Sequencing the power accumulators with proper intentions

Hi Badger,

Your description really reminded me of the pic of Gary Player on the 4.30 line - I can,t post the pic
as I am on my phone but hopefully this link will get you to the image

http://www.lagpressure.com/insights.html

Does that map on to your feel?

Cheers, arnie

AA,
I am familiar with that pic but I haven’t referenced it since I started the Module 1 drills. I would have to say I don’t know what I look like from above but I FEEL that way except for my right knee may be pointed a bit more in toward the left one at that point. When I first tried to incorporate the Mod 1 drill into a full/three-quarter swing, it almost felt as impossible as that Gary Player pic looked the first time I saw it. Now it seems normal after only a few days of trying for it. I need to add that explosiveness to it that I suspect lies in the 5th Accumulator drills. :wink:

Bagger

As much as I would love to teach everyone the golf swing in one amazing drill, I have yet to figure out how to do it…
I don’t think learning the golf swing is much more different that learning chords of a piano or guitar. The chords then
offer lightbulb moments to soloing and scales…

We could think of the modules as A B C D E F G with the supplementary vids as being the sharps and flats in between.

Once we have them into automatic zone, then we can let our inner golfer get on with really flowing the game just as a great musician feels their music. It’s not all that different. I know. :sunglasses:

Arnie had some good questions about the feeling of synchronizing the upper and lower body on the downswing…

The legs and hips will always run before the torso… what I am trying to get you all to feel is a much better connection between the two… so they feel more in sync with one another.
We certainly want to initiate the transition with the legs… for me it is the right knee, moving from straight to flexed creating my initial vertical ground pressure. I like the “sit” more at this point than the slide, because most who slide open the hips too soon and loose the ground forces… Hogan did a slide without a turn… which is very advanced stuff… even for me… I have tried it with no luck… very tricky. If someone can do it …great… I like it a lot, but tough to teach… I don’t like teaching things I can’t do or even properly demonstrate.
Snead did more of a sit and center… I think that is a simpler image.

I suspect a lot of your sensations are stemming from being very upright…
When you get the club more flat and around you… the backswing shortens considerably in length, and when things are all loaded up and packed in tight… you can feel the hip turn being much more aggressive and be in good sequence. I think this is exactly what Hogan felt too when he would describe the quick hip thing from the top… spinning the hips… that is an accurate feeling from where he was at the top, but if you are upright and have to rely upon a big drop or plane shift… it makes the whole procedure much more complicated than it needs to be.

Also, remember the better your module 2 work, the more connected everything will be both in feeling and reality… and the better you are at module #3, the easier it is to have the patience to drop into the slot from any amount of plane shifting… knowing you have the motor on the other side to accelerate the golf club.

Being able to rely upon post impact acceleration rather than pre impact velocity is the golden egg so to speak.

2 Likes

Classic thread bump. I like the stuff about the right arm straightening at the start of the downswing. Key point that I’m working on right now. It very much ties in to the project OTT stuff, if you are reading, GIR.

thanks for bumping this CRR. That was a good read.

Yes, thanks for bumping crr. These post were prior to joining ABS, and unfortunately I had not seen them. What a treasure trove. Lots of gold nuggets here.

There’s many more back in the “archives,” so to speak. I actually think lag tipped his hand on what’s to come more in this older thread than he normally does nowadays, since so much of his time his spent reigning in and focusing new, eager, and enthusiastic students–i.e. us–on the crucial early fundamental modules. That right arm stuff, for me, is so critical because I basically have a baseball swing with a golf club. Having learned a little bit now, I see how different my swing is to some of the newer guys who have been “taught” a swingers golf swing–steep shouldered pivot stall with VERY quiet lower body. For people who swing like this, straightening the right arm early in the downswing (keeping the arms with the body) is very natural and easy to do because the legs are so quiet anyway. For me, swinging a golf club like a baseball bat, the hips go first and the right arm stays bent much longer. As a result, I’ve always blocked myself out of the slot and had to fire my hands early to catch up. As a result, though I quickly mastered the drill techniques, I couldn’t find 4:30 on the course. I’ve realized this now and have basically remediated myself, working very hard on 430. I am drawing it in the grass with my club before swinging and trying to pitch my right elbow on the line in transition. In point of fact, my first practice session with these intentions produced the ugliest, most glorious and welcomed hooks I’ve ever produced…

In fairness to my baseball-style swing, I should also note that a pivot-driven flat-shouldered action and some of the ground pressure/post-impact stuff feel very natural for me. I plan to really iron out this 430 stuff over the next month and then try to move forward with more modules.

Honestly, I’m not one to walk around harboring secrets. The earlier modules with the bag work are to intensively train the muscles so that ultimately when we get around to hitting balls… and the later modules are all about hitting balls…we have a very realistic chance of properly connecting the dots so that things make sense. I can talk about concepts, and what the body should be doing here or there in the swing dynamically, but if you haven’t trained the muscles to work in these often very unusual feeling foreign ways… it’s very hard to really get it. To get it means to own it… to do it… to be able to apply it on the golf course without having to think about it.

I have made the point many times… you can’t think your way through the golf swing. You have to train your way through it.
Some people do it by grinding tens of thousands of balls or hundreds of thousands… but I believe you can really waste a lot of time doing that if you are not working on the right things.

No, no. I didnt mean to imply that you are purposely withholding–more so paternally keeping on task. I meant that part of your job mentoring us is to keep us focused as you detailed above. We are all very eager and the most important thing is putting things in place piece by piece and building one at a time.

Definitely reading here. There is A TON of great information in the forums here to browse. Of course the modules are the core focus, and I certainly don’t want to get ahead of myself in the module work, but I’ll give the right arm thing a try out on the range, especially if it helps with OTT. If I understand this right arm motion correctly it is the same sort of right arm motion as doing a curl with a barbell where you drop the barbell downwards with your arm?

I would have to defer to the experts on this, but yes, this is my understanding.

Yes, but don’t drop it all the way… say to about 120 degrees, then it freezes and is taken over to P4 by pivot rotation in unison with forearm rotation to help the shaft stay under plane and stabilize lowpoint.

Very difficult if not impossible to consciously think about. With the students I sneak it into their routine via module work… without them knowing! :sunglasses:

I once showed this move to a struggling amateur on the range and had him hitting a foot behind the ball taking up huge toupee’s of turf for an hour before he had me running out the clubhouse gates dodging bullets from his shotgun.

Proceed with caution!

So it’s really very much the feeling of entry along the 4:30 line into the strike, and exit on the 7:30 line post impact.

Hook our way in… cut our way out. Net zero… straight laser shots.
Accelerate, hold shaft flex, swing plane locked in place by opposing forces, minimize clubface rotation through the strike.

5 Likes

This thread is a great read! Really clearifies a lot of things that I was a little confused about. Great stuff!

2 Likes

“I once showed this move (straightening right arm) to a struggling amateur on the range and had him hitting a foot behind the ball taking up huge toupee’s of turf for an hour before he had me running out the clubhouse gates dodging bullets from his shotgun.”

What is the next step, higher right shoulder through impact?

Probably confirms why I teach this move in Module 6 and not Module 1.

With real club swings.It seems that I get great sync feeling when I have a slight pause at the top of the backswing. From there all I think is 430 line (with shoulders being more closed into transition) . Seems to unwind everything like clock work. With a feeling of the lower body running towards the target. And a feeling of pivoting on the back leg versus the front one.When I’m synced up the club face feels like it never turns over. A wide square clubface

https://youtu.be/qTc-jc9W24Y

Good thoughts on transitioning…