight the low left and I can use the same model to help fix my high right. It’s so good that you can learn from it no matter where you come from.

Yep…I saved that article also from when it came out. And I have thought long and hard about what he meant. Here’s what I settled on.

If you stand holding the club in your left hand and rotate the club clockwise like a screw driver, KEEPING THE LEFT ELBOW TIGHT, that is what he is talking about. If you let the left elbow swing out from the body, that is not what he did. That puts the shaft pointing parallel and then behind the target line too soon.( or if there was an extension coming out of the butt of the club, it would point too much towards the ball)

That’s my guess as to what he was saying. And that may not be clear…or right.
eagle

I can’t put my finger on exactly what it is but there’s always been something in that series of pics that speaks to me more than anything else I’ve ever seen of Hogan. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he is so far removed from his playing career and the move is little simplified and slowed down. Like it’s more attainable or something, more human. I also like the way the camera angle is just a little off so it gives a tiny bit of a different look at the lines especially at address. The post impact shot of the stabilty and the minimized move in the lower body still as perfect as can be is mezmerizing. This series along with one particular shot of Tiger on #9 at Pebble connects to me more than any others. I think they might go back up on the wall, this time blown up and framed and done right. Thx TM.

PERFECT comment IMO…more human indeed—73? Im 55 and have a LOT of work to do but just seeing that is inspring…

kennedy 2.jpgkennedy 1.jpg

By a mile the best player of all the Presidents, probably the best all around athlete as well. Played to a 7 while in office. I love the athleticism in his move especially considering how bad his back was.

time.com/time/specials/2007/ … -1,00.html

Not very good film quality in this home movie but you can see how athletic he was.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ulgvNxo0Fk[/youtube]

Elegant and athletic is a rare combination. The best way to play is to just play. Very cool.

Here’s another great pic of Hogan that was separate to the sequence I posted-- Advanced Ball Striking students [size=150]salute[/size] the module work that is happening in this picture
benh126.jpg

Hogan Bunker 2.jpgHogan 9.jpg
Hogan 8.jpg

1 Like

LCD,

I particularly like that second picture of hogan in transition…it looks so peaceful and unhurried, one can almost sense the gravity drop, the calm before the storm.

Gary Player got it that far across the line at the top to give himself more time, space and momentum to get it dropped into the 4:30 line. Different methods to achieve the same result. Both excellent, both extremely long and accurate, particularly pound for pound.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n53BN4Bb5Fo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StKkT9sTTtQ[/youtube]

LCD…time, space, momentum to drop it into the 430 line? That really conjures up an idea of an unhurried move with a clear destination in mind, the first video shows how insanely good GP is at this.

And sometimes he’d be laid off too. Dynamic motions. Use the total of the move to create the shots. Static positions are irrelevant, the shot is the only thing that matters. Player did that better that anyone. I could spend years on that last one comparing and working 3 of the most different moves in the history of the game. That’s a keeper for sure. Plus the most insane fitness regiment in the history of the game. He’s in better shape right now at about 70 than Tiger. One handed pushups in sets of 10.

Hogan… What I would have given to have data on him…
He would have been close to having spot on movement patterns… His lower body mechanics look amazing…
Although when our body learns how to create the power production process these moves occur dynamically and naturally in motion with no thoughts applied…
What hoagn does with his lower body our bodies will do naturally once our body learns how it’s design to move and create power…

Even in tennis similar move
itennis forehand.jpgforehand2.jpg
Is what hogan doing a golf move or moving the way his body is designed to move and create speed… Maybe we can become hogans and produce hogans moves…If we lean how to creat right movement patterns… there is hope … best fo all even stripe the ball almost as good

Peter Kostis spends too much time worshiping Tiger. Back in the day he was much more open minded regarding the swing and the theories of those who came before him that weren’t so commercialized.

Cheers,

Captain Chaos

Eagle,
Thanks for this image. I’ve been stewing over it for a couple of days and I like it- I hadn’t really pictured it in a sort of straight line like that before…
Cheers,
BOM