Playing Persimmon in the Titanium Age

I found some old Hogan speed slots 1,3,4,5 woods that belonged to my dad. I tried using these, and what I liked a lot about them is that for some reason, my dispersion with these on my mis-hits aren’t as wide as they are when I mis-hit my modern woods. I also noticed that on uneven lies, I hit better with these; it’s like the smaller heads don’t get in the way of the slopy ground. I also seem to hit them on the sweet spot more; I don’t know if I’m more focussed because of the smaller heads, or maybe it’s that small red rectangle on the top of the head that I use for aiming.

In short, I really like using these clubs.

I want to know, though, what are the realistic distances that these clubs could give an average golfer using modern golf balls. I usually hit my modern driver around 260-280, and when I was hitting my modern woods really well, I was getting about 220-230 with my 3 wood.

Let’s say I could get comfortable and hit these really well, what distances can I expect with these wooden woods with a modern golf ball, with the 1,3,4,5, so that I can set my expectations right, and know what clubs to use for what courses.

On a different note, the 3 wood’s steel shaft broke at the grip while I was practice swinging it at home … through rust, hehehe. :smiley:

Todays modern ball as you pointed out is designed for the titanium beasts–harder to compress with persimmon

In general I would think going by the yardages you suggested you already hit the ball- you would lose maybe 10% with the driver and around 5 to 7% with the 3 wood- to begin with -but the swing will improve in leaps and bounds as you have already suggested you had some great feelings working with the Hogans

that’s about how I find it when I use them and compare…any other takers on that thought ?

Thanks for the reply.

I didn’t even think about that … the modern golf balls being tougher to compress with old equipment. I just thought they’d go farther since they’re modern. Interesting.

Seems like I’d be losing about 25 yards with the driver, and about 10 to 15 yards with the woods. I’d probably be able to still keep the woods, but the driver is really the big difference. One thing, though; I noticed that while I’m using the Hogan woods, I’d have to consciously make an effort when it’s time to tee off with the modern driver during the game. It’s like the shaft is leaning so much more forward to get the face square; then again, maybe the loft of my modern driver is just high (12).

The feel of the wooden wood is very different from the metal wood; it’s almost like a hammer or a baseball bat. Feels good to hit when struck properly, but the mis-hits aren’t bad either. :slight_smile:

Hi Kamandi and welcome.

I agree with you there, when I mishit a persimmon wood generally I find the ball still on the fairway or very near rather than 2 fairways right or left with a modern driver…

Kamandi,
Try using one of the older wound balls like Titleist Tour balatas, professionals, or prestige balls, the Maxfli Revolution is also good. You can find them on ebay occasionally. The professionals and the prestige balls perform the best and have a much better feel off the face than a modern Pro V and your clubs will hold up better with these balls. I also find I’m about 10 to 12 percent shorter with persimmons, but I’d sacrifice that anytime on a classic course that doesn’t demand me to hit a 280 yard Titanium blast. Good luck!

I have a Wilson Staff Tour driver and 3 wood that I take to the range to make practice harder.

With the low compression balls there the loss in difference is negligible.

I love the fact that you guys are in love with the old stuff but I gotta say that if I’m in the final of the club matchplay, I’m going in armed to the teeth and that means my FT5 is going with me!

People always say that blades and persimmon are hard to hit…

A Ferrari with a high compression gear box is also hard to drive…

Would you rather take a Ferrari out onto the Grand Prix track… or a a Cadallac luxury car with an automatic transmission
that feels soft and doesn’t give you the feedback and response of a sports car?

Old gear is more like tight suspension and handling… for cornering and maneuverability…

new gear is more like a drag racing setup… straight lines and speed only.

Just depends on what kind of track you are playing.

I’ve been playing the Srixon “Soft Feel” for the last few weeks as I’ve been using the persimmon. I find little difference in feel and/or distance off the irons compared to the ProV1. Off the driver it probably performs/feels more like the old balatas. It’s a low compression (which may be a factor based on TM’s response) high spin ball and they’re cheap… $16/doz at the PGA Superstore… $20/doz elsewhere.

I’m anxious to see if it performs much differently in the warmer weather as most of my play lately has been in sub 50 degree temps. If it performs similarly as it does now it could become my ball of choice.

robbo

Just received yesterday 2 dozens of the Soft Feel. I tried one about a month ago and the spin I was getting on our hard and dry greens was much better than the Wilson DX2 Soft that I was using before.Distance wise very good and no difference to my modern driver, that could be also depending on the fact that I joined ABS lately… :sunglasses:

@ Pippolo, robo, & freddiec,

Thanks for the advice on the balls. I might try out the soft feel, low compression balls you’ve mentioned. I am a cheapskate when it comes to golfballs, though. I buy them 2nd hand … usually titleist prov1’s at $2 for 12 beat up ones, hehehe. I’ll probably try to find those brands 2nd hand too. :smiley:

@ lagpressure,

Although I’m not a very good player (yet), I get what you’re saying. I used to play these orlimar sf-302 irons which are pretty good, and quite workable for a cavityback, but lately, it’s been feeling a bit big and clunky, specially with the slightly wide-ish, bounce-ish sole. It also feels the weight isn’t properly concentrated where it should be.

I found my dad’s old 1960s Ben Hogan percussion blades, well, at least the #3 and #6, and I tried them out and really liked them. I really like the smaller head and less bouncy soles … it’s like it gets me to focus more, and it really feels like I’m slicing the ball. I found out I don’t really like a lot of bounce. I ended up recently ordering the remaining clubs through the net, and should have them with me maybe late January. :slight_smile:

Come January, I’ll also have my Ben Hogan 3 wood reshafted. I can’t wait. :slight_smile:

I saw an interesting film the other day about the history of three famous electric guitarist from three different generations.
The youngest of them, said that he felt it was important to him, to make playing as difficult as possible at times… and would even go so far as to play cheap plastic guitars you might find at a department store, or even pull strings off his guitar and still get his point across. In the opening scene, he built a one string electric guitar in about 5 minutes from a 2 x 4, an old coke bottle, and a wound electromagnetic pickup nailed to the board. He really made it sing and could do what he needed to do with it.

He even went so far as to say that technology will do nothing to make you a better musician. Basically saying, “you” have to get better, not the gear.

I thought it was a real parallel to golf. Work on your golf swing… don’t use technology as a crutch… if you can properly learn to move a heavier stick around your body… then you can let “you” determine what happens… not the gear.

Later in the documentary, he played a new beautiful guitar, but knowing he could hold his own if he had to… with a 2 x 4 and a coke bottle, I am sure gives him great confidence dealing with any adversity that could come his way in a live performance or in life in general. Inspiring stuff.

Funnily enough Lag I watched that on the plane back from San Fran - It Might get Loud with Jimmy Page, the Edge and Jack White - it was a fun film and I remember the bit about technology and thinking about the parrallel with golf.

Great stuff,

Arnie

I would rephrase what you are saying Lag. Blades and persimmons are less forgiving. A good swing will hit both equally well though.

Would I rather drive last years Ferrarri with practically no drivers aids or would I want the traction control and launch systems of a few years earlier? If I was racing for the world chaqmpionship then I’d want every advantage I could get. If I wanted to experience the thrill of F! from a bygone era then I guess I’d have to buy goggles, a leather flying helmet and take my chances in a the motor Sterling Moss or Fangio drove.

Old gear is for nostalgia, new gear is for excitement.

Styles I am not sure its quite right to characterise those who play persimmon as simply indulging in nostalgia. There are plenty of practical reasons for playing persimmon that have already been listed in this thread but let me touch on just one of those. In terms of excitement I think it really depends on where you draw your enjoyment of the game from. If I think about my home course a good ball striker using a modern titanium driver, excluding the 4 par 3’s, will probably hit 1 long and 1 medium iron in the entire round. All the rest will be short irons, the majority wedges of some variety. Is that exciting? If your primary focus is on your score / lowering your handicap in the immediate sense it might well be. Nothing wrong with that as after all the game has always been about getting the ball in the hole in the least number of shots. But I can’t escape the fact that for me personally the same course is a more interesting and exciting challenge using persimmon and facing a greater variety of approach shots to the green. There are hundreds of great courses in the UK & Eire that are in the same situation as my own. Old or new, each to their own I say.

Cheers,

Arnie

Love the old persimmons and being able to dicker around with the bulge and roll, but from a clubmaker/repairer perspective they were a little labor intensive. Plus those razor sharp screws!! but I love them personally. Hey does anyone know where I can get some metal replacement spikes. Had an old titanium tipped pair last and loved them. Have looked long and hard but didn’t have any luck finding any. Really need some bad.

Some discussion on metal spikes in the thread http://lagpressure.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=437

Cheers, Arnie

To Addington Arnie: Thank you kindly. Will review. If you have time can you please tell me how I could have found that discussion on my own by telling me sequentially what page to go to and what to click onto. Still new at this computer business- a little overwhelming at times. BUT I"LL GET IT EVENTUALLY! If you don’t have time, that’s ok too. Thanks again

Addington Arnie: Never mind…I just found it. Should have started the computer stuff long ago.

I don’t disagree with you Arnie. I do disagree that ‘modern gear’ is always a step backwards though. A set of Callaway blades used by Phil Mickelson is as good as anything produced in the 70s and a modern set of Miuras are much better than anything produced from that time.

In the same way that you feel playing persimmon isn’t always about nostalgia, I feel that modern gear and the game today isn’t a game of drag racing.

“With perimeter weighted clubs, considering my shots on a scale from 1 to 10, I know I wouldn’t hit a shot worse than a 6, but because of the club’s resistance to subtle influences I may want to impart, my best shots wouldn’t be better than an 8 or a 9.
With blades, my bad shot might be as bad as a 3, but my best shots would be 10’s, and the difference between 8 and 9’s and a 10 at the top end of the scale is the difference between winning and losing a major championship”

Above----This was a quote by Nick Price–

—sort of sums up the differences between perimeter and blades–

I like the older stuff more because of the actual overall weight and swingweight…There is a time and place for different equipment… I think the heavier compact blade is better- for me–for many various reasons