Swing Cancer, Carcinogens

The NBAer doing three throws is practicing the exact throw they will have. But golf never gives us a predictable shot nor even the same shot twice. It’s very easy to home in on the correct distance for a chip after a few chips and empty the rest of the shag bag at the hole. Then we move to a different distance, send the first one too long or too short and home in again. We leave the practice green feeling pretty good about our chipping game with the high density of gimmes left, forgetting that the first ‘money’ shot to each distance wasn’t really that good at all.

We get out on the course, the chip that counts is no good and we get annoyed because the practice session was ‘perfect’. The feeling we had during practice wasn’t there because we’ve now reset repetition mode. We then search desperately for the feelings we had in the practice session and just get worse. Exactly the same as range practice with the full swing–it’s not only the mats that make it easy and set one up for disappointment.

The true skill of golf is judging the distance first up, seeing the break first up, judging the wind first up, hitting a full wedge first up after previously just hitting a driver.

Even for drivers, you just can’t get the connection to the ground.

I went to a range for the first time in ages last Friday. Not really my wish but I was en-route to a golf weekend and the driver wanted to try out his new 3-wood. I watched for a bit but couldn’t resist not hitting balls so I did. They had those large octagonal mats (no grass). My stance for the driver had my right foot half off the edge of the thick mat when I put a ball on immovable rubber tee. So I couldn’t use driver.

Well isn’t that the truth.

This is why I really encourage playing over ball beating. Do your swing biomechanical work, test it briefly with a few shots and make note of what the ball is doing… then take that shot shape or tendency directly to the golf course.

I’ll tell you all one thing right now… even really great players hit it a little different each day… you have to be able to adjust…some.

Sam Snead said “Dance with the gal yer’ brought”

And by the sounds of that interview, Snead may have been dancing with different swing every day :confused:

Mr Chaos is my Dad…please, call me Captain. :wink:

I’m all about FUN and my lifestyle is diametrically opposed to unFun. Therefore, I respectfully refuse to participate and contribute anything overtly sexual to the above. (I’m no longer away…it’s in my pocket) :wink: Hah, couldn’t help myself!

Captain Chaos

I´ve posted about this a couple days ago - this year i had to hit from range mats 3 periods of time (2-3 weeks) - honestly, everytime i stepped on the course i just hit so bad shots you couldnt even imagine. When i went back onto grass after a while it went back to normal. What i learned from it - before hitting of mats, i take my sandwedge over to the short game area which has grass all year long (since nobody mostly practices there :slight_smile: ) and i just hit up to 100y shots onto greens.

To one part i agree - to another i disagree.

Ball beating imo should develop a consistent feel that is repeatable on the course - if you dont have this, if you tinker around, you better keep beating balls til you get this feel. Doing this on course is a pretty bad idea imo.
If you dont have fundamental swing flaws - hitting balls - doesnt do much for you - there is no real purpose behind it, its basically a waste of your time you could put to better use on the the course, then aboves statement imo is true. Otherwise, getting the sequencing and movements correct, the range where you can practice these motions over and over again is helpful.

But as far as practicing certain shots on the range and taking them to the course - no. Like other said, you cant compare the NBA 3pointer training to a 100y golf shot. You can hit 100 balls on the range to 100y from your perfect lie, but when i challange you to hit 10 balls from 100y out on the course from different locations/lies and maybe with a bit of money on the side to put pressure on you - those shots will look a lot different than what you just practiced on the range. You might bring proper swing fundamentals to this challenge, but that doesnt mean you can adjust to uphill/downhill/sidehill lies / wind / shots from the rough / shots to pins you can´t see the bottom and so on. Those are expierences you can only learn on the course.

Another couple to consider:

1. Looking for lost ball in the woods…I never do this. Figured if I was dumb enough to hit one off-line why reinforce that off-line mentality by rewarding error.

2. See this one a lot from people…using an old ball off the tee on a forced carry distance. You’re cooked before you start generally.

:slight_smile: RR

I’d also say internet forums are a cancer. No way to know if what you are reading what someone is making sound as a certainty is just coming from a high handicapper pretending to know. Nothing like instilling hundreds of swing thoughts and opinions into ones head, on top of which could be coming from posters who don’t even have a clue.

:wink:

(I am a 30+ hcp so of what I read probably IS coming from someone better than I…)

If you stick around here for a while, you’ll realize that this is not the average internet forum. All thoughts given, are given with respect and honesty to the people here, and to the search for improvement. There’s no bluffing in golf, so there’s no bluffing around here.
In relation to hitting a load of balls from one spot, look at any of the great players and you’ll hear them say some version of the same. From Ray Floyd never hitting more than 5 chips from one spot, to Jack Nicklaus only practicing putting with 1 ball, and never the same putt twice in a row(which is the best putting practice advice ever given, imo.) Have you ever noticed that the guys that recommend holing 50 or so putts in a row from 3 feet always tend to be the guys who miss the 3 footers? The two that spring to mind are Mickelson and Monty. That’s pure putting cancer advice, and hitting a load of balls or chips from one spot is the same for the swing, and the mind. As Steb says, you always have to hit the first one well when you’re on the course trying to get it done.

You’ll learn a lesson if you play two balls on the course, and use the worst ball, not the best. Gives a whole new perspective on golf.

I also think that because we have such a defined syllabus here with the modules we don’t get the plethora of contradictory swing tips you’ll see elsewhere. I have no temptation at all to incorporate some new ‘secret’ of the golf swing–I know what I have to do and that’s more drilling. Anything else is diversionary and counterproductive. Just that this board attracts those who don’t wish to buy instant game but put the work in shows an honesty that stems the ego here. It makes me enjoy reading the experiences of the 27 marker here as much as the scratch marker.

