Post your new ebay purchases

[b]robbo
simply gorgeous—
awesome…

bent[/b]

Thanks bent.

btw… you will love the Hogans. That’s a heck of a buy on the PT’s in that condition. What shaft did they come with?

robbo

Been on a forged run here in town. I rejoined a par three course for the winter rate -til 1May. It’s part of the First Tee, an inner city one near the Tennesee river. If you played most of the full courses around the area, and figured in a crappy drive it would still play tougher. Got a 250 yard hole and a bunch tipping the 180/190 range. Small undulating greens to boot.

Anyhow, a lot of folks donate clubs. I asked the pro, a top player and great guy, if he had gotten any blade sets in since I’ve been gone. Deep in the back room I found a set (2 thru E) of 88 Apex Redlines. They look like they’ve been played less than a couple of dozen times. Had stiff shafts, so all he needs to do is bend them to 4 flat. Got such a good deal, I splurged for new grips - cost more than the clubs. Might lead tape them, but they have such a classic look…

Flop

Great stuff guys.

Robbo, the flatbacks look amazing. Without an obvious muscle where does the weight sit or is just evenly distributed?

Flop - those 88 Redlines are nice, I have some and I really like them particularlty the short irons.

Cheers, Arnie

Arnie

Should be getting them all ready to go tomorrow afternoon. Can’t wait to put them into operation. Also had hit some Miz and Founders Clubs, but the Hogan’s just kept calling my name. Switching brtween those and the meaty Turfriders should be a lot of “feel” fun.

Flop

Here were the clubs I purchased on a trip down to Santa Cruz.

1957 Macgregor Colokroms (2-9 iron) the soles were scuffed up
http://www.facebook.com/jose.figueroa?ref=name#/photo.php?pid=2955875&id=683714386

1958 Wilson Staff Dynas (2-9 iron) arrow on hosel
http://www.facebook.com/jose.figueroa?ref=name#/photo.php?pid=2955877&id=683714386&fbid=174392494386

These were the clubs i got on ebay. There were in great shape.
1961 Hogan Thrusts (1-4 wood and 2-pw)
http://www.facebook.com/jose.figueroa?ref=name#/photo.php?pid=2955876&id=683714386&fbid=174392449386

One of the great MacGregor sets, one of the great Dyna sets, and one of the great Hogan sets…
Hogan actually designed those heads himself. In later years, Gene did the designs with Hogan’s approval and consultation of course. Three home runs there…!

congrats!

Arnie,

As near as I can tell the weight is very evenly distributed in the head. They aren’t terribly heavy swingweight wise, right at about D4. I hit a few balls with the 5-iron at the range yesterday and they have a very solid feel.

I get quite a bit of ribbing from the guys I play with about my retro irons even though many of them will pick up a Hogan PC and say “you know this looks pretty good!”

The flatbacks look almost new - I’m not sure some of them were ever hit. So… as a little “experiment”, when I eventually put them in play, I plan to announce that I finally broke down, went and got fitted for some new irons, and decided to go with MacGregor’s newest offering …“The Flatback”. I want to see just how many guys will figure out that they’re 45 y/o. :laughing:

robbo

I love my set of flatbacks…

I need to put some X100’s in mine, as the S300s are a bit soft for me…
I don’t think irons get purer or cleaner than those…

[b]I would love to find some history on these things—they looked pretty, so I picked them up for next to nothing—

MacGregor VIP’s

Driver-3-4-5 all in great shape…[/b]

mac1.JPG

mac2.JPG

mac3.JPG

mac4.JPG

bent,

I don’t have any details about those, but I’ve always liked the look of that aluminum insert in a nice blonde head. Something about the “rounded” look of the VIPs that is so appealing.

Those look awesome… nice find,

robbo

Beautiful find.

I couldn’t find a topic like this around, so I figured I’d start one. There’s just so much great(worthless :unamused: ) stuff to find on there.
If I could restore clubs I’d be all over these- especially the one the black dot in the centre, the grain in the face looks so pure!

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 146wt_1152

good idea for a thread Bom, however, I think to avoid in fighting if someone is interested they should declare their interest. No point in a load of ABS guys bidding against each other!

Crap! Good point, Styles. Maybe I opened a can of worms that we should just close again. I sometimes wondered were we all driving the prices up by ourselves- that would be funny. We could post the things we don’t want but then if someone else had their eye on it then it would be messy. Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea after all. Now that I think about it a little more, it would be better to PM things we see to the people you would imagine would be interested instead of putting them out for us to bid against eachother. What do you think- is that a better way to do it? Should this thread just skulk quietly backwards out of the room and hope that nobody saw him :confused:

https://forum.advancedballstriking.com/t/great-equipment-alerts/459/1

There is actually a thread already going on this topic- 13 pages worth so far!! Hate to give out the bargains but I have enough in my garage already- so go to it boys

Don’t have pics yet, but I walked into a golf shop to kill some time and found a set of 1971 Hogan “Round Sole” 3-E for $29. They have Apex 5 shafts and leather wrap grips! Some days we just get lucky!

I thought I was dreaming remembering that thread- I couldn’t find it anywhere! I was thinking it was a part of the post your ebay purchases… good stuff
Thanks twomasters…

One of my last iron set purchases for a while. I have one more set on the way.

These are some Mac PT3’s from 1958. I hit the 6-iron a few times over the weekend… it’s a very solid feeling club. These are a full half-inch shorter than standard and almost an inch shorter than my usual specs … I think that’s how clubs were in the late 50’s. I’m thinking of keeping this set “as-is” (old loft specs, Propel Action #3 shafts) other than some flattening of the lie angles and new grips (the leather ones are simply too slick).

pt3's 001.jpg
pt3's 002.jpg
pt3's 003.jpg
pt3's 004.jpg

robbo

Nice one Robbo! I really like the shorter clubs in the older sets witha 5 iron at 37.5 or 37 inches.

Cheers, G