Shaping shots

I’m just starting to be able to shape shots on call, but as a novice I’m noticing that I often ‘over cook’ my shots. I’ll often do too much to get what I want if you know what I mean. If you guys want to hit a slight fade would you open the club and take a normal swing, ie if your normal shot is angle hinge then do that with a weaker grip? Or do you always try to take the same grip and adjust hinges to suit, ie lay back or roll? For example, I needed a draw today so I closed the face a little, aimed to start right but then my thoughts said “draw” so rolled over and hooked too much, if I just did one or the other might have been ok, but not both. Maybe it’s just time and balance for me to learn but would love to hear your thoughts on your very fine tuning of these shots.

There are a lot of ways to draw and fade shots… certainly some better than others.

Moving the ball around in the stance in reference to lowpoint…
Moving the ball around in reference to swing arc.
Opening and closing the face then regripping the club and swinging normal.
Throwing the hands early to try to hook or draw it… (bad idea)
Holding off release creating more forward shaft lean and losing the loft of the club. (inconsistent strikes and low shots)
rolling the wrists over more through impact (dangerous)
Finishing flatter, or altering swing plane for a fade…
Finishing higher to disconnect the arms from the body and moving more into a swingers plane with more clubface roll…
Relaxing the right arm to hook the ball (snap hook the ball)
firming the right arm up through impact to fade the ball (better idea)
Coming OTT to cut the ball (bad idea)
looping it inside with steep shoulders, then flicking at it with the hands to hook (or snap hook it)

I could probably come up with a dozen other scenarios…

In the class here, I teach a very simple method that is much more reliable but takes a bit of work to get there, because the body has to
be doing the right things, and the student has to be comfortable using a hitters angled hinge action, but is is no doubt the preferred method
of many great strikers… even if they don’t exactly know how to describe it.

I don’t in anyway mean to be secretive here, but it’s just something that has to be worked towards with the correct protocols in place first or it simply won’t work.

What are your thoughts on what you are doing now? anything above ring a bell or can you add some stuff to that list? :astonished:

My thoughts would be to keep it simple as possible, try to do the same swing and adjust, open close, the club face a little? If you keep the swing the same there may be less chance of error. I’ve been aiming the club face at the target and setting up on the line I want the ball to start. Disasters happen when I try to effect hinges on full shots. There just seems to be a fine line between pleasure and pain,

I would call that rotating your plane line around. A good way to do it.

The negative side might be that when you re grip the club, you are changing the gravitational center of the sweetspot, therefore drastically changing the feel of the club in your hands.

If you don’t re grip the club and simply twist your hands at address, then you aren’t really doing anything, other than suggesting a different wrist position as you move the club around, which also can feel very awkward. Also you run the risk of the hands simply going back to where they were the old way…

I do rotate the club in my hands under extreme situations, hooking around a tree or such.

Of all the options available, the main thing is to find a method that works for you at the stage of your current swings development.

Thanks Lag, that all makes good sense indeed.

At my present stage I’ll stick the the slight “rotating plane line” as you call it. Need to solidify the improvements I have made with Bio over the last 3 months so want to keep my action regular if that makes sense? At least now I’m at a stage where my swing is repeatable enough and my contact good enough that opening and closing the club to actually make a predictable difference. That’ll do for know.