In fact on the contrary I think the ad hoministic valuing of information just because it comes from a pro or low marker is dangerous. I respect the thoughts of lag, two, bom, robbo… because their thoughts are so well developed in themselves, not just because they’re accomplished players. Of course being accomplished allows such well developed thoughts, but I’ll read and decide that rather than accepting it because of the poster’s name. Mickelson is a great example–I too have noticed he misses more makable putts than anyone despite being able to sink 250 odd 3 footers in a row. Not only does this make me steer well clear of his recommended 3 foot circle drill despite him being one of the best in the world, it gives me a deeper insight on what doesn’t work and human behavior.

Everyone here is expressing their thoughts to primarily develop their own learning and understanding, not to lecture to seek respect they’re secretly not getting on the course.

Three more swing cancers:

1. Keeping the head still…
    this assures that you will not properly load vertical pressure into the feet. Sam Randolph and I talked the other day also about how forcing the head to stay behind the shot is not going to help anyone. The shoulders rotate, and need to take the head with it. Trying to stay behind the ball encourages the shoulders to move more up and down, and not around the spine.
    Reverse C is not necessary to hit the ball well.

2. Trying to swing on plane.
    Contrary to popular opinion, the plane of a golf club is not a flat 2D plane. It is working in 3D, and trying to swing on plane at all times is a sure way to stunt or hinder proper forearm rotation through transition and into impact. Swinging the club in compatible arcs and loops will do much better to generate both power and accuracy.

3. Thinking of the swing in chronological order.
    Believing that a proper textbook set up is going to produce a proper backswing, that will then set the club perfectly pointing at the target at the top, which then guarantees a great downswing that will then hit perfect golf shots is
    a huge tumorous growth in the belief systems of most analytical golf minds.
    It’s the dynamic release of the golf club from P3 into impact and beyond that sets up the entire golf swing, both pre and post impact. Randoph was telling me the other day how he was trying to explain this to a student, and showed him how he could hit a series of 7 iron shots into a green with 5 completely different backswing paths… which all produced shots that landed nicely on a green within 20 feet of the pin.

Theres a lot of fundamental good advice out there, and a myriad of advices that can work in the right context. But anything that shifts the focus away from impact while playing has the potential to ruin your game IMO.

The goal must be to have a good technque and be able to apply it without thinking about it at all. Plan the shot. Program a motion that will deliver according to plan. Assume address. Aim. Hit the ball. Evaluate. Move on to the next.

I seem to be able to get into this kind of mindset and rhythm when I play alone. I don’t like to drop a lot of extra balls I just hit, evaluate and move on…I seem to hit a lot more good shots when I am alone and I just let it fly.
So what do you guys think, playing alone cancer or cure?

Well, playing golf alone is a great place to learn, particularly if you find yourself doing it better. Ultimately, ‘the zone’ that you hear people talking about is basically like playing alone, regardless of what environment you’re in. Try to be aware of the mindset and mental approach you have as you’re going along- if you can try to understand it and get a bit of a conscious sense of it, then you can learn to find a way into it when you’re not playing alone. From the other side, try to understand and get a bit of a sense of your mindset when you’re not playing alone, and compare the two. It takes a bit of work just like anything else, but if you can play well alone then there’s absolutely no reason why having people around should alter that. Ability is ability, the rest is just noise or no noise. Learning about golf is learning about yourself. Martial arts are like that. It looks like you’re training the body but you’re really training the mind. Though I like to think that you’re listening to and understanding the mind, not telling it what to do. You’re meeting it halfway. It’s a truce.

Golf for me is very much like sex.

Its great when you can get a good fourball together and not quite the same by yourself. :wink:

Playing alone is really great especially if you are on an empty course. I can get a round in at Mare in 2 hours 45 minutes walking.

Walking, hitting shots, and keeping a great pace is a good way to get into the zone. It’s nice to play with someone also, or in a group, but a nice solo round can be great meditation.

I don’t think this is even an option if cancer/cure since I think it has more to do with personality makeup of what one prefers more. Me, being more introverted, agree with Lag here. I actually enjoy golf more when I am alone with my thoughts only on GOLF, fully taking in the beauty of the day and course and getting done at my own pace (whether I want to hurry and get done today or is one of those days I’d rather not be anywhere else and will prolong it).

Being alone also helps me not feel insecure of my game at this point since I am still a beginner, or feeling pressure to hurry along. I find I easily play my worse golf when course is crowded and not only am I having to entertain conversations with partners (sometimes complete strangers who sometimes decide to get drunk or don’t fix a huge divot they just took so I get annoyed/distracted), but also have people waiting on teebox.

I also do enjoy playing with close friends and family when I can, but prefer alone majority of time.

I think talking about negative things on the golf course is pretty cancerous.
I made that mistake today discussing equipment theory regarding flat lie angles, and how they tend to discourage long and left.
I rarely teach on a golf course, but for some reason today I felt a bit more open to doing so… as I joined up with an inquisitive player who had a lot of valid questions and I saw some potential.

After a big lecture about why long and left is so bad, I tried to cut in a little 8 iron shot low and under the wind, and I just flat out hit it too hard, the ball didn’t cut, and I ended up long and left :smiling_imp: with a tricky little chip coming down the hill that I thankfully converted for a par. I might have just fallen asleep on the shot a bit due to …too much conversation before the shot, and lost a chance for a 4th birdie in a row.

Allowing yourself to become distracted… swing cancer!

Here’s a definite cancer: allowing someone else to keep score. I always put up better numbers when I keep the scorecard. Hell, I dropped 6 strokes on my handicap in 4 weeks when my course bought those little pencils that actually had erasers! That was a great year for scoring. :wink:

Captain Chaos