Removing Graphite shafts from Persimmon

Can anyone offer any advice on how to remove a graphite shaft from a persimmon wood?

I’ve removed loads of steel shafts, but the method of heating a bar and inserting it inside the shaft and twisting the head off doesn’t work on graphite. I’ve tried using a shaft puller too with no joy.

Hey NRG, I have the Maltby book, it recommends putting a plastic bag around the head with a rubber band and immersing
the thing in boiling water… to soften the epoxy., Hot- rod will likely cause the graphite to unravel…from waht I have read…
I had a Honma persimmon head that had a graphite shaft I just cut it off flush the hosel, and drilled it out…
obviously I was not interested in saving the shaft, and ended up messing the head up when I tried my 1st rebore! :astonished:

hope that helps
Dale

Removing graphite shafts from persimmon heads can be tough and a bit risky. I have had some success with a heat gun especially when a refinish is required, just be careful, go slow and try not to discolor the head with too much heat Try a pry-bar (make one from a nail puller if necessary by enlarging the opening with a file or similar tool) for simple mechanical leverage and be patient. Obviously you will scar a bit of the neck but as long as there is enough remaining to shaft then you can make a new neck. The cooking bag method actually works too but again you must pull straight out with no twisting. To save the shaft you must pull straight back. If I remember right, there is about a 25 degree difference between the melt point of epoxy and of the resin in the graphite shaft so shafts can be saved.

I usually just sacrifice the shaft and step drill the shaft from the smallest diameter bit on out to the desired diameter. Think about some aviation long cobalt drill bits from ebay. I got a bunch for a fair price and they are long enough to really work well and come in a variety of diameters. Never try to take too much shaft at one time and let the shaft guide the bits. It is critical to have a good size assortment of bits. Also consider investing in a Drill Doctor bit sharpener (1/8" up to about 1/2" bits - Sears.

Thanks for the help lads.