Presidents Cup

Anyone see the Presidents Cup Day 2 coverage from Royal Melbourne ?

Wow that was fun to watch. 30 mile an hr northerly, greens at 14 on the stimp. Most players had no idea. Never in their lives had they experienced greens as demanding. You simply HAD to control ur spin and flight. 30 ft under the hole was way better than 4 ft above. They kept attacking her, and they all paid dearly. I thought Tiger was outstanding, he just kept missing putts, but he seemed to have more uphill putts than most.

Just great to see that it matters what side of the fairway you hit…on every hole.

What a wonderful test of golf

Steve

Yep watched all of it on the Telly.

Course played differently every day. The fast greens were great to see aswell. Made players really think about their approach shots.
I rekon your average scratch player would have been lucky to break 90 on the first day.

Tiger struck the ball as good as anyone, as did Bubba watson but he couldnt buy a putt. Tiger found his putting range today and played very solid.

Mickleson played like a 20 handicapper on the last day…

Congrats to the US team though.

Yup USA team too good. Congrats.

But the winner was the old lady, Royal Melbourne

Steve

Thanks “Internationals”…it was fun to watch. I was surprised at the outcome and thought we’d get bludgeoned as we did in the 90’s.

No doubt Royal Melbourne was the star! I’d love to try my hand at that course and have my lunch handed to me. Well, probably breakfast, lunch and dinner. :wink:

Captain Chaos

My most vivid memory of Royal Melbourne was witnessing Greg Norman win by 10 shots. Fun to pull up this old clip and see Bradley and I along with Peter Senior and Shearer packed in at 296 only 23 shots back! :laughing:

I remember thinking that if this was a US collegiate event I would have been right there with the course playing this tough. Given this was in the persimmon age, and not playing the way it plays now… it was a big wake up call for me. I remember hitting balls on the range between Greg Norman and Sandy Lyle. The sound of what they were doing was so different than mine at that time. I wanted that. While I may have won the most consistent award trophy that week, I simply didn’t see 6 birdies out there to be had with the course that long and the greens that fast. Only two rounds shot in the 60’s the last day. It played really tough. By far my best round of the week.

Davis’ 66 was pretty amazing, also equally amazing that he shot 79 on Friday and still made the cut.

I remembered talking to Jerry Anderson whom I knew well from the Canadian Tour after the 3rd round, he was 6 under and paired with Norman going into the last day only 8 back! I remember him saying that anything could happen out there on that golf course. Hard to believe he shot 82 the next day.

Nice to see Royal Melbourne still a relevant golf course.