Shrimp Nets

I read on the Forum where someone mentioned he ripped his net when hitting balls into it. I understand this is pretty common. I also bought a net last year to use for the Winter season. I payed pretty good money for it and it ripped a couple days after I bought it. A local pro told me to by a shrimp net and tie it to the torn net. That way I could easily attach it to the existing frame.

It worked great. I think I payed about $10 for it on ebay. Never had a problem since.

Thought I would pass this along for those who have become frustrated, like I did, with traditional golf nets.

I built a net as a kid and used heavy army style sleeping bags hung from the cross pole.

You could always stuff them into your impact bag when you are done! :sunglasses:

Thanks for the advice littlealm, that’s useful. It was me who ripped the net although it was 2 years old…

I’m thinking of building a new net for the winter season. The one I have is not deep enough and I have a feeling that it’s better that the ball travel a couple of yards further just to allow enough time for me to complete my forward swing, and have a better idea of the direction - I’m thinking of a big cube-type structure where the net can dampen the impact and collect it rather than bounce it straight back at me.

Anybody have any experiencing in building them? Any advice? I’m sure I could build one on the cheap - they’re very expensive to buy.

Don’t know if this will be helpful since I’m not sure if your winter work is indoors or out…or maybe in a heated garage.

I used a net in my basement years ago and it worked well. All I did was to attach only the net to the floor joists across a span of several feet. I then just let the net fall to the floor and extend some of the excess out a few feet toward me. The excess netting bundled up on the floor was weighted down a little by stacking sleeping bags, carpet remnants, and other dense/heavy articles a few feet away from the net

I did have some bounce back problems at times but not too bad…usually the remnants, etc, caught most of them. If I were to do it again, I would probably fold the net over itself before attaching it to the joists…so there would be 2 layers of net…which would seem to create more “slack” in a way which I think is important to reduce rebound.

Those were fun times in the basement but it may cause a problem now because PV5 finds the joists quickly. :slight_smile: RR

I bought high-quality golf netting once from a netting company and smashed a full-length mirror and couple of holes in the drywall just shy of the plasma screen. I thought I’d somehow shanked the balls and they missed the net, ricocheting around but once I caught one on camera going through the net. Netting company (specialize in golf netting) refused to believe their net could be pierced, thought I must be a long drive champion until I told them I was hitting a 6-iron. Got them to exchange the netting for a knotless 96 ply with 3/4" cells and it’s been perfect.

Hangs via curtain rings on high-tensile wire, not secured on sides or bottom. This eliminates bounce back.

Hmm - winter is coming it seems…

I once hung a blanket over a metal fence and hit irons into it - only later i realized i dented the whole fence :cry: . Now i just hang a thick blanket in the attic and hit into it, it works just fine - but i´m not really a big fan of hitting indoors anyways.