Sir Bob Charles on heavy vs light clubs

Interesting comments from Sir Bob in this video - the part regarding heavy clubs etc starts at 2.00.

youtube.com/watch?v=wiSJzBWPeKk

He says heavy clubs go straighter and that it took him a long time to get into the modern gear because he found the lightweight stuff hard to control.

Cheers

Amen…

The problem is that I doubt any companies today are even making heavier gear, so the general golfing public has no way of even trying this stuff out even if they had a suspicion. It’s just too easy to go along with what everyone else is doing, just figuring "how can 10 million golfers be wrong?

Guess what… :cry:

they’re wrong…

It is great to come across interviews or quotes like that…it all makes sense yet has gotten lost in the mix
Sir Bob is a gentleman of the game and worthy of respect on any account when he talks about golf.

I just received my Scratch wedges 2 days ago.
I had them put tungsten powder/plugs down the end of the hosel to bump the weight and not have to put lead tape all over them
They came out great. The 56 degrees is around D6 and the 60 degree is around E0
Cant wait to get the iron set…they are being chromed as of now because I reshaped them…they all should be around D4 when gripped and done
Weighted equipment can be done…but the off the rack stuff barely sniffs the correct weight needed…mine was personal order…which is a huge shame because the feel of some weight
is so much better than swinging a toothpick for many facets of the game.
Unfortunately they all think the lighter stuff brings distance…and distance sells to your masses…all in the name of marketing

two…

When you add powder down the shaft to add overall head weight, what does that do to the balance of the club?

I guess the benefit of the added weight outweighs (no pun intended) any resultant imbalance, would you actually notice any imabalance

Thanks in advance.

I just got some '74 (ish) Directors last week and they definitely feel heavier than my MP-67’s. Whilst on the subject…the Directors have the Legend 3 shafts, very wide butt diameter (.700") - does anyone have any info on these shafts…getting new grips might not be all that straight forward.

ZM.

Toe weighting has it’s advantages for swingers, but with a hitting protocol, the heel toe balancing issue is not nearly as critical.

The main difference being active hand release or passive for swingers.

If you are firing the hands into impact actively, with firm grip pressure rotating the clubface actively… then you really don’t need toe weighting.

Some hitters prefer the toe weighting shaved off… and there have been some designs that play into this method…
The Hogan Power Thrust’s… and later the Spalding “Bird on the Ball” Tour Editions…come to mind… Hogan, Greg Norman used gear set up this way.

So heel weighting can be fine.

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/16949531[/vimeo]

[size=150]Johnny Miller joins the conversation about lightweight clubs:[/size]

scan0041.jpg

As usual…

Johnny Knows :sunglasses: